can't connect on internet via 3g usb modems

Booting, installing, newbie
aarf

#21 Post by aarf »

When you get this
kocg wrote: --> Starting pppd
--> pid of pppd: 17247
it means that it is connected and you have done everything right and you can start surfing. But if you are getting the disconnect message immediately after the above correct connection then something else is going wrong somewhere . What does error 16 say for man pppd in a console?
aarf

#22 Post by aarf »

Oh yes you dont need to type all the screen output. do as everyone else does, take a screenshot and post the image to the forum. Screenshot is usually in graphics menu.
aarf

#23 Post by aarf »

Error 16 : the link was terminated because the peer is not responding to echo requests.
kocg

#24 Post by kocg »

muggins wrote:you mentioned that you had a zte modem, but you didn't say which model you had?
i'm switched on sony ericsson now, it's md 300 model, i think.
does it give you the option of using a different ttyUSB port
yes, yes, i tried every possible combination.
the manufacturers usually don't release drivers specifically for linux
well, i think it's the main problem of 3g modems on linux.

btw, what is driver? someone explained me already but didn't realise.
aarf

#25 Post by aarf »

Searching gives http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread. ... d-error-16
If someone can make sense out of it.
Last edited by aarf on Tue 31 Jan 2012, 13:37, edited 2 times in total.
kocg

#26 Post by kocg »

aarf wrote:Error 16 : the link was terminated because the peer is not responding to echo requests.
but what does it mean?

you dont need to type all the screen output. do as everyone else does, take a screenshot and post the image to the forum.
i don't know, kind a it's easier like this to me.

it means that it is connected and you have done everything right
thank god, i'm thinking all the time what i do wrong.

so, that's mistake in misunderstanding and notrecognizing bethween modem and linux? am i right? can 'wine' help in that?
aarf

#27 Post by aarf »

Try enabling the debug option like it says in the link above, and then posting the output. (Copy and paste the output dont manually type it) someone may be able to help from there. Not me though.
kocg

#28 Post by kocg »

aarf wrote:Try enabling the debug option like it says in the link above, and then posting the output. (Copy and paste the output dont manually type it) someone may be able to help from there. Not me though.
aarf, tnx a lot, you help a lot.

next steps i don't understand what to do, maybe someone will know next days.
tallboy

#29 Post by tallboy »

I also have a problem connecting in Lupu 5.2.8 and Wary 5.2.2, but of another kind. Those two puppyversions cannot mount the USB stick modem at all, it is invisible no matter what I do. The modem is a ZTE MF636.

I wonder if any of you gurus know if there is a difference in handling of a 3G modem, if the linuxbox's USB version is less than 2.0?

Are there differences in the code used by different puppyversions, and may the different USB versions be the problem?

Using dpup484beta4 (kernel 2.6.30.5) in the same machine make everything behave as usual.

Tallboy
Amgine

#30 Post by Amgine »

Have you tried resting your modem? (WIFI box)
tallboy

#31 Post by tallboy »

I am not sure about what you mean, can you please be more specific?

Tallboy
Amgine

#32 Post by Amgine »

tallboy wrote:I am not sure about what you mean, can you please be more specific?

Tallboy
I might be thinking wrong!

Do you have an internet modem in your house that your computers wifi connects to?

If so unplug the power for about 30sec and replug.

(Does 3G use Cellphone????)
tallboy

#33 Post by tallboy »

OK, thanks, I see what you mean now. No, the USB 3G modems usually come in the form of a USB memory-stick that you just plug in, and they do contain a SIM card, just as a cellphone does. The problem is that they also usually has a memory section built in, for storing contacts lists and so on, and that dual function often screw up the attachment process, as they are recognized as memory sticks instead of modems. A complicating factor is that the software supplied with them, are usually just drivers for Windoze.

In one puppy it comes up as a CD/DVD drive icon, in others as a memory stick. They then have to be mounted and unmounted to start the modem recognition. My problem is that they are not found at all. I run live puppys only.

It is not my intention to steal this thread, my question is related to whether different USB versions that is used on the host machine, can give attachment or connection problems, like in the first post, as well as mine.

Tallboy
Amgine

#34 Post by Amgine »

tallboy wrote:OK, thanks, I see what you mean now. No, the USB 3G modems usually come in the form of a USB memory-stick that you just plug in, and they do contain a SIM card, just as a cellphone does. The problem is that they also usually has a memory section built in, for storing contacts lists and so on, and that dual function often screw up the attachment process, as they are recognized as memory sticks instead of modems. A complicating factor is that the software supplied with them, are usually just drivers for Windoze.

In one puppy it comes up as a CD/DVD drive icon, in others as a memory stick. They then have to be mounted and unmounted to start the modem recognition. My problem is that they are not found at all. I run live puppys only.

It is not my intention to steal this thread, my question is related to whether different USB versions that is used on the host machine, can give attachment or connection problems, like in the first post, as well as mine.

Tallboy
Ok I see. Sorry I could not be of any help..
kocg

#35 Post by kocg »

i think i have a solution, and it's on these links:

1. http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Huawei_E630

2. http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Huawei_E220

3. http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Huawei_E160

can someone explaine me what are they talkin about?
in less then 30 words, very very simplfied?

i feel that's it, but can't understood or do it, in a way they explain.