How to Simplify Ubuntu Interface

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
mahaju

How to Simplify Ubuntu Interface

#1 Post by mahaju »

I like to use VMWare player to practice using Linux and and I have found Puppy very useful and easy to use
Now that I am familiar with Linux I would also like to try out Ubuntu, but I don't like it's flashy resource hungry interface
My experience is that usually when I try to run such high graphics demanding programs in VMWare it just causes my Windows to crawl to a halt. Is it possible to make the Ubuntu interface as simple as puppy linux, before it launches it's graphical interface for the first time after installation I mean?

Thanks
noryb009

#2 Post by noryb009 »

With ubuntu's new unity interface, I don't think you can do much, but you could try either xubuntu or lubuntu, which use different window managers.
mahaju

#3 Post by mahaju »

Thanks I think I will try lubuntu first
I also tried using Fedora but it also gives me the same problem
As soon as it's GUI starts running my Windows starts slowing down
(like I said I am using them on VMWare player)
nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

AFAIK one can adjust how much memory is dedicated to either the Host or to the Guest.

If one give too little to the Host that constrain the Host.
If one give too little to the Guest that hamper the Guest.

So say you have Puppy as host. Check how much mem it needs to have a Guest as big as Ubuntu whatever. Change what the wmware dedicate to the Host and to the Guest.

Adjust up or down until it works or change to a computer that have more RAM.

Or change to a less RAM hungry OS.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
mahaju

#5 Post by mahaju »

I have windows as host and wanted to try out Ubuntu
However I am now trying out lubuntu and it is working fine right now
The main reason I think that Ubuntu and Fedora are so slow is because their graphical interface needs a lot of free RAM. It's nice to look at, but I think it's quite unnecessary for just trying out the OS
My computer can handle Ubuntu but for that I will need to make an Ubuntu live CD and use my computer for just trying out Ubuntu only, and I have other work that I need to do in Windows
Anyway, for now I have lubuntu installed and it is working quite good
Thanks everyone
benali72

You can still use older interface w/ Ubuntu 11.04

#6 Post by benali72 »

Ubuntu 11.04 still allows you to use the old interface if you want (instead of the new Unity interface). You select the older interface on the login screen.
Swaphead

#7 Post by Swaphead »

I have tried the new Ubuntu 11.04 and found it far too flashy and complicated for my tastes.

I never tried this feature so I've no idea if it will work or make a difference to performance:

http://scottlinux.com/2011/03/05/ubuntu ... sic-gnome/

Tbh I'm too dumb to use Puppy full-time - I am still very much at the bottom of the learning
curve!

I've been using Lubuntu since 10.04 and I can vouch for its speed/ low memory usage -
although, of course, Puppy is faster and the lower your PC spec is the faster Puppy will be by comparison.

You might also like the look of Bodhi Linux -
there's hardly any software installed but it has its own version of the Software Centre.
grimoire

#8 Post by grimoire »

Ubuntu 11.04 works with my system :)
stu90

#9 Post by stu90 »

This new interface ubuntu is using has put me right off even trying it as a live usb - as for lubuntu the .iso seems to grow by 100's of mb each release - it is now only a few mb smaller than ubuntu !