Rose Garden - for musicians

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
wombat

Rose Garden - for musicians

#1 Post by wombat »

G'day all, I was running a recent Mandriva Distro and came across a program called "Rose Garden" in it.
This appears to be a really impressive program for any musically inclined person.
Is there any chance it could be made to be useable in Puppy as a "dot pup" I don't know what size it is but it certainly looks interesting.
It obviously leads into a proffessional area with commercial programs and could have interesting spin-offs.

Is there any similar program currently included in any of the Puppy libraries?
Cheers, Wombat.
MU

#2 Post by MU »

toddyjoe

#3 Post by toddyjoe »

Rosegarden has some good sequencing stuff in it. If you want to try other programs that work great for MIDI and sequencing, I have recently found two other fine musician programs that work with Puppy:

DSSI-VST - A VST plug-in player that allows you to play Windows-based VST instrument plug-ins (dll extensions). Getting this to work actually made the whole Linux experiment worthwhile for me because the wealth of great plug-ins out there are Windows-based. Unlike the few other Linux programs that can play Windows VSTs, this one actually installs fairly easily and uses modern versions of Wine and the Steinberg VST headers (similar Linux programs like FST and VSTServer require old versions of Wine like 2004-0505 and the older version of the Steinberg VST headers). So far, every Windows VST I have tried works.

FLUIDSYNTH (and the QSYNTH graphical interface) - A nice Soundfont player if you are less into physically-modeled VSTs and prefer sampled Soundfonts. Simple to use and easier to compile from scratch than even DSSI-VST. With the Qsynth graphical interface, I found it easier to set up and manipulate than Rosegarden.

I currently use these two with a version of Puppy 1.0.8rc1 with a low-latency kernel, JACK (and the Qjackctl graphical interface), the stock ALSA that comes with that version of Puppy, and a MIDI graphical keyboard program called Vkeybd Virtual Keyboard. I am currently trying to get Puppy 2 to work on the same computer to see if they work with Puppy 2 as well. As soon as I get my external MIDI keyboard working, I am going to put the whole package together and maybe abandon Windows for my sequencing computer altogether.
wombat

#4 Post by wombat »

Thankyou for your posts, I was actually asked by a musician about a suitable program like this, but I wasn't able to get the thing working even in the major distros and I don't have enough experience to install and set it up, so the chap moved on to one of the commercial windows programs.

I think Rosegarden has the abilities he was after to be able to make and unite separate individal tracks.

I will watch for someone to lead the way and copy them.
It wouldn't work in SuSe-slick either.
Thank you all for your assistance.
Wombat.
fudgy

#5 Post by fudgy »

wombat,

have you ever tried a dedicated linux audio distro like ReMuDi ?

fudgy
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

keep an eye on grafpup.com

Nathan is extending Grafpup into a multimedia centric distro and his add on .pups are very good - most still work in Puppy (I hope that continues)

:lol:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D
toddyjoe

#7 Post by toddyjoe »

I have several audio/musician dotpups I am working on that should be available in a few days. They include the following:

(1) JACK and Qjackctl dotpup
The well-known audio connection programs compiled from source. Qjackctl is the graphical interface for JACK that makes it a whole lot easier to use.

(2) Fluidsynth and Qsynth dotpup
A Soundfont player compiled from source. Qsynth is the graphical interface for Fluidsynth.

(3) Vkeybd dotpup
A graphical virtual keyboard compiled from source. It pops up like a little piano keyboard and allows you to play music with input on your computer keyboard or mouse. You can adjust the number of octaves appearing on the piano and can even control effects if you have them available through other programs.

(4) Xsynth-DSSI dotpup
A graphical soft-synth which has a number of preset synth and instrument sounds and allows you to create your own. Compiled from source.

(5) VSTHost and DSSI-VST dotpup
Command-line Windows VST instrument plug-in players from the same DSSI-VST package compiled from source. While there are a limited number of Linux instrument plug-ins, there are a TON of them for Windows in "dll" extension format. The sole reason I picked Puppy Linux was a small distro on which to play Windows VST plug-ins, and this was my dream come true.

Some of these were a pain to compile because of missing libraries, missing or corrupted files, missing headers, incorrect text in make files, etc. I hope my pain will be somebody else's gain. I am also working on getting Bristol/Brighton, Ardour and Rosegarden-4 to work on Puppy but so far only Bristol/Brighton is making progress.
Nathan F

#8 Post by Nathan F »

I am also working on getting Bristol/Brighton, Ardour and Rosegarden-4 to work on Puppy but so far only Bristol/Brighton is making progress.
I have ardour working quite nicely already, if you're interested. It's in the usr_multimedia.sfs extension for Grafpup, but full binary compatibility with Puppy according to all my tests. Only drawback is it will not run without an i686 processor.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...
toddyjoe

#9 Post by toddyjoe »

I have ardour working quite nicely already, if you're interested. It's in the usr_multimedia.sfs extension for Grafpup, but full binary compatibility with Puppy according to all my tests. Only drawback is it will not run without an i686 processor.
You know what, I completely forgot about that. I already have your usr_multimedia.sfs which I initially used for JACK. I did not use Ardour or some of the other packages you included at the time so I stopped using the squashfile and compiled my own JACK. Now that my interest in Ardour has returned, I need to dig out that squashfile from my archives. Thanks for the reminder!
Dougal

#10 Post by Dougal »

I have a bunch of multimedia apps I can make dotpups of: JACK, JackRack, Jackmix, Fluidsynth, Polypaudio, ESD, Ardour (w/ the SWH ladspa plugins), Audacity, Ecasound, Swami, Gungirl Sequencer, Snd, flrec...
All compiled with Puppy2.

If anyone wants anything, let me know.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind
Nathan F

#11 Post by Nathan F »

Yes, Dougal. Swami in particular would be good. I have the project homepage bookmarked and was planning to try and compile it soon. If you've already done it I'd like to give it a try.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...
toddyjoe

#12 Post by toddyjoe »

Dougal, are you using one of the GUI front-ends for Ecasound or did you compile a command-line version? I was going to compile my own Ecasound but I have not yet decided between the handful of GUI front-ends that are available (TkEca, EMi, Ecmd, EcaEnveloptor, GAS, Visecas). I suppose Ecasound probably works better with less CPU usage in the command-line version but it would be nice to have both.

I have finished developmental Dotpups (with header files and document pages) for JACK-Qjackctl, Vkeybd Virtual Keyboard, DSSI-VST (and VSTHost), Fluidsynth-Qsynth, and Xsynth-DSSI. I am searching for a place to host them because a few of them are pretty big in developmental form. I will be making smaller, binary-only Dotpups of the same in the next couple of days. I want to make both binary and developmental versions available because I have found a lot of overlap with audio applications needing similar header files; it has been easier for me to compile new audio applications when I already have several of the prerequisite headers (like DSSI and JACK headers, ladspa.h, etc.) from Dotpups.
Dougal

#13 Post by Dougal »

Nathan F wrote:Yes, Dougal. Swami in particular would be good. I have the project homepage bookmarked and was planning to try and compile it soon. If you've already done it I'd like to give it a try.

Nathan
Ok, here's Swami, and a couple of dependencies I wasn't sure you have: Fluidsynth and LASH.

I wasn't sure if you needed the header files and all, so I just made tarballs out of them, each including all the files.

Note: I got a little error with Swami, in the /po directory (all others were done), so there's no additional localizations, but I think otherwise it's fine. (Haven't had time to try it out since I was busy trying to compile ReZound. Succeeded, too!).

Toddyjoe: I compiled ecasound on it's own, then compiled Ecawave (an old program Kai V. wrote for it). I need to look for some other Ecasound GUIs.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
HueyNym

Gun Girl

#14 Post by HueyNym »

I could never get GunGirl to compile, so I'd love a .pup, or even just a .zip

If anyone has been able to do something with Puppy that has made their own own life easier, or happier, or better - I think they should share what ever it is - knowledge, code, images - even just forum posts of the experiences... By sharing we can all grow :)

Thanks,
--Huey
Nathan F

#15 Post by Nathan F »

Thanks, Dougal :D
Bring on the locusts ...
Dougal

#16 Post by Dougal »

Huey: No problem, I'll make a dotpup. The reason I don't make dotpups out of everything is that I don't know if people are interested (and it takes me a while to upload them- I don't want to do it for nothing) and that I tend to compile with a lot of dependencies- which I'm not sure people are interested in...

Toddyjoe, something you might be interested in, regarding your post at the top:
You were talking VST, well, MusE uses libfst for loading VST plugins. I've given up on compiling MusE, since it requires WINE for libfst, but you might want to give it a try...

And a tip concerning problems with compilation, if you're using Puppy 2.0.0:
delete /usr/bin/perl and replace it with a link to /usr/bin/perl5.8.6.
The "perl" binary is 5.8.0 which is brutally cut down and is missing a lot of things that MU's 5.8.6 (from the devx addon) has got.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
toddyjoe

#17 Post by toddyjoe »

Dougal, I tried the libfst route before going with DSSI-VST. No matter how many ways I compiled them, I could not get either of the libfst programs -- FST and JACK-FST -- to work correctly. For starters, they did not work with a modern version of Wine. I had to track down some Wine version from 2003 to get them to compile and run. Then, I ran into memory errors, segmentation faults and the like when trying to get them to work correctly. After checking into the problems with on-line support communities, there appears to be problems with the libfst applications working with older pre-2.6 kernels and interacting with some specific Wine patches. Ultimately, I did not have the programming smarts to modify patches and files to get the libfst applications to work on my Puppy 1.0.8r1 (homebrew 2.4.29 low-latency kernel). I may revisit the libfst applications if I get around to making a realtime-patched 2.6 kernel for Puppy2.

I also tried a couple other VST plug-in programs, VSTServer and vsti, but those also required going back to older versions of Wine. I got both to work but they were a bit more clumsy to compile, install and use compared to DSSI-VST.
Dougal

#18 Post by Dougal »

Ok, Huey, here it is:
GunGirl Sequencer. (dotpup 209K ; uncompressed 516K)

It'll add a menu entry and there's also a 48x48 image in /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps, in case you want a desktop icon...

I've got the documentation as another dotpup, let me know if you want me to upload it (you should probably have it with the source).
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
Kenn

Ecasound for multi-track recording on old laptops

#19 Post by Kenn »

Hi foks,
I have several old laptops (Thinkpad 600s) that I'd like to use for simple multitrack recording. Just record 2-8 tracks with no effects.
The :idea: was to try puppy with compact flash, and a USB/firewire PCMCIA card.

The sound card would be on the USB/firewire as could be an external disk (assuming the flash card won't hold the recordings). My understanding is that only firewire works reliably for more than 4 simultanious audio channels.

Ecasound is the only sw I could imagine running on this "resource limited" HW.

Any one got any encouraging advice for such a venture :?:
toddyjoe

#20 Post by toddyjoe »

I made a dotpup for TkEca-Ecasound for Puppy some months back. Do a search and you will find the thread and the link to the download site. It works fine on my old Thinkpad 310ED (modded to 400 MHz and 128MB RAM).