How to install Libreoffice in USB Flash drive Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
mich04

How to install Libreoffice in USB Flash drive Puppy?

#1 Post by mich04 »

Hi there,
I have been looking around, I have a 4gb flash drive with Puppy Linux qemu installed. I want to install libreoffice or openoffice cutdown, when ever I try to do this I get an error that there is not enough room to build the packages. Most of the computers I use have 1-3 gigs of ram Is there a way to increase the amount of resources available to Puppy Linux?

Also I noticed that the amount of "ram" allocated for programs started out at 110 and now is down to 108, does ram naturally decrease over time on a usb installation?

I can not use the hard drives on any of the computers that I am on. It has to be ram disk or the usb stick. Thanks :)

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Also I noticed that the amount of "ram" allocated for programs started out at 110 and now is down to 108, does ram naturally decrease over time on a usb installation?
What version of Puppy?
Where are you getting this information?
How big is the save file you are using?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mich04

#3 Post by mich04 »

Puppy Linux Version 2.17-1

Bottom right hand screen on the system tray of puppys desktop. It stopped going down so I just assume it wrote some extra information for configuration.

The size of my file is 128,
I would like to increase it, but when I go into utility's, and select the "increase personal file size" command it does not launch anything,

darkcity

#4 Post by darkcity »

In most puppies the personal pup save file won't resize until reboot.

1) Selected how much you want to increase the size by

2) then reboot

any joy? :arrow:

sfeeley

#5 Post by sfeeley »

See below for a big caveat:
Bottom right hand screen on the system tray of puppys desktop. It stopped going down so I just assume it wrote some extra information for configuration.

99% of the time this does not indicate ram. Rather it indicates the size and remaining space in your save file (if you are running in pfix=ram it might indicate ram, but I don't think thats your case).

it looks like you are running out of room in your save file to put the open office install.

2 possible solutions:
1) I suspect you are using a .pet to install oo. Can you use a .sfs version instead? This should end up going outside of your save file, circumventing your problem

2) other possible solution: enlarge your save file. I've not done this, but, I think ordinarily the save file cannot be in use when you enlarge it --especially on older puppies (which is probably why your previous efforts failed). Ordinarily the solution to this is at boot to hit f2 to get boot options and then type

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=ram
this will give a clean install that works without your savefile, so that you can modify it. When you shut down, it will ask if you want a new save file, click no.

The big caveat: I've never used qemu puppy (although it looks cool!) since it runs in its own emulator, I don't know if the steps I outlined above would work. IN which case, I apologize for possibly misleading you

sfeeley

#6 Post by sfeeley »

I just looked up

http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qemupuppy/

if you scroll down to 6.2 it gives info for how to enlarge the save file

mich04

#7 Post by mich04 »

I really should have titled this post differently,
So I had read http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qemupuppy/ before, and saw the commands

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=pup_save.3fs bs=1k count=800
$ mkfs.ext3 pup_save.3fs

I have increased the size of pup_save.3fs to 500 MB, but this did not increase the ram disk, which still sits at 122 MB. I had tried to compile it again with pet manager, but it still gave me the same error.

I was going to try the .sfs version, but I believe that qemu is being very buggy.

When ever I try to open sea monkey, it will stay open for about 10-20 seconds, but than it will randomly shrink it to a bar or randomly close.

I thought well I will just open up internet explorer in windows and research. The windows in XP keep scrolling all the way to the top randomly. As I was trying to read this post it kept scrolling to the top of the page.

I can take care of the problem by restarting my computer, but as soon as I boot puppy from my usb things just start to act funny. Should I make a new post about this? What should I do it feels like a bug to me. At this point until these crazy things stop puppy is unusable to me.

I am running xorg instead of xversa, I tried to switch, but it pops up a menu telling me I need to use the wizard....which is what I am using...

Edit: I mean the "ramdisk" not actual ram, but what you were saying earlier with the save file.

mich04

#8 Post by mich04 »

Problems solved, as far as the bugginess. I moved to a new computer switched to xversa and I went to 16 bit color. Now everything is running great. I do not think I am going to be able to get warzone2100 on here. Maybe I should design a distro that only plays that game. :p

Ok can you direct me to the sfs pacakges. I tried to install opera and it would not let me. (just to try a smaller package)

Edit: My idea behind using this puppy ;) is to present it to a classroom of peers to show what linux is...

sfeeley

#9 Post by sfeeley »

dit: My idea behind using this puppy Wink is to present it to a classroom of peers to show what linux is...
Fyi: the version of puppy that you are using Puppy Linux qemu, is a variant based on an extremely old version of puppy (2.17).

Bad News: quemu puppy which runs from inside its own virtual qemu computer hasn't really been replicated to the best of my knowledge. Although it may have been updated a bit-- see the end of this thread
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 7&start=45

Good news: if your goal is to have an easy to use puppy linux that you can show your class, any puppy can run from a flash drive or a CD/DVD. The one difference, you will have to shut down the computer first and boot from that device (and the computer must be capable of booting from a flash drive -- most modern computers are, but the bios settings might need to be tweaked).

My recommendation-- burn a CD. Bring to class. Stick it in the computer. Turn it on, and wow them with puppy linux.
Better yet-- burn extra copies and give them out.
Tip: test on the computer before the presentation :D
Ok can you direct me to the sfs pacakges.
you can find the the sfs for open office here.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... modules-2/

It may infact be that you are hitting ram issues (despite what I said earlier). One possible solution might be to make a swap file or swap partition (which acts as additional extra ram) Hopefully somebody wiser can step in here-- I'm not much more than a newb

mich04

#10 Post by mich04 »

Well that was a thought if I was going to do that I would have just threw my Arch Linux system on there it has openbox and wbar :) , but I am in a distance learning class and they run the video and sound through the computer...It's ok I new that 2.17 was pretty old.....I will figure something out it is actually running pretty good. I was working on getting openbox on there right now with wbar, I had to down load some libs, I am not sure why

Now what do you think about section 8.2 in this http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qemupuppy/#8.2.0? I would be willing to try to make a new puppy version work in this matter. I have really enjoyed being able to be on linux while I am at school. I am just trying to keep my head low from the tech department.

sfeeley

#11 Post by sfeeley »

I suspect you would get a lot of interest in that over at "puppy derivatives" section of the forum. And probably good suggestions.

I love the idea of a plug in puppy that would potentially run on computers at my local university library. But development is above my pay-grade and level of knowledge

good luck!