Can Firefox use bookmarks saved in folder? (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
yr1945

Can Firefox use bookmarks saved in folder? (Solved)

#1 Post by yr1945 »

When i back up my files I maintain 1 primary folder/directory with 5 or 6 sub-folders.

I would like to add another sub-folder and copy my Firefox bookmarks to it.

Instead of accessing the bookmarks from the Firefox browser itself, I would just like to be able to open my folder/directory and click on my "saved" bookmarks.

Is this possible to do with Puppy Linux? Thanks.
Last edited by yr1945 on Sun 28 Aug 2011, 02:36, edited 2 times in total.

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

Depends on what you mean. I do something similar.

I have Firefox 4 or 5 or 6 or seven and all of them allow me to export bookmarks as a html file. That one I can place in any place that can be reached by puppy. I have it on home. or /mnt/home/

but then I don't know if one import it how it behaves. So I instead makes a link to it on the ordinary book marks tool bar.

so when I click these then I can access them in any puppy by just making bookmarks to their places on the hdd. is that useful enough for you?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

dze

#3 Post by dze »

I think
it is very simple when you export bookmarks as a html file as nooby write,
then you can import that html file from saved place even on USB

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I don't know how it works in Firefox. When I import bookmarks in SeaMonkey the imported bookmarks are added to whatever bookmarks are already there. This leads to a lot of duplicate bookmarks.

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

Yes that is my experience too. And the toolbar ones don't end up in tool bar so no good reason to do it?

I just have a ling to the html and then search in it with ctrl+f and that works rather okay for to find puppy links
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

DaveS

#6 Post by DaveS »

Ages ago I built an HTML page using Seamonkey of all my most used bookmarks. I then have this saved in Dropbox and use it as my home page in any browser I install on any computer I have. It took a lot of work but has paid back in Spades over time.

Each image is a link. It is fast too as it is stored locally. I then use the browsers built in bookmark menu for short life links.

The beauty of this is that it is browser independant, so I can use it in Seamonkey, Firefox, Opera etc., though of course, bl*dy Chrome cant display it!
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

yr1945

#7 Post by yr1945 »

Thank you all for responding to my question. I'm still a bit confused about being able to create a folder/directory and filling it with Firefox browser bookmarks... where I can just click on a bookmark (link) in the folder and have Firefox open my bookmark/link.

I am in the process of migrating 100% to Puppy Linux. In the near future I plan to remove Windows from my computer as I seldom use it anymore. This topic is one of the last issues I would like to resolve before removing Windows.

Basically, I use Firefox bookmarks for all my usual activities. However, I have many, many You Tube music videos I like to watch. With Windows I just bookmark the video... then drag it to a folder. I can open the folder and click the link to play the video. Since the folder is in my "Primary" folder... it gets backed up whenever I backup my files.

I have learned how to open my Windows folder with Puppy Linux, but I cannot add more bookmarks by dragging or copying them to the folder.

Anyway, I will keep researching the issue... and, hopefully figure it out.

yr1945

RESOLVED

#8 Post by yr1945 »

Nooby..... THANK YOU !! I followed your process of exporting the Firefox page with one of my music videos... to a HTML file to a folder that I titled "music" on mnt/home... and, the bookmarks work just fine. Case closed... and, again, thanks for responding to my plea for help. yr1945

ps: I would like to thank everyone who responded to my question.

Bligh

#9 Post by Bligh »

If the bookmark file is a html file, I usually just open it in the first tab,then open links in another tab.
Cheers