Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
James C

#2201 Post by James C »

Guess I might as well report this problem. As was also happening in Exprimo and Wary, my installs of Saluki have no Wget and the inability to ping.Barry K discovered the solution here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 098#616098 so it should be in the next Woof commit.

Also, the PPM works but unable to download updated package lists.

Code: Select all

# wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz 
--2012-04-01 02:00:32--  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
Resolving fpdownload.macromedia.com (fpdownload.macromedia.com)... failed: Temporary failure in name resolution.
wget: unable to resolve host address `fpdownload.macromedia.com'
# 
Add the magic "-4" and Wget and ping works.

# wget -4 http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
--2012-04-01 02:07:47--  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
Resolving fpdownload.macromedia.com (fpdownload.macromedia.com)... 184.87.2.70
Connecting to fpdownload.macromedia.com (fpdownload.macromedia.com)|184.87.2.70|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 6746733 (6.4M) [application/x-gzip]
Saving to: `install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz'

100%[======================================>] 6,746,733    159K/s   in 42s     

2012-04-01 02:08:29 (159 KB/s) - `install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz' saved [6746733/6746733]

# --2012-04-01 02:00:32--  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63
Last edited by James C on Sun 01 Apr 2012, 07:11, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#2202 Post by DaveS »

Geoffrey wrote:
DaveS wrote:Please post that wallpaper
Dave, get it herehttp://www.desktopedia.com/bulkupload/D ... Colors.jpg
No longer seems to be there. One of the most difficult sites I have ever encountered.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Geoffrey

#2203 Post by Geoffrey »

DaveS wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
DaveS wrote:Please post that wallpaper
Dave, get it herehttp://www.desktopedia.com/bulkupload/D ... Colors.jpg
No longer seems to be there. One of the most difficult sites I have ever encountered.
That's strange dave, it may be due to the spaces or capitals in the name, I sent the link for a friend to test and it worked fine for him, any way I tared it up for you.
Attachments
Bubbles_Colors.tar.gz
(148.02 KiB) Downloaded 264 times

James C

#2204 Post by James C »

Took me a minute ,or five, but I finally got it downloaded too.
Since I've already archived it, I'll attach it for a backup...
Attachments
Bubbles Colors.jpg.bz2
(149.21 KiB) Downloaded 209 times

tronkel

#2205 Post by tronkel »

I've been trying out Saluki 017 yesterday.

Here's the story, first the problems.

Frisbee has never worked for me in other Puppy variants. In the case of Saluki, neither Frisbee, Barry's Simple Network Manager nor Network Manager would work. I had to therefore configure the rtl8192cu WLAN set-up manually using wpa_supplicant + DHCP from the command line. Works OK now.

Second problem was the ati fglrx module. The official pet package for this didn't work and neither was it possible to build the module as supplied from the AMD website - using kernel sources for k3.2.8 and the devx. I therefore decided to have a go with the Saluki Custom builder and installed the k3.1.10 PAE kernel sfs-module from Slacko along with the kernel sources pet. This was successful and the ATI fglrx built first time. From further research, this 3.2.8 kernel needs a patch so that the ati fglrx module can be compiled.

Third problem was the XFCE4 sound mixer. This mixer has a problem co-existing with ALSA. XFCE mixer and ALSA toggle each other's digital mixer channel (lol!) - hence no microphone in Skype. The fix was to install retrovol and to configure the xfce mixer panel applet to point to retrovol instead of to xfce-mixer. This is done by right-clicking the volume icon and accessing the properties menu.

The video and wlan problems as described above could well be show-stoppers for a noobie, so it it's worth looking into them.

The end result was good though. Looks good with Compiz running. Guake also worked straight out of the box. Really liked the Custom Builder. So I'll be exploring other customisation options further. Seems to be plenty of great extra software stuff available too.

I'll be using this distro on a daily basis and will be looking out for any updates.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

HiDeHo

#2206 Post by HiDeHo »

Hi i found this post. relating to sakluki and asking what i already have here. why is there only one forum for sakuki. click here

Having one thread really does make it hard to find the information for each build. sometimes a build can go back as far as 10 or more pages. this is why generally most other puppy os have made a new forum page for each build of there os, and use the puppy linux wikka for the main page for there os with all the new updates etc there.

I am only mentioning this again because i saw someone else pose the same question.

I cant wait for the final 1.0 release of saluki and it to become a full recognised puplet.

My view is that saluki is a more full featured os than other puppyes, in respect to using a bigger xfce desktop but still being small and compact. great job.

HiDeHo

Re: Desktop

#2207 Post by HiDeHo »

jemimah wrote:
HiDeHo wrote: I have noticed that the Puppy community generally people support each others projects more than other os, this is a good idea. why not pose the question on how to get pwidgest in a new post. others might happen to contribute.
I'm not talking about "moral support". If pwidgets makes a lot of assumptions about rox and jwm being there, and generally has issues with notifications messing it up, and not playing nice with xfdesktop, then it would need to be rewritten to meet basic quality standards before I add it to the repo. I don't think I plan to do that. If someone else wants to take it on, feel free.
I see your point. now looking at pwidegts. what is it based on. concky, gkrelm. maybe one of them could be modified to run on pupy. both can run in xfce.I say gkrelm would be better.

tronkel

CUPS in Saluki

#2208 Post by tronkel »

Haven't been able to get CUPS printing to work in Saluki
In the default CUPS 1.3.11 version, there was no access to the CUPS interface at localhost:631. The interface was visible but was inactive.

I then downloaded and compiled the latest stable CUPS 1.5.2 from their website. This compiled OK, but I get an "INTERNAL SERVER ERROR" if I try to access any tabs in the interface.

I used a standard cupsd.conf file as recommended for use in SLACKO. No joy though.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

peebee

Re: CUPS in Saluki

#2209 Post by peebee »

tronkel wrote:Haven't been able to get CUPS printing to work in Saluki
In the default CUPS 1.3.11 version, there was no access to the CUPS interface at localhost:631. The interface was visible but was inactive.
I've had the same problem but haven't reported it yet as I thought it might have been caused by something I'd added or tweaked in Saluki.....

CUPS does work OK on a new pristine install but then stops working for some reason.

I've loaded the Chrome 12 SFS - did wonder if that caused it but haven't had time to experiment - but now that there are 2 reports of the same problem....when the fault occurs its the same in both Midori and Chrome - the browser tries to access localhost:631 but just hangs with no response.

The problem manifested itself in both 016 and 017 at least....

Thanks
PeeBee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pemasu

#2210 Post by pemasu »

I did have google-chrome sfs which brake cups due to wrong permissions. Fixing the permissions and all was good. This was in dpup exprimo and I am not referring to Saluki Chrome sfs.
Just mentioning the possibility.

jemimah

#2211 Post by jemimah »

James C wrote:Guess I might as well report this problem. As was also happening in Exprimo and Wary, my installs of Saluki have no Wget and the inability to ping.Barry K discovered the solution here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 098#616098 so it should be in the next Woof commit.

Also, the PPM works but unable to download updated package lists.

# wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz 
--2012-04-01 02:00:32--  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
Resolving fpdownload.macromedia.com (fpdownload.macromedia.com)... failed: Temporary failure in name resolution.
wget: unable to resolve host address `fpdownload.macromedia.com'
# 
Add the magic "-4" and Wget and ping works.

# wget -4 http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
--2012-04-01 02:07:47--  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
Resolving fpdownload.macromedia.com (fpdownload.macromedia.com)... 184.87.2.70
Connecting to fpdownload.macromedia.com (fpdownload.macromedia.com)|184.87.2.70|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 6746733 (6.4M) [application/x-gzip]
Saving to: `install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz'

100%[======================================>] 6,746,733    159K/s   in 42s     

2012-04-01 02:08:29 (159 KB/s) - `install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz' saved [6746733/6746733]

# --2012-04-01 02:00:32--  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63
Ok, I will add it.

jemimah

#2212 Post by jemimah »

tronkel wrote:I've been trying out Saluki 017 yesterday.

Here's the story, first the problems.

Frisbee has never worked for me in other Puppy variants. In the case of Saluki, neither Frisbee, Barry's Simple Network Manager nor Network Manager would work. I had to therefore configure the rtl8192cu WLAN set-up manually using wpa_supplicant + DHCP from the command line. Works OK now.

Second problem was the ati fglrx module. The official pet package for this didn't work and neither was it possible to build the module as supplied from the AMD website - using kernel sources for k3.2.8 and the devx. I therefore decided to have a go with the Saluki Custom builder and installed the k3.1.10 PAE kernel sfs-module from Slacko along with the kernel sources pet. This was successful and the ATI fglrx built first time. From further research, this 3.2.8 kernel needs a patch so that the ati fglrx module can be compiled.

Third problem was the XFCE4 sound mixer. This mixer has a problem co-existing with ALSA. XFCE mixer and ALSA toggle each other's digital mixer channel (lol!) - hence no microphone in Skype. The fix was to install retrovol and to configure the xfce mixer panel applet to point to retrovol instead of to xfce-mixer. This is done by right-clicking the volume icon and accessing the properties menu.

The video and wlan problems as described above could well be show-stoppers for a noobie, so it it's worth looking into them.

The end result was good though. Looks good with Compiz running. Guake also worked straight out of the box. Really liked the Custom Builder. So I'll be exploring other customisation options further. Seems to be plenty of great extra software stuff available too.

I'll be using this distro on a daily basis and will be looking out for any updates.
If you go into Wireless Diagnostics in Frisbee and Generate Diagnostic Data and post the results, I may be able to find your Frisbee problem.

I'm going to pull the ati package from the repo. I think it was compiled on a slightly older revision of the kernel. Maybe someone will post a new ati pet.

jemimah

#2213 Post by jemimah »

HiDeHo wrote:Hi i found this post. relating to sakluki and asking what i already have here. why is there only one forum for sakuki. click here

Having one thread really does make it hard to find the information for each build. sometimes a build can go back as far as 10 or more pages. this is why generally most other puppy os have made a new forum page for each build of there os, and use the puppy linux wikka for the main page for there os with all the new updates etc there.

I am only mentioning this again because i saw someone else pose the same question.

I cant wait for the final 1.0 release of saluki and it to become a full recognised puplet.

My view is that saluki is a more full featured os than other puppyes, in respect to using a bigger xfce desktop but still being small and compact. great job.
Given how frequently I do releases and how much traffic there can be on this thread, I'm not certain having posts scattered all over the place is going to help. Having one thread makes it easier for me to stay on top of things.

I'm not sure about being a "recognized" puplet. That is for Barry to decide. I think Barry's opinion is going to be that Saluki is a fork.

jemimah

#2214 Post by jemimah »

pemasu wrote:I did have google-chrome sfs which brake cups due to wrong permissions. Fixing the permissions and all was good. This was in dpup exprimo and I am not referring to Saluki Chrome sfs.
Just mentioning the possibility.
What permissions did you fix?

pemasu

#2215 Post by pemasu »

The root folder and its subfolders were screwed in that google-chrome I used. I changed ownerships and permissions back to as they should be in puppies.

minesadorada

#2216 Post by minesadorada »

@pemasu - any chance you can make a bash script to fix the permissions? Installing Chrome seems to break CUPS in quite a few puppys.

thanks in advance

jemimah

#2217 Post by jemimah »

Despite my misgivings I have figured out how to mostly fix pwidgets.

Sidebars and xonclock are removed but I think most everything else works now.

This is using the newer conky with lua and imlib support so potentially much cooler widgets could be created.

pemasu

#2218 Post by pemasu »

I have repackaged the google-chrome.sfs so that the cups should not be so upset.
Give it a try and give feedback. I also fixed the missing menu icon... :D

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Saluki/Saluki-sfs/

About protecting cups files permissions and ownerships. Jpeps has created simple gui for it. It installs to the Filesystem in my dpup. I dont know if it will have menu entry in Saluki.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68790
Attachments
cups_filemanager.pet
(1.64 KiB) Downloaded 175 times

jemimah

#2219 Post by jemimah »

I've uploaded battleshooter's conkyswitcher to the repo.

The package includes the six themes that she built for it.

It should be pretty easy to make more themes.

DaveS

#2220 Post by DaveS »

Well I finally got my full install to work correctly. Upgrading via the Univ Installer SEEMED to work, ish, bt Midori was hopelessly unstable, seg faulting all over the place, so I did a clean install from the CD iso.
Thanks so much for the wallpaper guys.

Been using Puppy exclusively since 4.1, but this is the first time I have ever tried a full install. All works very nicely.

The launcher on the left is a second panel. This only loads correctly at boot up about 50% of the time. The other 50% it displays as a blank grey bar and I have to re-start X. This has been the same for all versions of Saluki. Maybe my hardware is not quite fast enough.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!