$75 linux box!

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
saintlangton

$75 linux box!

#1 Post by saintlangton »

http://ztechshop.net/computers/sub-100/

500Mhz, 128Mb RAM (Upgradeable) Should run puppy nicely!

You can even get puppy pre-installed! (They seem to be stuck on ver 1.0.4 tho...)

The $75 even includes shipping (US only - can ship elsewhere for more $)

Note the you'll need keyboard/mouse/Monitor as well (Although you could have it as a server and control via VNC)

Chris

P.S I'm in no way involved with them, just saw it on Digg and thought some puppies may be interested.
jason.b.c

#2 Post by jason.b.c »

iPAQ Sub-100 Desktop
Sounds like it's by ( or for ) Hewlet Packard... :D

Preaty cool though.. :D
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com/][img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img][/url]
Sage

#3 Post by Sage »

Note: they don't actually have any, so obviously hoping to pick up units after orders are placed. Caveat emptor.
Worthless for Linux - no serial port?
Anyone loading Ubuntu by default on such a basic chassis doesn't seem too bright.
jason.b.c

#4 Post by jason.b.c »

Sage wrote:Note: they don't actually have any, so obviously hoping to pick up units after orders are placed. Caveat emptor.
Anyone loading Ubuntu by default on such a basic chassis doesn't seem too bright.
Why do you consider it to be worthless.??? You can still use an ethernet port for internet duties..

And what would be wrong with having ubuntu on it..?? I'll admit, It would be a bit slow.. But you could just install the XFCE "X" environment.. :D
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com/][img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img][/url]
marksouth2000

#5 Post by marksouth2000 »

jason.b.c wrote:
Sage wrote:Note: they don't actually have any, so obviously hoping to pick up units after orders are placed. Caveat emptor.
Why do you consider it to be worthless.??? You can still use an ethernet port for internet duties..

And what would be wrong with having ubuntu on it..?? I'll admit, It would be a bit slow.. But you could just install the XFCE "X" environment.. :D
Sage, like others, believes in the foolproof nature of external serial modems.

If you have reliable and cheap ADSL/cable, you can live without a serial port, if you dial up it's an essential for a simple and happy life.

Ubuntu and Kubuntu SUCK on modest hardware because Gnome and KDE, wonderful though they are, take a huge amount of resources to run. Ubuntu runs quite well on my 1.6 GHz Athlon XP based portable with nVidia graphics and 1/2 Gb of RAM, but it uses most of those resources all the time.

However, I have Xubuntu running quite smoothly on a 650MHz Celeron with 128 Mb of RAM, integrated graphics, and a 10Gb disk. There's still about 7 Gb free, and it's a pleasant experience. Not really fast, but smooth and usable.

By comparison, though, Puppy absolutely flies on the same machine. I find I boot the other machines less and less often....

So, if you put down your $75 US for one of those iPAQ desktops, and if you already have broadband, it might make quite a nice little Puppy machine. Let us know 8)
Sage

#6 Post by Sage »

The problem is, Mark, that although the blurb makes extensive mention of networks, I could not see any reference to provision of an RJ port on the board, just six USBs. Maybe I need a new pair of spectacles, though? There is, presently, a thread in these fora indicating difficulty in getting an USB-serial adapter working under Puppy and I was surmising that similar issues might exist with other adapters and other distros through the USB ports, simply because drivers could be necessary for each device (they tend to be built-in to XP!!). I don't know whether this will be a problem or not, hence the question mark. We won't know for certain until their equipment changes from vapourware into hardware - hence my warning.
My experiences with Ubuntu mirror yours. For the record, the new SuSE 10.1 won't install in less than 512, but it does seem to run in less. In my view, in trying to be all things to all men, these distros are becoming excessively bloated and are following a well trod path, possibly risking being no thing to no-one?!
Q

#7 Post by Q »

Purchase
......... Please note from the about section that these are used, yet guaranteed under warranty computers.
hope you guys noticed that.
Last edited by Q on Mon 10 Jul 2006, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
marksouth2000

#8 Post by marksouth2000 »

Sage wrote:I could not see any reference to provision of an RJ port on the board, just six USBs. Maybe I need a new pair of spectacles, though?
On the right of the page, under Detailed Hardware Specs, I find:
Network: 10/100 Fast Ethernet w/Optional external 56k modem
...which may even imply that they have an RS232 port. Most budget end motherboards still do.
[qote]My experiences with Ubuntu mirror yours. For the record, the new SuSE 10.1 won't install in less than 512, but it does seem to run in less. In my view, in trying to be all things to all men, these distros are becoming excessively bloated and are following a well trod path, possibly risking being no thing to no-one?![/quote]
I had my portable multibooting Suse 10.1, Fedora 5, and Ubuntu 6.06. For about a week, that is. I was amazed at how well they all worked and ran, but Ubuntu was the least hassle, and it ran my RTL8185 wireless card out of the box, so now it's all alone on the disk. But that's the machine I keep aside for serious work, important documents, etc, and I don't monkey with it.

I have much more fun with the machines I run Puppy on, because those are the ones I do monkey with and the results are sometimes, er, ...interesting. 8)
sunburnt

#9 Post by sunburnt »

In fact most ALL newer PC mother boards are trash canning the legacy interfaces.
By by: serial, parallel, floppy, joystick, etc., & hello: USB, firewire, side, etc.
I think that the ps2 keyboard & mouse connectors will be going the way of rest of them too.

The unit's more or less what I've been talking about, a bit larger than one would hope though.
But it's a std. MB so it has all the std. capabilities... & drawbacks; pwr. consumption & noise.
Also, what about the video adapter? It doesn't say anything about onboard video, so add a PCI?
Fossil

#10 Post by Fossil »

I discovered an outlet for secondhand Ipaq base units here in the UK. The cost for a 500 MHz is just
raffy

Tell HP

#11 Post by raffy »

Anyone wants to call HP to keep producing these machines? Since a year ago, these items have regularly appeared here as cheap machines suitable for Puppy.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].
Sage

#12 Post by Sage »

Spectacles ordered! There's a company in Wantage that recycles boxes and parts - forget the name, but they trade extensively on eBay and ship internationally. However, it's even cheaper to collect a trailer-load of old kit from roadside skips/dumpsters and the local amenity waste site (but you may need a piece of paper from the council to act as disclaimer for anything electrical). About 80% of discarded junk seems to be functional, most of that will run Puppy.
n8siv

#13 Post by n8siv »

I have setup around 20 of thease with puppy they work great.
You can get thease on ebay cheaper the most i hve paid including shiping is $60.00.
There are ones with comports out there most of the ones i have set up had them.
You can get the cd rom drive floppy and cdrw,s for them they use the same ones that the M700 compaq laptop.
the fix is out thier :lol: