How to put "Show Desktop" button in puppy4 taskbar (solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
johnywhy

How to put "Show Desktop" button in puppy4 taskbar (solved)

#1 Post by johnywhy »

Is there a keystroke or button I can put in the taskbar to "Show Desktop" , Ie minimize all windows?

That's a nice convenience.

Thanks
Last edited by johnywhy on Sun 04 Sep 2011, 02:52, edited 1 time in total.

sfeeley

#2 Post by sfeeley »

which puppy are you using?

In puppy 5.2 there's already a little desk symbol on the bottom left (to the right of the menu button and globe (web) button). It does what you ask.

johnywhy

#3 Post by johnywhy »

I'm using Puppeee, which is based on Puppy 4.x.

:(

I've read there's a Puppeee 5.x available, but I cannot find it anyplace

alienjeff

#4 Post by alienjeff »

The "Show Desktop" button isn't really necessary. Simply wait until your parents are out of the house before you watch teh pron.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

johnywhy

#5 Post by johnywhy »

Hilarious! :lol:

Shep

#6 Post by Shep »

To minimize all windows, click on that tiny icon on the bottom of your screen just to the right of "Menu" -- as sfeeley indicated.

I think it's available in all puppies.

If it's not there, post back.

johnywhy

#7 Post by johnywhy »

Not there. Using Puppeee, which is based on puppy 4.x

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

Assuming JWM, post the contents of your .jwmrc_tray file.. it's in your home directory.

Shep

#9 Post by Shep »

I used this thread as reference for adding things to the tray: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70542

johnywhy

#10 Post by johnywhy »

thanks everyone, i found Puppy 5.2.8, so this is not an issue anymore.

alienjeff

#11 Post by alienjeff »

johnywhy wrote:thanks everyone, i found Puppy 5.2.8, so this is not an issue anymore.
An observation: by taking the easy way out, you've innocently (or not so innocently) cheated yourself from learning something about Linux, Puppy, and WM/tray configuration. Gates and Jobs have made fortunes providing similar "easy ways out".
Last edited by alienjeff on Sat 03 Sep 2011, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

johnywhy

#12 Post by johnywhy »

yes, thank goodness! :D

i'm not a linux hobbyist, i'm just looking for a practical alternative to windows. i hope the puppy community won't spurn me for that!

i'm not outta the woods yet tho', i want to edit the 5.2.8 bar, but hopefully there's a gui for that!

i did try the jwm configurator on the desktop menu, and it seems to be malfunctioning. For one thing, the "restart jwm" button did not work. So i restarted X server, and button i removed is still there (the 'choose default browser' button).

[Edit]: Oooh, i see why now. I'm running the OpenBox system, not jwm. Duh! For the benefit of others, that's set in menu/desktop/desktop settings/wm switcher.

Then i tried the fbpanel Configuration in Desktop menu. That did the trick, but only after i discovered that you have to switch back to the 1st tab and click "ok", otherwise your changes don't get applied.

It would not be fair for me to mark this thread as solved, since as alienjeff pointed out, i got around the problem by upgrading to a newer puppy.

alienjeff: i love building stuff and figuring stuff out. At the moment, i'm developing a project to teach at-risk kids in a ghetto how to build electronic circuits. My work on that project has been delayed because i've been spending so much time getting my OS solid. So, just because a person is not interested in mastering the ways of the kernel, does not necessarily mean they are an unthinking consumer who's life is defined by corporate-enforced detachment.

Thanks all!

patelbhavesh

#13 Post by patelbhavesh »

you can also use a hotkey which works on most linux desktop env.the hotkey is the windows key+d.

johnywhy

#14 Post by johnywhy »

GREAT! thank you patelbhavesh.

technosaurus

#15 Post by technosaurus »

Open up rox
It should be in /root
Click on the "eye" to show hidden files
Right click on .jwmrc-tray
Select open as text
Uncomment the line(s) that have "show desktop" or some such
(comments have ! And --)
Save
Restart jwm
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

johnywhy

#16 Post by johnywhy »

Thanks, technosaurus, that rox!

johnywhy

#17 Post by johnywhy »

technosaurus wrote:in file /root/.jwmrc-tray: Uncomment the line(s) that have "show desktop"
did i summarize that correctly?, and can i mark this thread solved?

thanks!
Last edited by johnywhy on Wed 07 Sep 2011, 03:02, edited 1 time in total.

technosaurus

#18 Post by technosaurus »

Sure. You can remove the "or some such" part... I was going from memory on my Droid.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].