Slacko Puppy 531 Package Manager has disappeared....

Booting, installing, newbie
AnalogReigns

Slacko Puppy 531 Package Manager has disappeared....

#1 Post by AnalogReigns »

Been having fun as a newbie setting up Slacko Puppy as my replacement to a crapped out XP machine. Installed many packages etc.

This is a standard live-CD install (since that is highly recommended) and I've rebooted, restarted X, updated package manager through slickpet (which still works)...done all I've known how to do, but, when package manager is started, a quick orange (too quick to read) notice flips by, and....no package manager.

What now?
bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Did you make a save file before adding packages and making changes?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)
disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

Do you see any messages if you try starting it from a terminal? (BTW what is the correct command for that these days - is it `petget`?)
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER
Eyes-Only

#4 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi disciple! Hmm... I just tried it in cli and it's still "ppm" to get the "Puppy Package Manager".

At least this has always worked for me whenever I've been venturous and wanted to work with the cli instead of the mouse. ;) Mileage may vary!

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*
AnalogReigns

#5 Post by AnalogReigns »

Didn't make a save before adding the packages. I tried "petget" in the terminal, but got nothing. So "PPM" is the command? I'll try that.

Since then...I've installed another Slacko puppy, just to have a clean working copy (what I'm using right now).

I'm sure I installed an incompatible package, as I was putting all kinds of things in before this happened--and I'd used packages meant for different versions of Puppy...
AnalogReigns

#6 Post by AnalogReigns »

OK PPM in terminal renders only:

"** ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 30, near token '</vbox>': syntax error

aborting..."

How can I edit good ol' PPM?
Eyes-Only

#7 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hmm... I'm wondering whether or not you've added something to your Slacko-Pup as this morning I've chosen to boot into my own Slacko-Pup ( notice my sigfile and that I'm running around 14 on this drive lol! ) and when I type "ppm" - without the quotes of course - I get the Puppy Package Manager without any problems.

As Alice said when going through the looking glass, "Curiouser! And curiouser!" :shock:

So this is the only thing I can think of, something added which has corrupted gtkdialog. But on the otherhand I could be all wet behind the ears as I didn't work on Slacko.

Hopefully someone else who worked/Dev'd upon it will have some ideas and come along soon as even I find this most perplexing.

Ciao/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*