changing external display

Booting, installing, newbie
vickyg2003

changing external display

#1 Post by vickyg2003 »

Hi,

Sorry for my ignorance.

I have a laptop, and I plugged an external monitor in. When I booted Puppy LU5.25, I chose a display that was bigger than the native display. That seems to be a problem. The screen refresh is REALLY sluggish and the mouse pointer is disappearing and the video is choppy. I think that the amount of video memory isn't big enough to support the snappy refresh that I see when I use the laptop screen.

My normal course of action if I do something wrong is to delete the Sfs file and reinstall everything, but I'm kind of short on time.

I was hoping that there is something I can type in from the command console to fix/delete this setting without going through the my normal reinstall procedure. Everything else is working perfectly.

I am getting ready to do a Puppy presentation on Puppy, using a projector as the external monitor, and I don't want to give a bad impression of the operating system, since I think very highly of all the puppies.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

The procedure you used should be able to return you to original settings.

What you are trying to do, using an external monitor, is possible.
Yes the abilities of the video hardware is a factor.

Always a good idea to start with a low setting and work up.

shutdown to the console and run xorgwizard will get you full control of video output settings.
xwin starts x sever. To get back to desktop.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

vickyg2003

#3 Post by vickyg2003 »

Thanks.