my pup don't hunt...no "whereis", no "xxd"

Booting, installing, newbie
rockets

my pup don't hunt...no "whereis", no "xxd"

#1 Post by rockets »

I was using 5.1 trying to get an old wacom based tablet pc to live again. (st5032). The linux wacom project is impossible to use because of puppy's lack of basic linux commands OR it could be ME. Please tell me I am wrong and that puppy has basic command capability.

ps: I quickly burned the latest puppy (5.2.5) and had the same results...

ps2: I got the tablet working by blindly copying random xorg.conf stanzas....

wuwei

#2 Post by wuwei »

Hi

You have probably figured out by now, that Puppy is different.

For commands you might find answers here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46435

rockets

#3 Post by rockets »

@wuwei>> Thats a great source for simple, usable, everyday commands, but does not address the basic question>>>is puppy crippled to the point of unusable for recovery of broken systems??? I have used puppy for recovery several times but never dove down into the basic linux capability before.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#4 Post by Béèm »

wuwei showed you that bash as implemented is a sub-set, if that is what you mean.

In fact I don't understand what you mean by basic linux capabilities.
Please explain.

I run puppy for years now and have no problems to exploit 'basic linux capabilities'
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

rockets

#5 Post by rockets »

will puppy run xxd? If so, how?

rhadon

#6 Post by rhadon »

You need to install vim. You can download it from here or here.

After download maybe you must rename the ending from .gz to .pet.
You know how to install a pet?

Like whereis, it doesn't seem to be a 'basic linux command' :wink: .

~Rolf
Last edited by rhadon on Wed 17 Aug 2011, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

rockets wrote:will puppy run xxd? If so, how?
There is a Debian package called "vim-common" that contains xxd.

Oops. Didn't see rhadon's post.

alienjeff

#8 Post by alienjeff »

Puppy Linux relies heavily on the BusyBox command set. Your search engine of choice is (generally) your friend and will reveal more about BusyBox.

Snoop around for a core utilities PET if you are looking for a fuller Linux experience. MU hosted one years ago, but don't know if it's still available.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

rockets

#9 Post by rockets »

Thanks alienjeff:: You have confirmed what I was slowly beginning to realize. But, the reading I have done (BK blog, etc.) implies the busybox skinny bash is only used during the boot phase(s). It is not important enough to add a "core" utility. I only use terminal when there is no other way, and those mundane (whereis, xxd, etc) are so easily accessed in suse, knoppix, mepis, debian on and on......

alienjeff

#10 Post by alienjeff »

You're welcome. And tell me about it ...

I got sick of being crippled and in the summer of 2008 moved to Arch Linux. It's geek nirvana. Since then, I have booted Puppy on perhaps four occasions and each time, without fail, have been hoodwinked by BusyBox with some of the most pedestrian of commands. Aggravating would be an understatement. The other thing that really sticks in my craw is the lack of man pages.
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Shep

#11 Post by Shep »

'which' or 'find' might substitute for 'whereis'

You can see a list of commands in a console by hitting TAB twice. Many lack some of the options available on the big systems. That is part of the compromise that allows puppy to run on older, smaller resourced hardware.

alienjeff

#12 Post by alienjeff »

Shep wrote:... Many lack some of the options available on the big systems. That is part of the compromise that allows puppy to run on older, smaller resourced hardware.
Arch runs fine on my 233-MHz P-II lappy w/288M of RAM. Is that the older, smaller resourced hardware you're referring to? :wink:

pemasu

#13 Post by pemasu »

Code: Select all

cd /bin
for x in `./busybox |grep ,|grep -v Â` ;do echo ${x%,}; done
You get the list of busybox included binaries. In /bin most of them are symlinked to busybox binary.

Shep

#14 Post by Shep »

alienjeff wrote:
Shep wrote:... Many lack some of the options available on the big systems. That is part of the compromise that allows puppy to run on older, smaller resourced hardware.
Arch runs fine on my 233-MHz P-II lappy w/288M of RAM. Is that the older, smaller resourced hardware you're referring to? :wink:
Well, apart from the generous amount of RAM, that's close to it. :) Is there an Arch linux live CD?

How does Firefox perform on youtube with that combo?

alienjeff

#15 Post by alienjeff »

Shep wrote:Well, apart from the generous amount of RAM, that's close to it. :) Is there an Arch linux live CD?

How does Firefox perform on youtube with that combo?
I believe that's the first time in years that I've heard 288M of RAM being "a generous amount" thereof ... I know what you mean, though. I'm a firm believer in maxing out the RAM in older boxen. It simply makes good computing sense.

The lappy is my utility "writing" box, so I have little need to watch YouTube idiocy on it. Firefox is expectly slow, however Seamonkey is more than responsive enough for my needs - that is until the Bloatmeisters @ Mozilla decide to marry Seamonkey with xulrunner. Then all bets are off.

I've heard there is an Arch Live out there somewhere, but quite honestly I couldn't be bothered. I'll stick with the real deal, tyvm.

8-bit

#16 Post by 8-bit »

Beside Pemasu's little script, there is an easier way.
Just open a terminal , type "busybox", press the TAB key and then the Enter key.

As a for instance, did you know that a command called "unzip" is part of busybox and will unzip a zipped file from the command line?

There is also one called bunzip2 and bzip2 that evidently are for a different form of a zipped file.