lup528: WLAN auto-connect unreliable [SOLVED]

Booting, installing, newbie
thkn777

lup528: WLAN auto-connect unreliable [SOLVED]

#1 Post by thkn777 »

Hi there,
my Lupu528 installation seems to forget the WLAN autoconnect now and then. Result: no network connection.

BACKGROUND:
- I used Berry's simple network tool to connect
- IF it works, everything is fine: I start my laptop and (almost) as soon as the desktop is ready, WLAN connection is present and usable
- if it fails, I can try to reboot the laptop... sometimes it helps, sometimes not
- it's NOT about loading the drivers and recognizing hardware. If WLAN fails to autoconnect, I can search for available WLAN's, find my routers SSID and can repeat the setup/connect steps and will be connected
- Slacko53 doesn't show this behaviour

GOAL:
Find a solution that let the laptop connect automatically to a given WLAN. And I mean EVERY TIME I boot up the laptop and that WLAN is present.

ALTERNATIVE:
Manual re-connect if autoconnect fails. A simple button to click (i.e. like the easy drive mount symbols) and a given "profile" will be loaded and connected. Please (if possible) nothing, where the user has to go through several system tools, dropdown boxes and stuff.

Looking forward to your ideas and suggestions. If you need more / special information about my config and stuff, just let me know.

Kind regards,
Th.
Last edited by thkn777 on Sat 12 Nov 2011, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
LucidPuppy 5.2.8 "frugal" / DPup 5.x.9 "frugal" booting from USB flash drive using savefile. Acer Travelmate 5520G, 2GB RAM, ATI 2400XT, AMD TL-62 2x2.1GHz
Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

*Pass....
Last edited by Semme on Sat 12 Nov 2011, 01:33, edited 1 time in total.
darkcity

#3 Post by darkcity »

hi thkn77

I have similar problems and wish there was a button you could just click to reconnect.

Have you installed Frisbee? I find it makes connection a bit more reliable

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Frisbee

:arrow:
rjbrewer

#4 Post by rjbrewer »

Right click connect icon.

Click autoconnect.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs
thkn777

#5 Post by thkn777 »

Sorry for the delayed update and thanks for all the hints.

I tried everything, but nothing worked. On a console I always got a "...SCIO-something" (sorry, didn't write it down) message and finally gave up using my usb flash. I should have done this earlier... booted from CD and WLAN worked. I have no idea, what I did to my usb stick... but I really tried a lot of things and something real bad happened to puppy.

Anyway... with a fresh install everything is up and running now, including auto-connect. :D

@darkcity
I downloaded some of the many puppy derivates and some have Frisbee... so far I like it, too! Dpup 5.x.9 uses Frisbee by default, looks nice and has Cups 1.4.x which I need for my printer.

Kind regards,
Th.
LucidPuppy 5.2.8 "frugal" / DPup 5.x.9 "frugal" booting from USB flash drive using savefile. Acer Travelmate 5520G, 2GB RAM, ATI 2400XT, AMD TL-62 2x2.1GHz