Would the moderator care to explain the censorship?

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
8-bit

#41 Post by 8-bit »

Ok, so some subjects are not liked as they may grow from embers to a flame type of thread.
But is it any worse for some to jump on and flame at a member that is having hardware or software problems that after a few posts and replies trying to help that member, another jumps in like he is tired of reading the original poster's problems and flames at him?

Before any of us jump on another member that has problems that are not easy to solve, we should remember that we once knew very little about linux and Puppy and there were members here with the patience to guide us and help out.

We are all from different countries with different beliefs and for us to have a conversation in the Off Topic area that does not lead to a verbal fist fight says a lot.

There are a few that may have had a bad day, or some comment was taken the wrong way that reply with flame on.
But that is all part of life and if it is not taken to extremes, I can see no problem with it.
jpeps

#42 Post by jpeps »

8-bit wrote:
There are a few that may have had a bad day
I know Sit Heel Speak had a disappointing day in the stock market :)
nooby

#43 Post by nooby »

8-bit wrote:Ok, so some subjects are not liked as they may grow from embers to a flame type of thread.
But is it any worse for some to jump on and flame at a member that is having hardware or software problems that after a few posts and replies trying to help that member, another jumps in like he is tired of reading the original poster's problems and flames at him?

Before any of us jump on another member that has problems that are not easy to solve, we should remember that we once knew very little about linux and Puppy and there were members here with the patience to guide us and help out.

We are all from different countries with different beliefs and for us to have a conversation in the Off Topic area that does not lead to a verbal fist fight says a lot.

There are a few that may have had a bad day, or some comment was taken the wrong way that reply with flame on.
But that is all part of life and if it is not taken to extremes, I can see no problem with it.
8-bit if I behaved that bad then I do apology. I am hot tempered at times.

Give me link and I give a heartfelt apology there.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
8-bit

#44 Post by 8-bit »

nooby,
If you thought I was specifying you, you were dead wrong.
I was trying to generalize all members, both mild and hot tempered.
I am old enough that I have mostly got over letting comments get to me.
But some I have to reply to.
I try to keep my replies civilized so as not to be read as insults or downgrading of another member.

So remember that when you read nobody in a comment, it does not necessarily mean it is specifically about you.
nooby

#45 Post by nooby »

Thanks but sometimes it actually is me getting very angry on some newbies.

And I am a nobody so maybe I think it is about me next time too.

What was it about then? I am nosy too :)
8-bit

#46 Post by 8-bit »

What was it about then?
Ok, after a discussion with a new member, possibly alias Puppyite, and coming to the defense of this forum on his site, I requested I be removed as a member there since nothing I tried to post in defense of this forum ever saw the light of day since all posts were examined for content and only those that were approved got posted.

The comment I had made just in case you are still curious, was that if he removed the posts that represented his personal vendetta against this forum and concentrated on Puppy he just might get more members.

I think he goes by two rules.
Rule one: I am always right.

Rule two: If I am wrong, see rule number one.
nooby

#47 Post by nooby »

Thanks for telling me. I had hoped your diplomatic skills
would reason with Puppyite. But it seems not easy to get
on agreement with him. Thanks for your efforts.
Much appreciated. I thought of it too but realized me
have no such talents so I never joined.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68464
and other places I tried to ask if I should join or not. Too few cared
to give me advice and seeing what did happen to Bruce B made me
decide I would be better to stay out of the drama with Wolf et all.
tlchost

#48 Post by tlchost »

nooby wrote: I would not want the style
of Tea Party and Fox Channel hatred on Puppy forum.
Oh...then I suppose you would agree with Murga hiring union goons to break up the forum...or maybe some other anti-tea party activities.

Really Nooby....you are letting your personal issues, agenda and dislikes color your thinking.

Thom
Dewbie

#49 Post by Dewbie »

Why pay union wages?
He could probably hire (Tea Party darling) Rand Paul's goonsfor less. :wink:
tlchost

#50 Post by tlchost »

8-bit wrote: I do not like silence from the moderators in relation to this problem.
It would appear that the only way the moderators address the issue in public is when there are rumblings from the members. Its almost as is they have to be told they were caught in the act.

We simply need to conjur the list of offensive words, thoughts and sentiments that will trigger moderation.

It might also help to have a list of permitted targets such as MicroSoft, Windows, Google, Fox News and the Tea Party. In that way we would know we will not incur the wrath of the moderators when we post about these proven evils of civilization.

Thom
tlchost

#51 Post by tlchost »

Dewbie wrote:Why pay union wages?
He could probably hire (Tea Party darling) Rand Paul's goonsfor less. :wink:
Gee....Maybe John Murga can tell us which goons he would prefer....after all, it is his forum and he has every right to pick his moderators and goon squad. Wonder if they will be issued brown shirts?
Dewbie

#52 Post by Dewbie »

Wonder if they will be issued brown shirts?
And maybe a back brace or two. :lol:
tlchost

#53 Post by tlchost »

Dewbie wrote: And maybe a back brace or two. :lol:
Your zeal to cite that kind of stuff misses the point that the moderation in this forum is dictatorial and does not become a matter of discussion until a moderator is caught in the act.

I'll leave it to you to continue throwing stones...as it seems tou would prefer to do that rather than discuss the issue of moderation.
shariebeth

#54 Post by shariebeth »

Supposedly the forum is to be run on the basis of free speech and common sense.

"Stuff" is out there. Good and bad. One needs to see all sides and pieces of information to use their common sense in formulating an opinion.
One cannot employ said common sense when at least one side of any issue up for discussion is entirely deleted and/or obfuscated.

Next point: If "hate speech" or "vague off topic"(irony anyone?) were grounds (Per Mr. Flash's weak excuse for justification of deletion in this case) censorship (in this case deletion), I suggest we all get busy and start messaging him with the list of all of the other fine examples elsewhere in this forum. We have some major cleaning up to do, and not just in the off topic section. Vague, off topic, and hate run rampant here.
I can only believe, given Mr. Flash's lack of action elsewhere, that a special someone has asked him to delete this specifically. (I say special because I know when I've objected to "hate" speech elsewhere, I was either ignored or brushed off with some vague platitudes).

Next point: Again, given the basis for this forum per it's owner and founder, I find this non-transparent censorship a bit curious. A forum is only as good as it is allowed to be and when multiple moderator/administrator actions directly and selectively contradict the forum creedo, multiple times no less, it can only reflect badly on both the forum and the chosen goons and leave an unpleasant aftertaste in everyone else's mouth.

I would appreciate it if people would actually read my post before commenting on it.
nooby

#55 Post by nooby »

shariebeth wrote:...
Next point: If "hate speech" or "vague off topic"(irony anyone?) were grounds (Per Mr. Flash's weak excuse for justification of deletion in this case) censorship (in this case deletion),...
The fact is that he does not have to explain or excuse what him do to
anybody else than John.

It sure is the owners right to set the policy. You and I can disagree on how it is run but it none of our biz strictly formally.

Sure we could negotiate some other way to run it but as long he is the owner
he decide on things.

Now if I was the owner we would not talk neither religion nor politics nor
that some people eat puppies for food.

I think such should be talked about on forums set up for that purpose.

But John don't agree with my very strict policy at all.

And I love to talk religion and have done that since 1995 or so online
but this is Puppy Forum and I don't want to drag in neither God nor Buddha into here. This is Puppy land to me and that is almost holy. No Tea Party no GMO bashing no Bashing of Obama or PC talk not nothing we should talk
computers and Microsoft beign bad behavior and Apple trying to kill Android and Google spying on us and such but not religion and not politics and especially not Truthers New World Order kind of Conspiracy stuff.

But that is only my naive point of view. If you guys love politics then join the Tea Party that seems to be fun. Irony I am not good at it :)
shariebeth

#56 Post by shariebeth »

Then nooby, I suggest you petition John to remove the "Truly off-topic conversations
For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy" section.

Meanwhile, the issue of the original poster in THIS topic which is STILL allowed per forum section designation, still stands and as I have said, in areas elsewhere in these forums too, not just in Off Topic.

We now bring you back to your regularly scheduled free speech, common sense, transparency, and censorship discussion.
MonteTwoShots

#57 Post by MonteTwoShots »

Censorship on boards typically involves egos that are fragile. No egos should be involved in the development and use of an operating system or any discussion by it's users.
pacer106

#58 Post by pacer106 »

Seriously?

Do all those who side against the moderators on this forum really believe they (the moderators) should allow postings of hate & bigotry toward a race & or religion is proper?

Grow up. We live in a day & age where hatred should not exist yet it does. Most hatred is due to lack of education & not caring about the truth. So those who post or repost garbage about hatred & bigotry either are trying to start something or are in dire need of some educational influences.

Now please get back to what is really important. Spreading love & educating others on how puppy linux works :)
MonteTwoShots

#59 Post by MonteTwoShots »

Do all those who side against the moderators on this forum really believe they (the moderators) should allow postings of hate & bigotry toward a race & or religion is proper?
It is never "Proper". It is however the opinion of some. As a member of one of the groups involved I can say that Hate speech laws will never end racism or bigotry. Neither will censorship on a board. What is Hate to you might be passion to me. When I say "Nazis-ism should be ended and Nazis hanged" is that hate speech? Nazis are not popular, yet in calling for their deaths am I not guilty of hate? Once you start down the road of political correctness you may never again be truly free. Censorship does not belong anywhere on the internet.
linuxcbon

#60 Post by linuxcbon »

I think the forum should remove from now the "Off-Topic Area" because too many people are abusing it. Let's talk only about puppy here.