Puppy Arcade says HD with 35 GB free space is full

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rfxcasey

Puppy Arcade says HD with 35 GB free space is full

#1 Post by rfxcasey »

My puppy arcade has not swap partition, is that normal? Also when I try to copy from my USB thumbdrive to my hard drive it moves most of the files but then says 'no space left on device' even though I have 35Gigs of free space.

Is this forum just one big thread cause if so it this needs it's own dedicated forum with different categories and the whole 9 yards.
Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

What kind of filesystem(s) are you using?
I once tried transferring several files to a FAT-formatted 2G flash drive, and got a similar warning.
(The files weren't anywhere near 2G total.)
Reformatting in NTFS solved the problem.
NTFS seems to store files more efficiently than other filesystems.
Just be aware that some Puppies (like 2.14x) might not work well with NTFS.

Also, this is a dedicated forum with different categories.
It would help to look around and familiarize yourself with it.
technosaurus

#3 Post by technosaurus »

please give specific location of the destination
you may have multiple partitions and are trying to put 4gb in the smallest partition

perhaps you have a frugal install and are moving it there - that would be most likely

what does typing df in a terminal say?
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].
rfxcasey

#4 Post by rfxcasey »

Well, as it stands right now there is only one big partition and no others. When I first installed I was trying to create 3, one for root, one for user files and one for swap but gpart wasn't able to create the swap for some reason so I just went with one big partition figuring that the Puppy install would take care of itself.

What I am trying to do is copy some 3000 files from a Flash drive to a directory in my Puppy install. Every time I try to copy the files the about 2/3 of the files get copied then the file manager complains that there is 'no space left on device'. If I look at the partition with gpart or partition magic it shows 35Gigs of free space.
Dewbie wrote:Also, this is a dedicated forum with different categories. It would help to look around and familiarize yourself with it.
Seems like it's dedicated to Puppy Linux but not Puppy Arcade.
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#5 Post by Béèm »

rfxcasey
Technosuarus has asked some questions and asked to show the output of a command.
This is to help you.
So be polite and reply.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
rfxcasey

#6 Post by rfxcasey »

Béèm wrote:rfxcasey
Technosuarus has asked some questions and asked to show the output of a command.
This is to help you.
So be polite and reply.
Understood, however I don't think this is going to particularly help now that I have done a complete repartitioning with a primary, secondary and swap. Before this as I think I mentioned I was using only one giant partition which I normally don't do but this Puppy Arcade install seems a bit weird and using gpart from within the OS was showing the partition locked even when booting from a disk for some reason. Puppy seems to actually be using the swap now that I was able to partition one with Partition Magic. I'm pretty sure the original issue has something to do with the system being limited to a size of about 4 or 5 Gigs for some reason even though the partition was 36Gigs.

The system is on sda1 and I am now transferring the files (about 3000 of them) to the secondary partition sda5. The only foreseeable problem I have now if the files finish transferring successfully will be getting the sda5 partition to automount. As it stands now I have to use pmount to have access to the space and don't see anywhere in the properties of the partition to set it to automout.

I have a few years experience with Ubuntu and Debian which have fairly nice GUIs though you still have to know a little about using the terminal. With this version of Puppy it seems I have much to learn about the terminal or I just don't understand the GUI enough to get what I need done, well, done.

Bye the way, the file transfer just finished successfully for all file on the sda5 partition so something to do with the system partition is limiting the size or max amount of files per directory even though the actual partition size was 36Gigs. Given this info if you can come up with an explanation that would be lovely.
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#7 Post by Béèm »

It is very difficult to try to help someone, who is doing things on his own and not telling. That is not a nice attitude and only waste people's time.

So I back-out of this issue.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
Dewbie

#8 Post by Dewbie »

rfxcasey wrote:
Seems like it's dedicated to Puppy Linux but not Puppy Arcade.
Forum index has a Puppy Derivatives section.
(Puppy Arcade is a derivative.)