Icewm ultra - window manager

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
GuestToo
Puppy Master

#41 Post by GuestToo »

the reason i wrote my own icewmreboot and poweroff scripts was that Puppy's method of killing X was rather brutal ... however, Puppy has changed, and the scripts no longer work ... i did upload a dotpup package that updates the scripts
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7901

i should make an updated package ... i was waiting for Puppy 2.0.2, so the package would work properly ... the latest stable version of Icewm is 1.2.27

or maybe Mu's version is all that's needed?

WhoDo

#42 Post by WhoDo »

GuestToo wrote: i should make an updated package ... i was waiting for Puppy 2.0.2, so the package would work properly ... the latest stable version of Icewm is 1.2.27

or maybe Mu's version is all that's needed?
Mark's version works for me, but as long as you are considering updates what about a quick way to resize the taskbar?

I like to work at 1024x768 for my applications, but at that resolution the taskbar is very small for a blind old beggar like me. I can change menu text with various themes but haven't found a way to bump the width of the taskbar yet.

I absolutely love Puppy 2.02 and IceWM has quickly become my preferred environment. Thanks for all your efforts. They are much appreciated out here in userland.

Cheers

MU

#43 Post by MU »

WhoDo, I have the right thing for you:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=62412#62412

:D

Mark

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#44 Post by GuestToo »

i think the the height of Icewm's taskbar is set by the height of the start menu icon, which is usually icewm.xpm in /root/.icewm/taskbar/, though it might be in /usr somewhere ... though MU's xfce taskbar might be a great alternative

you might want to set the dpi in /root/.Xresources (a hidden file) ... maybe set it to something like 108, then restart X or reboot, something like this:

Xft.dpi: 108

you can also inrease the size of the fonts for qt apps in /root/.qt/qtrc

WhoDo

#45 Post by WhoDo »

MU wrote:WhoDo, I have the right thing for you:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=62412#62412

:D

Mark
Thanks, Mark. I have installed the xfce4 taskbar as an option. Like you I don't need 2 taskbars.

I'm a little put off that it doesn't have a menu launcher but apparently requires individual applications to be added to the bar. That could take an inordinate amount of time when I have a number of machines to prepare in a limited time (see below for explanation).

Cheers

Warren
Last edited by WhoDo on Sat 12 Aug 2006, 02:06, edited 1 time in total.

WhoDo

#46 Post by WhoDo »

GuestToo wrote:i think the the height of Icewm's taskbar is set by the height of the start menu icon, which is usually icewm.xpm in /root/.icewm/taskbar/, though it might be in /usr somewhere ... though MU's xfce taskbar might be a great alternative
I sought out the start menu icon for my Elberg theme, increased the size by 25% and restarted icewm. The new icon appeared but the taskbar remained the same size. It should have been 25% bigger, shouldn't it?

MU's xfce taskbar is very adjustable for both height and position, but doesn't have a consolidated menu launcher. Individual apps evidently have to be added to the bar for launching.

I can solve the problem by resetting the screen resolution to 800x600, but that kinda defeats the purpose of having as much application area available as possible.
GuestToo wrote: you might want to set the dpi in /root/.Xresources (a hidden file) ... maybe set it to something like 108, then restart X or reboot, something like this:

Xft.dpi: 108

you can also inrease the size of the fonts for qt apps in /root/.qt/qtrc
I also followed this advice and my menu fonts increased in size but the taskbar and icon stayed the same size. There has to be a setting for this somewhere, doesn't there?

I really appreciate the time and effort you guys are putting in to help me out with this.

I'm trying to configure old donated PC's for charity, and the users they will have are likely to require all the hand-holding they can get. The advice I've been getting here is invaluable to ensuring I hand over donated units that are immediately usable by my newbie clients. Some of them are old and "blind" like me, too, so trying for a bigger taskbar is really worth the effort.

Thanks again for everything, guys. I love Puppy. I love Icewm. And I love the great, friendly support from this forum.

Cheers,

Warren

jam

PowerOff/Reboot Issue

#47 Post by jam »

Mark & Stargazer:

Thanks for the follow-up on this issue! Plain forgot to check back on this thread, but I'm glad I did! I'll go ahead and follow your instructions to fix this problem and will get back to you with the results. From what WhoDo has posted, it appears to work, but I'll confirm the fix as well. By the way, will these script changes get incorporated into the next Puppy release (2.03 or ??) IceWM is my personal favorite due to its low resource overhead yet stylish themes.
Jam

MU

#48 Post by MU »

No, this icewm won't go into standard puppy.
It is leaving the concept of minimizing things as much as possible, instead it tries to mimic some features of big desktops like KDE or Gnome by keeping a reasonable, but not minimalistic size.

To alter the FONT and Taskbar-size:

create a new textfile
/root/.icewm/prefoverride

Code: Select all

# Font Specification
TitleFontNameXft		=	sans-serif:size=15:bold
MenuFontNameXft			=	sans-serif:size=15
MinimizedWindowFontNameXft	=	sans-serif:size=15
ActiveButtonFontNameXft		=	sans-serif:size=15
NormalButtonFontNameXft		=	sans-serif:size=15
ToolButtonFontNameXft		=	sans-serif:size=15
NormalWorkspaceFontNameXft	=	sans-serif:size=15
ActiveWorkspaceFontNameXft	=	sans-serif:size=15
QuickSwitchFontNameXft		=	sans-serif:size=15
ListBoxFontNameXft		=	sans-serif:size=15
StatusFontNameXft		=	sans-serif:size=15
ToolTipFontNameXft		=	sans-serif:size=15
ActiveTaskBarFontNameXft	=	sans-serif:size=15
NormalTaskBarFontNameXft	=	sans-serif:size=15
ClockFontNameXft		=	sans-serif:size=15
InputFontNameXft		=	sans-serif:size=15

MenuIconSize=32
SmallIconSize=32
LargeIconSize=32
HugeIconSize=48
Then restart or choose a new theme. This should give you very huge fonts.
Mark

WhoDo

Awesome!

#49 Post by WhoDo »

MU wrote: To alter the FONT and Taskbar-size:

create a new textfile
/root/.icewm/prefoverride

Code: Select all

# Font Specification
TitleFontNameXft		=	sans-serif:size=15:bold
MenuFontNameXft			=	sans-serif:size=15
MinimizedWindowFontNameXft	=	sans-serif:size=15
ActiveButtonFontNameXft		=	sans-serif:size=15
NormalButtonFontNameXft		=	sans-serif:size=15
ToolButtonFontNameXft		=	sans-serif:size=15
NormalWorkspaceFontNameXft	=	sans-serif:size=15
ActiveWorkspaceFontNameXft	=	sans-serif:size=15
QuickSwitchFontNameXft		=	sans-serif:size=15
ListBoxFontNameXft		=	sans-serif:size=15
StatusFontNameXft		=	sans-serif:size=15
ToolTipFontNameXft		=	sans-serif:size=15
ActiveTaskBarFontNameXft	=	sans-serif:size=15
NormalTaskBarFontNameXft	=	sans-serif:size=15
ClockFontNameXft		=	sans-serif:size=15
InputFontNameXft		=	sans-serif:size=15

MenuIconSize=32
SmallIconSize=32
LargeIconSize=32
HugeIconSize=48
Then restart or choose a new theme. This should give you very huge fonts.
Mark
Man, you've done it again! So easy, too!!

I now have a taskbar that even I can read with ease! That really sets us up for a happy relationship with Puppy and Icewm. Small enough to be fast and functional enough even for newbies! Well done, mate!
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
Updated screenshot with new settings in place - images edited for size, of course. Note new launch button.
(112.93 KiB) Downloaded 1918 times
Last edited by WhoDo on Tue 29 Aug 2006, 06:35, edited 1 time in total.

MU

#50 Post by MU »

wow, like it.
Can you please send me the backgroundpicture?
I will upload it on my server then.
MarkUlrich@gmx.de

Or attach it to a message, and delete it again hen I replied.
Mark

WhoDo

Nice background

#51 Post by WhoDo »

MU wrote:wow, like it.
Can you please send me the backgroundpicture?
I will upload it on my server then.
MarkUlrich@gmx.de

Or attach it to a message, and delete it again hen I replied.
Mark
No problem. I believe it's in the Public Domain. I got it from Webshots as a free download.

I have sent it to you via email, but here it is as an attachment in case anyone else likes it too.
[Note: Attachment deleted to save space. See MU's link below]
Last edited by WhoDo on Sun 13 Aug 2006, 02:15, edited 2 times in total.

MU

#52 Post by MU »

Thank you :)

Here it is, you can delete it now from the forummessage to save space for program-uplods, please.
http://dotpups.de/pics/backgrounds/spring_711.jpg

Mark

puppyfan12

Re: Yeehah! Puppy Lives!

#53 Post by puppyfan12 »

The same problem happened with me ( jwm2icewmmenu script making cpu go to 100% constantly and not doing anything) and that fix worked for me as well (editing menu preferences and putting 0 next to everything except jwm off...thanks for posting the solution in the forums whodo and for emailing it to him Mark)

Is there a reason it's doing this? I just downloaded the 3 most recent scripts at the top of this thread and it's still exhibiting the same behaviour WhoDo experienced (the fix he posted works though)

WhoDo wrote:
MU wrote:WhoDo, please send me your file /root/.jwmrc vial email at ----email removed----
Maybe there is an entry that confuses my converter.
Mark
Mark,

Problem solved. I went in to the edit menu-preferences option and turned everything except use jwm off. Then I ran your jwm2icewmmenu script again and voila! I now have menus.

BTW, thanks to Stargazer for the tip about Reboot and Poweroff, too! Those were the last of my remaining issues. My Puppy is now completely house trained and I am one happy pappy! Thanks again, guys. VERY much appreciated.

Cheers

Warren
*edit* At the time I overlooked the post about the edit menu-preferences option but that did fix the problem

jundis

#54 Post by jundis »

I've been using puppy for about 2 months now. I had 1.0.7 for Win98, and downloaded IceWM. I got 2.13, and downloaded IceWM. Today I got on the wiki and saw 2.14 is out, so I got it. I go to download IceWM... And the link is busted!!! Does anyone have a mirror? I just can't live with only a couple themes available.

MU

#55 Post by MU »

dotpups.de is down for some days.
Please use this mirror:
http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups/WindowManagers/

Mark

ecomoney

Icewm

#56 Post by ecomoney »

Icewm is great at the cafe to improve puppys looks, the only problem is people click on the "logout..." without the moving over the "|>". This puts it to puppy's BSOD (Black Screen of Death), and the pc doesnt shut down as expected, and wont start again on reboot without them having to type XWIN.

Would it be possible to make the IceWM Ultra package put up a menu after doing this with shutdown and restart as options? Thanx
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#57 Post by GuestToo »

actually, that is an interesting question ... see: http://www.icewm.org/FAQ/IceWM-FAQ-9.html#ss9.1

there are various options in the preferences configuration file:

# Show logout submenu
# ShowLogoutMenu=1 # 0/1

# Show logout submenu
# ShowLogoutSubMenu=1 # 0/1

# Confirm logout
# ConfirmLogout=1 # 0/1

# Command to start logout
# LogoutCommand=""

# Command to cancel logout
# LogoutCancelCommand=""

so it might be possible to configure some sort of workaround

for example, you might not show the logout menu at all, and prevent ctrl+alt+del from shutting down the machine, which will popup a window with buttons to Reboot, Shutdown, Restart, LockScreen instead

WhoDo

Re: Icewm

#58 Post by WhoDo »

ecomoney wrote:Icewm is great at the cafe to improve puppys looks, the only problem is people click on the "logout..." without the moving over the "|>". This puts it to puppy's BSOD (Black Screen of Death), and the pc doesnt shut down as expected, and wont start again on reboot without them having to type XWIN.

Would it be possible to make the IceWM Ultra package put up a menu after doing this with shutdown and restart as options? Thanx
This is fixed in Icewm 1.2.30, as will be in Puppy 2.15CE. Clicking on the Logout in the main menu list opens a confirmation dialogue warning about shuting down active programs and asks for a decision from the user.

Between that and G2's tweak to have CTRL+ALT+DEL bring up another dialogue with heaps of choices, it's pretty much covered now IMHO. Search the forum for G2's Icewm 1.2.30 upgrade and you should be laughing, mate!

Cheers

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#59 Post by GuestToo »

you can disable "Logout" in the Logout menu by editing /root/.icewm/preferences (or the file might be in /usr somewhere) and changing this:

# LogoutCommand=""

to this:

LogoutCommand="true"

notice the # at the beginning of the line was deleted ... true is just a program that does not do very much ... this will disable "Logout" so that it does nothing when it is clicked

if you want to pop up a menu when "Logout" is clicked, you could do that ... for example, you could write a simple script called, for example, logoutmenu, and put it somewhere appropriate, for example, /usr/X11R7/bin/, and edit preferences so that the line looks something like this:

LogoutCommand="logoutmenu"

the logoutmenu script might look like this:

#!/bin/sh
gxmessage -center -buttons "Shutdown,Restart,Cancel" " Logout "
case $? in
101) exec wmpoweroff ;;
102) exec wmreboot ;;
esac

or you could disable "Logout" and disable ctrl+alt+backspace and ctrl+alt+del, which would pop up a shutdown window if ctrl+alt+del is pressed

or you could remove the Logout menu and disable ctrl+alt+backspace and ctrl+alt+del

to disable ctrl+alt+del, put this line in Section "ServerFlags" of xorg.conf (it won't work with xvesa)

Option "DontZap" "true"

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#60 Post by GuestToo »

and i must make an Icewm 1.2.30 package