How about a VideoLan DotPup?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
disciple

Puppy 2

#21 Post by disciple »

The same procedure works for Puppy 2, although the command to make the link didn't work - it said /opt/vlc did not exist - of course it did not exist, I was trying to create it!!?. Instead I made a new folder (Right click, new directory) in \ and named it opt, then opened up it and /vlc/opt/, and dragged a shortcut across into it by CTRL+SHIFT dragging the VLC folder in /vlc/opt/ across.

It seems that fullscreen mode in VLC is not happy - with JWM maybe. With at least some .mov files I have tried, they play for a little bit, then collapse down to the normal window, and then it seems to keep trying to go back to fullscreen, but be collapsed down again, and it is difficult to stop it or get it out of fullscreen mode, as it doesn't stay in one place. It also isn't full screen - it goes from a millimetre or two above the panel to about a panel height below the top of the screen, and to within about 3 or 4 millimetres of the sides of the screen - very strange. I am using XORG, and haven't tried in Puppy 1.08 yet.
disciple

#22 Post by disciple »

In my Puppy 1.09CE full hard drive install, the same procedure works. I figured out the link thing - if you have no /opt directory, you have to create it first, and then the command will work. Fullscreen works here, although again with a panel's width gap at the top of the screen, and small gaps at the sides - but not the bottom - my panel is on autohide.
In all three Puppy versions I have tested wav and wma and mov motion jpeg files, and all work great. Normal JPEGs didn't seem to work in Puppy 1.08. I have also tested mp3, audio CDs and DVDs in 1.09 - it seems to be working all right, which is great because VLC is the gruntiest media player around, and if you learn a bit of its command line stuff, most of which you can see by playing around in the gui - as it shows you what you are doing, it is great for ripping audio from DVDs, or video streams, and all sorts of stuff - recording any stream it can play while you're out as well - I'm not sure how good its video capture (from capture card) capabilities are though.
I haven't yet figured out what I need to do to get it so that I can type vlc into any command prompt and have it start - I'll come back to it after my last exam :)
willhunt

hd type 2 install + deb-installer=VLC

#23 Post by willhunt »

i used vlc-alsa_0.6.2-0woody.1_i386.deb or vlc-gtk_0.4.6-1_i386.deb And the
vlc-0.8.5-i686-3.tgz for the deb's I used MU's deb-installer and for the tgz I just
extract the tgz to / then mv /install/doinst.sh to / then just run the doinst.sh
this seems to work great most of the time in both 1.09CE or 2.01.

I have been trying deb-installer on everything since Mu made it available and
with my type 2 install and deb-installer life is goood!!

maybe this post belongs in the deb-installer thread :lol:

also I intergrated megapup003+usr_dev+usr_multimedia into my type 2 install
disciple

#24 Post by disciple »

I almost have it working in Grafpup (deluxe and 0.4 I think the version is - current at time of writing anyway)
I don't really get the link thing - like in Puppy 2 I had to go into my "opt" folder and go into my "vlc/opt" folder and drag a link to "vlc/opt/vlc" across.
It plays audio files fine, but with video files I just get a funny green pattern and the sound. Anybody got any clues?
disciple

#25 Post by disciple »

It works, although I think it won't play some files that it will play in Windows - they may just be bizarre combinations of codecs.
I just had to change (in the preferences) the video output module to "X11 video output" :D