Slacko 5.3 desktop icons lost their captios

Using applications, configuring, problems
greengeek

Re: [SOLVED] Slacko lost captions.

#21 Post by greengeek »

NETTKNUT wrote:I look upon this problem as being 'fixed' rather than solved as we need to get to the bottom of the trouble - was it Slacko, Libre Office or another culprit?
So far I would say (based on what npierce found out about the jre pet..) that Libreoffice itself is probably not at fault, and maybe the JRE itself is not at fault, but instead maybe the problem is that the maker of the JRE pet included ROX options that were incompatible with the black desktop of Slacko.

However, the colour change is not the only issue. My Skype icon disappeared from the desktop, and the "console" and "calc" shortcuts lost their icons too, so maybe the pet maker should have left out any of the ROX options altogether. (I really have no useful clues here..)

NETTKNUT - do you recall where you got your Libreoffice from? And did you manually load a jre afterwards (as I did) or did it load as part of the Libreoffice install?
Last edited by greengeek on Sat 25 Feb 2012, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
Semme

#22 Post by Semme »

Rt-clk your icons > file > set icon > show'n drag'm in.. Corresponding desktop files are in /usr/share/applications.
greengeek

#23 Post by greengeek »

Hmmm. Slickpet. I am sure there used to be a slickpet icon on the desktop. Now it's gone. Another after effect of the evil pet bug.

Went into the setup menu and tried slickpet that way and successfully installed gnome games as a trial.

Lesson learnt. Start with slickpet when looking for add-ons.
(I will try the icon fix now too. Thanks.)
greengeek

#24 Post by greengeek »

Semme wrote:Rt-clk your icons > file > set icon > show'n drag'm in.. Corresponding desktop files are in /usr/share/applications.
I may be misunderstanding this. I tried to drag an icon from /usr/share/applications onto the "set icon" box and came up with an error as shown in pic.
Attachments
calc icon update.jpg
(131.15 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
Semme

#25 Post by Semme »

Pardon me- icons get dragged into that box.. Desktop files you drag onto the desktop.

Your console icon is here: /usr/local/lib/X11pixmaps/console48.png

Is there a skype.desktop file in /usr/share/applications?

Slickpet is Quickpet. Drag from /usr/sbin..
greengeek

#26 Post by greengeek »

Found the pixmaps as you described, and dragged calc and console to their appropriate places, and also dragged quickpet from sbin.

No, there is no Skype desktop program in usr/share/applications. Instead I dragged the skpye icon from /root/my-applications/bin/skype_static/icons (I remembered that is where I originally stored the unzipped skype files)

I noticed a strange thing though - when I look at all the icons in X11/pixmaps, the smaller ones don’t look small, they just look fuzzy and blurred/pixelated (as if they have been artificially expanded to the 48x48 size). I remember seeing a forum entry somewhere that mentioned this type of thing. Something about “adding spaces
Attachments
pixmaps fuzzy.jpg
(177.12 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Semme

#27 Post by Semme »

Rox icon rendering shouldn't concern you.. Spaces in file naming however is something you'll wanna get away from..
NETTKNUT

Slacko 5.3 desktop icons lost their captions

#28 Post by NETTKNUT »

To greengeek: I installed Libre Office from slickpet 'sfs get' tab.
I had to install JRE separately. I have not had any other problems and am not using skype. Hope this helps.
greengeek

Re: Slacko 5.3 desktop icons lost their captions

#29 Post by greengeek »

NETTKNUT wrote:To greengeek: I installed Libre Office from slickpet 'sfs get' tab.
I had to install JRE separately
Thanks. Any idea where the JRE was from? Do you think you would still have the .pet or know the name/source of it?
Nepozvan

#30 Post by Nepozvan »

I have problem with clicking on icons.

Some time i must clik 2 or 3 times on icon to open or execute it.

What is that?
greengeek

#31 Post by greengeek »

Nepozvan wrote:Some time i must clik 2 or 3 times on icon to open or execute it.
Are you running Slacko 5.3 or a different version of Puppy?

What happens when you click just once on an icon. Do you see a square box flash around it? Or does the icon flicker at all?
NETTKNUT

Slacko 5.3 desktop icons lost their captions

#32 Post by NETTKNUT »

To greengeek I downloaded jre-6u26-1-i386 from 412collection.co.uk. I also downloaded getflash-0.5.pet from murga-linux. I'm not sure which is relevant.
tytower

#33 Post by tytower »

Now thats the type of investigative work we need npierce

I too downloaded LibreOffice and got the problem
greengeek

#34 Post by greengeek »

tytower wrote: I too downloaded LibreOffice and got the problem
Do you recall where you got the Libreoffice download from? And did you load a JRE separately?
greengeek

#35 Post by greengeek »

Anyone looking for an appropriate JRE may want to view this post:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67371

Disclaimer: I have no idea which JRE might be appropriate or inappropriate for Slacko53 (or any other particular purpose). I will post back if I have further info.
npierce

#36 Post by npierce »

NETTKNUT wrote:I downloaded jre-6u26-1-i386 from 412collection.co.uk
I had a look at that file. As expected, it is identical to the one at http://www.revolutionvoice.com/. Both have the troublesome /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options file.

A quick search of the Web shows that this PET lives at half a dozen places around the world.

Caveat emptor.

For what it's worth, in February I also looked at the Lib Office download at http://www.revolutionvoice.com/. It didn't contain any ROX configuration files, so I believe it was innocent in this case. Only their jre-6u26-1-i386.pet was guilty. (That's not to say their Lib Office might not have other problems, but I don't think it will mess up your ROX settings. Of course, I don't know if they still offer the same Lib Office download. Their jre-6u26-1-i386.pet is still the troublesome one.)

Nepozvan wrote:Some time i must clik 2 or 3 times on icon to open or execute it.

What is that?
I looked at the troublesome Option file, but it was set to use single clicks both on the ROX pinboard and in ROX windows. So I think that problem is probably unrelated to this problem.

You didn't respond to greengeek's question about your Puppy version, so I can't say for sure. But if your Puppy has a version of GTK/GDK newer than 2.16, you may be seeing an incompatibility between ROX-Filer and recent versions of the GDK library. If so, after using the right-button menu on the desktop, you will need to click twice on an icon the first time you go to open or execute a file. After that a single click works until you use the right-button menu again. If you bring up the menu but don't use it, your first click dismisses the menu, which is the correct behavior. So normally, in that case you would click twice before the file opened, but with the incompatibility bug you would click three times.

(If interested, see bug report: ROX-Filer problem after accessing WM menus (ungrab bug)).
TLM

#37 Post by TLM »

Hi, I am responsible for the jre PET hosted at revolutionvoice.com. I will remove the PET as soon as possible. I had no idea it was so troublesome. I am not the creator of it however. Just uploaded it because i thought it was useful for LibreOffice and some webpages. Apologies for the issues it has caused.
tytower

#38 Post by tytower »

please remove
Last edited by tytower on Sun 08 Apr 2012, 07:57, edited 2 times in total.
tytower

#39 Post by tytower »

Nepozvan wrote:I have problem with clicking on icons.

Some time i must clik 2 or 3 times on icon to open or execute it.

What is that?
I found if my hand was shaky or not on a firm surface I was actually moving the icon rater than clicking on it
greengeek

#40 Post by greengeek »

TLM wrote:I will remove the PET as soon as possible. I had no idea it was so troublesome.
Thanks TLM. Not your fault.
It sounds as if this .pet is available in lots of other places too so I am sure this will continue to be a problem elsewhere.