LegacyOS2 Full installation makes no progress during install

Booting, installing, newbie
svgt

LegacyOS2 Full installation makes no progress during install

#1 Post by svgt »

Hi,

I want to install this Puppy on an old notebook with 750Mhz and 256MB Ram. The live system is coming up successfully. Then I try to do a full hdd install into a logical ext2 partition. There is the message of copying the files from cdrom. But only 140MB are copied. The system is up and responsive, but nothing else happens.

Someone has an idea?

Regards
Svgt
starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

Hello svgt. I wish I could greet you in German, but being somewhat of an Ignorant American I only know three words of your language (gesundheit, bratwurst, and wunderbar) unless a certain automotive company's name counts, in which case I know four.

Regarding your troubles... can you tell us the make and model of your notebook? If it is a Dell, please look up the service tag online (google will tell you how) and Dell will tell you what was in it when it was purchased. Better would be if you could give a full listing of the specifications, like this (using a very old laptop of mine purely for example) --

Make: Dell
Model: Latitude CPi D300XT
Processor: Pentium II 300MHz
RAM: 64MB of PC66 EDO
Hard Drive: 4GB CompactFlash card in adapter
Optical Drive: CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive
Other: old battery, no wireless (yet), maximum screen resolution is 800x600

We also need to know what version of Puppy you are attempting to use.

At this point, I can tell you a few things.

Unless you want to use a very stripped-down version of Puppy (sc0ttman's PupLite comes to mind, as do PULP and TurboPup) you will find it quite necessary to place a second partition on your hard drive (I would recommend 512MB at least) formatted as "linux-swap" (that's what gparted calls it). If you do want to try one of those smaller Puppies, you will find them on this forum in the Puppy Derivatives section (possibly Puppy Projects as well).

Regarding the rest... you may have a hard drive problem, either to do with space or to do with failure. How big is the ext2 partition into which you are trying to install? Does the drive make any sound other than a smooth whirring noise? (especially clicking noises are bad)

Also, what speed is the optical drive? If it is very old, please try re-burning your Puppy ISO to CD at 4x. If you have ImgBurn (a Windows program) I can tell you how to do this. I can tell you that a LOT of older computers will NOT like a CD that is burnt at higher speeds than that.

Other thoughts... try cleaning the CD (fog it with your breath and then wipe it on your shirt if your shirt is clean -- cheaper and easier than using isopropyl or one of those stupid cleaning kits, and almost always the results are the same). Check the md5 sum to make sure it all downloaded properly. If you used Firefox to download it, and the download was paused/unpaused at any time, you should re-download -- I have never once had a paused download come out completely intact.

Hope that helps a lot!

EDIT: argh, you already said what Puppy you're trying to use. I'm sorry, I was too busy typing to read it! :oops:
gnomic

legacy install problem

#3 Post by gnomic »

Not enough information here for a definitive diagnosis. On the face of it either the live CD is faulty or there is a problem with the partition being used as a destination. Just possibly there could be some other hardware problem, is the RAM known to be good? If the live CD is running OK then presumably the source for the install is good. How was the ext2 partition made? Any other Linux installed on it previously? What does the 'dmesg' command have to say when run on the command line after install fails to complete? Is the hard disk known to be good, it could be getting old and tired?

The previous poster who responded also makes some good points you could investigate.

"The system is up and responsive" - that's the live session of Legacy you are trying to install from?
svgt

#4 Post by svgt »

@starhawk hello, there are two additonal important German words: sauerkraut and Edeltraut, occuring in a Elvis hit.

Make: Dell
Model: PP01L
Latitude C600
Processor: Pentium III 750MHz
RAM: 256MB
Hard Drive: 20GB
Optical Drive: CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive

I have burned a normal CD-R and the installation was successful.

Another item is now annoying: There is a Puppy 528 at sda1, swap at sda2 and Legacy at sda3. But with Legacy there are different names for the partitions: hda1 hda2 hda3. After Grub installation from Legacy, the Legacy Puppy was starting, but the previous 528 did not start at all.
Which Grub should I use with which names for the partions?

Regards
starhawk

#5 Post by starhawk »

Ha, forgot about sauerkraut. Not sure how considering that there's a jar of it in my pantry right now :oops: Haven't heard the other one though. What is it?

Glad to hear that a fresh CD-R fixed your issue :D that's a good thing.

BTW, my (admittedly rather short) experience with LegacyOS leads me to believe that you are going to be experiencing quite a bit of slowness.

The one time I've tried LegacyOS2 (hint: don't try to use a netbook and external cd drive, it's not gonna happen) was on an eMachines with a 2.4ghz Celeron and 512mb RAM... much better than your system... it ran about as fast as Ubuntu 11.04 did on the same box. That is to say, it flew like it was full of glue paste and birdshot. Not impressed.

Might I make a suggestion... wipe that HDD entirely and start over. You want at least 512mb of it formatted LINUX-SWAP (1gb would be better) and then the rest for LegacyOS2.

I honestly don't know what bootloader options are in LegacyOS2... I always use Grub4DOS with Puppy simply because it's, well, useable for me -- never gotten Grub / Grub Legacy to work. I've no idea if that's their software or my brain, but I'm inclined to think the second.
svgt

#6 Post by svgt »

I managed it with the proposed Grub4Dos from Puppy 528. Then I changed there the menu.lst entry for Legacy to hda3. Now I am happy with a running old machine.

In spite of the glue statement I like this Legacy OS, because there are so many programs inside.
starhawk

#7 Post by starhawk »

Well... I guess if you're a satisfied customer, there's not much more to be asked ;)

Glad you like it :D not for me, but I'm glad it has a place somewhere... TBH my other issue was that it looked far too much like Ubuntu. Don't get me wrong, Ubuntu's OK, Puppy's great, but a Puppy that looks like Ubuntu... no, please. I'd prefer to avoid the identity crisis, thanks.
bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

There is a Puppy 528 at sda1, swap at sda2 and Legacy at sda3. But with Legacy there are different names for the partitions: hda1 hda2 hda3.
Basic answer:
older versions of Puppy identify partitions as hda.
Newer versions use sda.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)