How-to: Flash / USB / HD booting

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
PakRat

How-to: Flash / USB / HD booting

#1 Post by PakRat »

Hi all, by the request of 'Flash0' I'll try and help anyone with syslinux problems.
I've found , by trial and error, that if you are using windows and are just using the dos command window within windows you need to use the following files and commands to install puppy on a Flash / USB / or even Hard Drive for automatic booting... without lilo or grub or any other boot loader. I know, this is a day late and several dollars short, with version 1.0.2 comming out this week but here goes anyway..

Fat32 file systems....
1st files
from within the windows enviroment using another dos prompt window..
a> puppy files: vmlinuz , image.gz , (and 'usr_cram' , dependent on the version)
b> syslinux files: syslinux.exe , syslinux.c , makefile

Load all of the above files onto the target drive........in this example the target drive is e:

2nd commands :
from the dos prompt within the window
a> lock e:
b> syslinux e:
c> unlock e:

{Substitute e: for your dirve of choice}

I've placed the zipped files here : http://www.iianet.net/downloads/syslinuxexe.zip for your convenience. (28,425 bites)

Make sure your system will boot from the target drive, e.g. USB , Flash , etc.. by the settings in your BIOS ,, in the Setup section... Sometimes a Flash or USB will boot with the SCSI settings.. Your system, you check it out..

Non window installation. Boot a windows system by pressing the F8 key after the ram test , but, before the windows logo appears for a boot menu option. You must already have the below files on the target drive, and be able to access the drive from dos to execute the below commands.

a> puppy files: vmlinuz , image.gz , (and 'usr_cram' , dependent on the version)
b> syslinux files: syslinux.com , syslinux.cfg , syslinux , (optional) syslinux.doc

Load all of the above files onto the target drive first........in this example the target drive is e:

2nd commands :
from the dos prompt within the window
a> lock e:
b> syslinux e:
c> unlock e:

{Substitute e: for your dirve of choice}

I've placed the zipped files here : http://www.iianet.net/downloads/syslinuxcom.zip for your convenience. (26,049 bites)

These files and this method has worked for me using many variances of devices and computers. I do hope it works for you as well. :D enjoy..
There are no luggage racks on a Hearse!

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#2 Post by nduanetesh »

This is a great little write-up on some very handy info that should help a lot of people. I know that I, for one, will definately be revisiting this page for future reference. Thanks very much for posting!

ND

PakRat

Suprised at the quantity already checking out my scribling..

#3 Post by PakRat »

ndaunetesh..,
Whow, what a big head you'll give me with such praise..

Thank you for your comment.. I'll try and outdo myself on the next goaround.. There are more visiting this forum than I thought..
Later.. bd
There are no luggage racks on a Hearse!

#4 Post by Guest »

Hi.

I recently tried puppy on a flash drive and could not get it
to work properly. It boots fine from CD, though. I have been
doing the automatic and manual install without succes. A little
search on Google showed that this problem had been seen
before and it turns out to be related to syslinux. Using an
older version (2.10) fixed the problem and puppy comes out
alive and kicking. Good work.

Pradip

#5 Post by Pradip »

Hi PakRat

I hv tried ur steps to boot from USB zip drive. But Its not working for me.
I hv done all ur steps through WIN2K, filesystem of Zip drive is FAT32 and in BIOS setup, I put first boot device as "USB-ZIP".

waiting for reply..

ashwini

USB Boot Problem

#6 Post by ashwini »

Hello,

I am facing the problem with booting with PUPPY on USB Pen drive.

My first procedure is:

I am using Puppy linux Linux 2.4.29 [i686 arch].

I have used the Options as follows:

Puppy Start --> Setup --> Puppy Universal Installer

My pendrive company is "pqi". It is 512 MB Pen drive.
I have selected USB-ZIP option as First boot device.

Though installation is finished successfully, I am not able to boot from my Pen drive. System goes for next BOOT option.

My Second procedure is:

I have installed Puppy Linux on 512MB DOM. Then I have done the following commands:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda bs=1024

After performing this command I have removed DOM and Tried to boot along with Pen Drive.

This time the system is booted but... The most PANIC message has occured..

KERNEL PANIC: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01

My THIRD procedure is:

I have booted the Puppy system and attached the same pen drive.

mkdir -p /mnt/sda1
mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

copy over all files from / to your USB disk
cd /
tar --exclude=mnt --exclude=proc -c * | (cd /mnt/sda1; tar -xv)

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda bs=446 count=1

Still No Output It is showing the same

KERNEL PANIC: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01

Can anybody suggest me the way out of this....
:?:

Ashwini.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Apparently Pakrat is no longer with us. :(

I've never tried booting from a USB drive. About all I can suggest is that Pakrat's instructions were for an older version of Puppy.

Of course, if your BIOS can't boot from USB then you'll have to have a boot floppy or CD.

Another option, if your computer has a DVD burner, is to use multisession Puppy.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

ashwini

Puppy booting from USB stick: grub parameters problem

#8 Post by ashwini »

Hello all,

Here is my /boot/grub/menu.lst contents:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# GRUB configuration file '/boot/grub/menu.lst'.
# generated by 'grubconfig'. Sat Feb 18 10:37:58 2006
#
# The backup copy of the MBR for drive '/dev/hda' is
# here '/boot/grub/mbr.hda.2025'. You can restore it like this.
# dd if=/boot/grub/mbr.hda.2025 of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
#
# Start GRUB global section
timeout 3
color light-gray/blue black/light-gray
# End GRUB global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
title Linux (on /dev/hda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 acpi=off ro vga=3
# Linux bootable partition config ends

title Install GRUB to floppy disk (on /dev/fd0)
pause Insert a formatted floppy disk and press enter.
root (hd0,0)
setup (fd0)
pause Press enter to continue.
title Install GRUB to Linux partition (on /dev/hda1)
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0,0)
pause Press enter to continue.
title - For help press 'c', then type: 'help'
root (hd0)
title - For usage examples, type: 'cat /boot/grub/usage.txt'
root (hd0)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now My Problem is that:

# Linux bootable partition config begins
title Linux (on /dev/sda1)
root (hd0,0) <----------------- What parameters to specify here for USB Stick ???
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 acpi=off ro vga=3
# Linux bootable partition config ends

I required it very urgently....

Ashwini

PaulBx1

#9 Post by PaulBx1 »

My pendrive company is "pqi". It is 512 MB Pen drive.
Ashwini, I have just tried to get my system (Thinkpad A21m) to boot using a floppy and a 1GB PQI "Intelligent Stick". It did not work; apparently usbaspi.sys simply could not find it (always got the message, "Target USB device not found." I tried a lot of things to get that working, but no luck. I know the procedure is all right because I have a SanDisk micro cruzer which although too small to be really usable (256MB) I can boot from. Looks like PQI is out.

Sorry, can't help you with the grub questions or the rest of it.

ashwini

USB Stick booted sucessfully....

#10 Post by ashwini »

PaulBx1

We had downloaded DSL. Installed it on Flash drive ... IT WORKED VERY FINE.. :D Then we had taken MBR of this DSL & later installed puppy linux without overwriting MBR. 8)

Now my both Pendrives are booting fine... I.e pqi & JetFlash... :)

But KingStone is not booting from the same.... :shock: :o

adakadavule

Does this help??

#11 Post by adakadavule »

Thought i wont see another Indian here.Well i may be late.But i often found syslinux to be very useful for usb booting.Goto http://www.syslinux.org .get the latest syslinux.zip,unzip it n copy it to the desktop or the usb drive(assuming you have already copied all the requisite files as found in the live cd iso).Now rename isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg and open it in notepad.change to pmedia=usbflash .save the file.Then fire up command prompt by running cmd .cd to the folder where you have stored syslinux. cd /syslinux/win32 .then syslinux X: (where x is the drive letter of your drive letter as identified by windows.).Thats it.Now reboot and select the appropriate option at boot.For kingston i have seen the usbhhd option to work.Good luck n happy puppying.Temme how it went.

note:
1.I assume you are running on windows(that will change soon)
2.Be careful to use caps fr the drive letter.I have found it to fail otherwise(assuming u don't have strange labels)

ozpup

just worked it out myself

#12 Post by ozpup »

hi all, my first post , and first boot convert from dsl, i goota say i love the colour and cheese :p

so i got it to work this way too from usb, just opened the .iso download, copy all files to root of usb, rename isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg.

i had to change one parameter inside:

PMEDIA=usbstorage

this was idecd, and usbhd work for me too... and i was just typing them them at the boot prompt but thanks to "adakadavule" for pointing out it's setting in the syslinux.cfg file :)

then also if you havent allready, run syslinux on your drive from dos box or safe mode, just look that it creates a "ldlinux.sys" file in the usb root, which may be hidden to see if it worked...

Mic67

#13 Post by Mic67 »

http://www.althack.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=27
How to Run Linux on a USB Drive
Device Hacks - USB Device Hacks

"We successfully installed a distribution of Damn Small Linux on a Lexar 512mb Secure Disk USB 2.0 Jump Drive and it worked quickly and flawlessly. There's no guarantee that every USB Drive will boot Linux using this method (for example, the new Imation 256mb Wristband Drives would not work properly), but we feel a vast majority will work fine. "

There seems to be some alternate suggestions by those who made comments.

PaulBx1

#14 Post by PaulBx1 »

One possible difficulty in trying to get USB flash booting:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13267

That is, the device names can be scrambled by physically moving the devices around (for example, trying one flash drive, then another, etc). The work around is to boot your system with the drives plugged in, then leave them where they are until you shut down again.

I ran into this snag while running the Universal Installer.

georges

make a USB boot from a working USB flash

#15 Post by georges »

Hi Guys
working with Puppy is really nice !!
I just want to make another booting flash stick from a working one !
This is , I'm configuring and adding software to my USB flash stick and saving the whole in pup_save.3fs ! Everything works fine when rebooting with the same stick , but when I want to make a duplicate of this stick (Menu/setup/Puppy universal installer) I got a newer installation on the newer stick (sdb1) and not the one I've saved !
Is there an option to do this without burning a CD with the newer installation and for every change to make a new CD ?
I have many computers ( a class for childrens) and I want to prepare a stick for each computer in the class .
Thanks in advance
Georges

lefty01

#16 Post by lefty01 »

try the dd copy command. it should make an exact copy of the original flash. Remember to check the boot flag with fdisk.

georges

dd

#17 Post by georges »

Thanks , I tryed it and it worked fine !