Would the moderator care to explain the censorship?

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
tlchost

#101 Post by tlchost »

shariebeth wrote: Can we all get back on topic and try to re-rail this derailed thread?
The key to getting moderator action and/or Murga presence is to hone in on the moderation issues.

From my perspective....it's not that there is moderation, it's more that it's spineless moderation.

This thread, as others in the past, is an example of what happens when posts are deleted and the moderator does not continue to delete subsequent posts....sooner or later there are enough posts that have not been deleted asking why, or who did it that the moderator is forced to post in public.

Based on hisotry here, I suspect none of our posts, comments or suggestions will make any changes in moderation policy....this is NOT a democracy. Mr. Murga and his designees control the ball...they set the rules, even if they refuse to publish them.

It may be time to stop charging the windmills.

Thom
beguiled

#102 Post by beguiled »

I can't see that this thread can accomplish anything except confirm what was already common knowledge. There is no free speech here. The only reason this hasn’t been delete or closed is Flash or Murga want to give a temporary appearance of free speech. Tomorrow morning this will all be moderated. Anyone who doesn’t believe me can take a screenshot for posterity.
nooby

#103 Post by nooby »

Thom I know you don't trust me to get it regardless of how well
you explain it.

But if you trust all the other Puppy forum members and them being
native user of English even then why not explain to them then.

Because I only see you and SharieBeth and at most two more agreeing and the rest of us do let John and Flash and whom ever else are there today do the moderation.

Why would we change the way them do things. Sure we can disagree
and try to argue friendly with them but this constant emotionally charged
postings how do them help at all apart that you guys seems to have fun complaining.

I am no fan boy of how the moderation goes at all. But I try to be realistic about what to expect.

The Admin and Mods want it like this so I have to deal with it.

I don't like that we talk politics and religion in the Truly off topic part.
I know from way back 1995 I have been active on Atheist forums talking religion and politics 24/7 even. I don't think it is a good thing to do that
here in this forum. It only create strife among us.

Take all this Buddha talk. I can talk Amida Buddha all day long but this is a forum for Puppy linux. But John decide on it. I have nothing to say.
I can only deal with it.

Why don't you do the same?
Last edited by nooby on Mon 31 Oct 2011, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.
beguiled

#104 Post by beguiled »

nooby wrote:The Admin and Mods want it like this so I have to deal with it.

I say you are a fanboy otherwise you wouldn’t care what was said about the moderation here.
nooby

#105 Post by nooby »

You can ask both Flash and Beem that I surely don't agree
with some of their Moderation them do. John I know too little.
I was even very angry on Beem too and told him so.
So I am no fan boy of the moderation.

I would want them to stop all the politics and the religion talk too.
So I am no fan at all. I just try to see things from many perspectives.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
jpeps

#106 Post by jpeps »

beguiled wrote:I can't see that this thread can accomplish anything except confirm what was already common knowledge. There is no free speech here. The only reason this hasn’t been delete or closed is Flash or Murga want to give a temporary appearance of free speech. Tomorrow morning this will all be moderated. Anyone who doesn’t believe me can take a screenshot for posterity.
Why would anyone care? This topic already ended about the time you made your appearance.
8-bit

#107 Post by 8-bit »

To censor or delete posts.
Now that is the question.
Say any of us were a moderator.
I sure would not want to be one.
There are those that rain down on a moderator for trying to keep some discussions on the forum at a low boil.
A discussion of anything as long as it is kept civil is ok with most and I am guessing ok with moderators.
It is when tempers raise and name calling and verbal fist fights start that it takes away from the forum.

I am not that well educated, having only a high school one.
And growing up, I was a wall flower that did not get out and interact with others.
So my ability to express myself is lacking.

But this thread or any thread that invites discussion and also pulls in some that want to see a major argument start are subject to being locked or deleted.

Maybe my opinion does not count here.
But you have it now anyway.

I know of a forum where all messages are edited for content including personal messages.
If the content is not liked, the message never is seen by anyone.

How many would like to go to that type of censorship?

If that was the case here, this entire thread would have never existed.
Any thread, civil or not, that was deemed as having the possibility of causing problems would be deleted.
No personal messages to others would be safe from censorship.

I like this forum and the latitude it gives us.
beguiled

#108 Post by beguiled »

nooby
If you’re happier not thinking of yourself as a fanboy then who am I to disillusion you? I wonder in what reality you wrote all those glowing words about this forum? Sure sounded like fanboy talk to me.
nooby

#109 Post by nooby »

beguiled wrote:Complaints about censorship here are a pissing in the wind issue. Stop bitching because it ain’t never going to improve.
May I kindly ask why you piss in the wind? :)
Why don't you stop bitching? Get real?
beguiled

#110 Post by beguiled »

What does it matter if I post? Lots of threads in truly OT end in tears.
nooby

#111 Post by nooby »

So your whole purpose is to be disruptive then? To have fun on our behalf.
You behave like a free loader a free rider.
beguiled

#112 Post by beguiled »

OK, I’ll leave you to it. This place is paradise and I must have been mad to think otherwise.
nooby

#113 Post by nooby »

beguiled wrote:OK, I’ll leave you to it. This place is paradise and I must have been mad to think otherwise.
As I do say you do have humor. But that thing about threads ending in tears?

That surprise me. New to me.

Edit oops my English totally failed there. I tried to correct it now

Edit again. It is late. I go to bed now.
tlchost

#114 Post by tlchost »

nooby wrote: Take all this Buddha talk. I can talk Amida Buddha all day long but this is a forum for Puppy linux. But John decide on it. I have nothing to say.
I can only deal with it.

Wake UP Nooby....I am the one that says that users can do nothing to change the moderation here....do you understand that?

I am one of the ones that has pointed to the double standard of off-topic discussions....do you understand that?

You are the one that made reference to not wanting the moderation to be like the Tea Party....which I don't understand at all...other than it is some agenda you have.
arcanis

#115 Post by arcanis »

Once upon a time, I was not only a moderator and administrator but a site owner within the moribund Orkut communities. What an experience that was!

I'm sure, despite my very tough reputation, that I seemed unfair to some people, that I may have had what seemed to be favorites at times. But I didn't do it intentionally.

Sometimes I just knew the person involved through some other contact and I knew that they were not trying to sound exactly the way it read in print...and remember, Orkut is dominated by Brazilians and Indians, so when they posted in my English-speaking groups it was not always what you would hear in Kansas City, or even London. No, I take that back. You would hear it said that way in some stores in London.

Anyway, I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes here and I doubt anyone else can say with authority either. I had days when I had to apologize for my acting in haste, and I had situations I dealt with late because I was hoping the group would learn from each others' differences in their interactions.

Then, too, I was often mystified when a post would just disappear *poof!* as though it had never ever been there. Then I learned that there was another secret world tunneled into Orkut's servers that sometimes interacted with the surface code and caused "RANDOM" glitches. It seems Orkut is thoroughly hacked and who knows what nefarious activities are being carried out in the sewer systems beneath those Orkutian streets. (Unless they're hacktivists, working for a better world. But who knows?)

I'm not defending whatever is going on here. I'm not saying that it's all a misperception on several people's part. I'm just sharing that the world is a difficult place that is not fair. My first boss shared with me that whoever told me life would be fair should be slapped, even if it was my mama, because that person l i e d to me.

And we all of us make our share of mistakes and have our personal biases, and we are not fair to others despite our best intentions.

Let's lighten up and share a round of beers, shall we? We'll charge it to the mod's tab. :lol:
Geoffrey

#116 Post by Geoffrey »

Gee, it's getting that way now that when I click the Truly off-topic conversations thread, I break out in a cold sweat......... :lol:

As for censorship, I guess it depends in what part of the world you live and how liberal your views are.

Here in Oz we are very liberal, lots of people are suprized when they come here, to find that we are allowed to speak so freely
on any topic without fear of retaliation, nothing is held that sacred that it can't be questioned.

Geoffrey
shariebeth

#117 Post by shariebeth »

Geoffrey wrote:Gee, it's getting that way now that when I click the Truly off-topic conversations thread, I break out in a cold sweat......... :lol:

As for censorship, I guess it depends in what part of the world you live and how liberal your views are.

Here in Oz we are very liberal, lots of people are suprized when they come here, to find that we are allowed to speak so freely
on any topic without fear of retaliation, nothing is held that sacred that it can't be questioned.

Geoffrey
Just in case some people get confused by his statement...
http://www.newsrealblog.com/2011/05/19/ ... %E2%80%9D/
JohnMurga
Site Admin

#118 Post by JohnMurga »

Hi,

I will say the following ...

The moderation process does not always work as transparently as I would like, this is something that I keep on promising to improve but never get round to ... It is my fault, but we do our best.

We have moderators in every timezone, and they work hard to keep the forum clean. Although I trust their judgement anyone should feel free to bring incidents to my attention. You can say all you like about "the club", but in truth I have banned two moderators who where supposed to be part of that club when I found that they where abusing or misusing their power.

At the moment there is a group of people with a lot of time on their hands, who are determined to paint the forum in a bad light.

And I am not talking about those who freely express their opinion (something which I try to encourage), but users like "beguiled" ...

Created with the sole purpose of sowing dissent (look at the posting history) ...
In most cases by users who have been banned and want this forum to cease operations (as clearly stated).

What is seriously disappointing is that there many who sit there just dying to take the bait (shariebeth, how nice to see you again).

This "Truly off-topic conversations" is a bit of a liability, but I feel it is important that people do get to be "Totally off-topic".
However, if you over do it then your post may not survive ...

That is what I call common sense.

Cheers
John de Murga