a REAL install onboard

Booting, installing, newbie
Varmint

a REAL install onboard

#1 Post by Varmint »

Ok, I've tried the XO Pup, and it works nice from usb. What I really wanted, though, was to INSTALL this to the onboard flash drive with something like the universal installer, or another tool, not just run it from usb stick. Did I miss something somewhere, or is there just no way to erase that infernal built-in os and replace it with puppy on the nand drive?

That said, everything seems to work real nice on mine, once I figured out how to disable security. I guess I'll also need to access bios to get to the drive, as it doesn't show up in puppy yet.

Good work, gang!
darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

what hardware are you using?
Varmint

install in place of Sugar OS

#3 Post by Varmint »

I'm using an OLPC netbook, which boots to an "ok" prompt with this info: OLPC C2, 256MiB memory installed, S?N CSN7480xxxx
OpenFirmware CL1 Q2E41 Q2E

There is no further info available. I believe this is the early version. When booting it tells me I need to upgrade to the newer firmware, which I haven't done.

Thanks for your response.
darkcity

#4 Post by darkcity »

unfortunately I don't know much about your hardware, maybe this thread can help, or you could ask there?

XO-pup thread
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60155
Varmint

Full install

#5 Post by Varmint »

darkcity wrote, in part:
"unfortunately I don't know much about your hardware, maybe this thread can help, or you could ask there?"

My reply:
I'll go ahead and ask there. The reason I posted a separate topic was they don't address this issue. All of the info I found on the thread was for usb-stick installations. Can't hurt to ask them, though! Thanks for your time.
Varmint

Installing to nand drive-SOLVED

#6 Post by Varmint »

Well, I checked the link provided and found I can put puppy on an SD card and leave it in place. This isn't an install to the original nand drive, but at least I don't have to put a USB stick in there or carry one around to use it, which is almost as good. I may even restore the OS I wiped from the on-board nand drive (whoops) while attempting to install pup to that. That way it can still be used in it's originally intended form, should that be necessary.

Thanks for your input and help, gang!
darkcity

#7 Post by darkcity »

Glad you found a solution ; -)