Suggestions for Puppy digital picture frame

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
robin850

Suggestions for Puppy digital picture frame

#1 Post by robin850 »

i'm building a digital picture frame from an old laptop. i am open to suggestions as to which image tool to use to display the photos.

if someone has already done this with Puppy, please speak up.

Cheers,

robin850

Rich

#2 Post by Rich »

I'm sure I remember someone talking about this on the old forum.

Don't know if it ever got past the 'back of a beermat' stage though.

robin850

#3 Post by robin850 »

thanks. i will do a search to see what comes up from the old forum.

most people i have talked to have used other distros and used "feh" for the image app. i think Puppy is perfectly suited for this project; small, fast, easy.

i'm wondering if "gimp" is overkill or if another readily available package in Puppy would be more appropriate for playing a looping slideshow of images.

basically i would like it to boot up,read a directory of images and begin displaying them as a fullscreen slideshow. i plan to either have a samba share and/or ftp as the mechanism for maintaining the directory of images.

I could get fancy and allow using wget to display remotely stored images, but it is not necessary for the first go-round.

I should probably do something about letting the unit go into power-save mode at night so it can save energy and wear/tear on the hardware. an alternative is to simply let cron turn the unit off at a predetermined time and use the BIOS to turn the unit back on in the morning.

rarsa

#4 Post by rarsa »

I think that you can present a slide show with GTKSee, isn't it?

It's under "File Managers".

I'm not in puppy right now, so I cannot confirm, but I'm sure I've used it.

Rich

#5 Post by Rich »

http://www.photovu.com/

Basically it's a TFT screen with a wooden border :P
Pictures can be uploaded and displayed on it, just like a full blown PC. But it has little or no computer functionality, other than the ability to show pictures ( and some I/O capabilities. )

<< EDIT. . . GTKsee does have a slideshow facility ( with fullscreen ) so this application would certainly do the job. >>

robin850

#6 Post by robin850 »

thanks for the info. I will try GTKsee.

the PhotoVu product looks well-designed and quite perfect. However, i am not willing to part with that much money.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Ian »

Ha Ha,
I just tried the Slideshow in GTKsee and it works ok.
I opened the two trash icons, big & little, clicked on the Slideshow menu and it proceeded to switch between them.

It needs a little more experimenting with but it looks like it could do the job.

I was talking to the person who first came up with the info on these pictureframes in the old forum but as I haven't yet got my hands on an old laptop I have not done any follow-up on this idea.

There were some pics that he did show me of a friend of his who had made one of the things but I can't remember where I put the addresses.

If you could find the original thread you would be able to find out more.

I was very interested in the concept as I thought they would make a unique gift if you could build it cheap enough and I think Puppy would handle the Slideshow with little or no problems.

This is a definite idea for Christmas.

Rich

#8 Post by Rich »

BarryK
Puppy Master

#9 Post by BarryK »

I think GTKSee has one major limitation, it can't resize the images, like if you want them all to fill the window or screen -- someone should go to the author and tell him what a good improvement that would be -- the author did communicate with me awhile ago, so it's not a dead project, and sometimes it's amazing what result you can get after making a little suggestion to a project author, like Lobster and I experience with mtPaint.

Rich

#10 Post by Rich »

Good Point Barry, although it does frame the pictures nicely in full screen mode with a black border.
GTKsee would certainly do the job while ironing out the construction and operational needs of the frame. Once the hardware is sorted out and working then software can be tweaked for enhancement.

#11 Post by Guest »

Try it with the pics in /usr/share/images.

As a fill-in you could always set the pics to the one size when you determine what size you require.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#12 Post by BarryK »

Yes, mtPaint resizes images very nicely, with a auto-smoothing feature.
There's also a little image resizer for png images that can scale up by integer amounts with very nice smoothing -- it's mentioned in the Multimedia how to help page in Puppy.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#13 Post by GuestToo »

gqView works very well for slideshows
Bruce B made a gqView dotpup

robin850

#14 Post by robin850 »

cool. i appreciate the feedback and info.

time to go play around with GTKsee, mtPaint, and install gqView.

#15 Post by Guest »

How has this project performed?

Im doing just the same and would like some help. I have Puppy running from an IDE compact flash drive with access to a USB stick containing my pics.

Problem 1. gtksee slideshow doesn't loop - am I missing a command line switch? I started with full screen, fill screen and slideshow options but it stops at the last picture.

Problem 2. Can't get my USB stick to auto mount on bootup. What's the best way?

Any help appreciated

Lobster
Official Crustacean

on-line slideshow

#16 Post by Lobster »

how about using this off-line (or even on-line)
http://www.fotoflix.com/swf/tutorial/tu ... ?key=vid00

. . . with an f11 to get fullscreen . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#17 Post by Guest »

the laptop i planned for conversion had to be used for another project so i am scrounging around for another one. i hope to find one in the next month or so.