Anyone Tried nfs with Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
drewmeister

Anyone Tried nfs with Puppy?

#1 Post by drewmeister »

Just hoping to get lucky. :) OR, is anyone interested in looking into it?

cplater

#2 Post by cplater »

I'm trying to get a Puppy thin client to use nfs to get to directories on my Slackware linux box. I think the Slackware is now configured ok but so far no luck yet mounting it on the puppy side. I'm sure it can be done and I'll keep playing with it til I get it working.

sunburnt

#3 Post by sunburnt »

There's a DotPup or a PupGet package of it (I think).

Otherwise... I've had good luck mounting Samba shares in LanPuppy, I used Samba so Win. PCs would work also.
MU has the Samba server package at his site, Puppy already has a Samba client app. LinNeighborhood.

cplater; You might try out LanPuppy, it's in the Announcements forum.

drewmeister

#4 Post by drewmeister »

cplater wrote:I'm trying to get a Puppy thin client to use nfs to get to directories on my Slackware linux box. I think the Slackware is now configured ok but so far no luck yet mounting it on the puppy side. I'm sure it can be done and I'll keep playing with it til I get it working.
Cplater, I'm in the same spot, SuSE 9.2 is easy to configure, getting Puppy to mount it is the hold-up. I'll also keep working on it, but for now I have to file my income tax return. :) Please, keep us informed if you make progress.

cplater

#5 Post by cplater »

No progress yet but I spent my free time upgrading the thin client's CF to 2.02 and reinstalling wifi. I will look at it again tonight after work. I did look at the LAN Puppy and it looks good but not quite what I need for now. I need the workstation to stay Slackware for code development reasons. I know the Samba stuff works but I need to make the application I'm developing work with NFS too. The plan is to use Devon IT thin clients loaded and ready to plug in to a network or be stand alone using USB storage.

cplater

Success!

#6 Post by cplater »

I got it working. :D Once I got my wifi working as I wanted and had time to look for the right information, it turned out to be quite simple in Puppy 2.02.

# Make a mount point
mkdir /mnt/nfs

# Next make sure nfs is loaded
modprobe nfs

# Now mount it.
mount -t nfs 192.168.10.181:/home/puppyshare /mnt/nfs
# /home/puppyshare is the share directory on my Slackware system

It took a bit of time to establish the connection. I wasn't sure it worked as the prompt didn't return and went to the room with the server to see if there were any info in nfsstat. Seeing rpc stats and no bad calls I went back to the puppy box and it was connected. A few tweaks on the server side permissions and adding a name to /etc/hosts for the server will make it all good.

drewmeister

#7 Post by drewmeister »

Alright cplater! Meant to get back sooner, the heat got to me I guess.

I am booting from a multi-session DVD on a computer with no HD, has only DVD-RW, floppy, and a multi-card-reader. In order not to have to manually run those commands every (re)boot I put the following

in /etc/fstab:
max:/pupshr /mnt/pupshr nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,intr

in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
[ ! -d /mnt/pupshr ] && mkdir /mnt/pupshr
mount /mnt/pupshr # this stopped working, but it does not seem to harm

Puppy 2.0.1 does not save files in /mnt, and the rc.local entry avoids having to make it every boot. When the mount began failing (I tried *many* things while playing with nfs in general, no telling what I did to break it; it may come back) it's a simple "mount /mnt/pupshr" and wait a minutte or two. On the server I added "rw,no_squash_root,bg" to the exported dir(s) in /etc/exports.

All that speeds up getting the computer ready to work on after the boot.

cplater

#8 Post by cplater »

You might want to check to see if the module is loaded with lsmod. It does not persist through a reboot like the /mnt directory. I've scripted my setup too but not as part of rc.local except for the modprobe nfs. No failures so far.

C. Plater

drewmeister

#9 Post by drewmeister »

Where did you put the scripted mkdir & mount?

Related matter: My puppy 2.xx does not execute ~/.bashrc, while all the Puppy 1.xxs I used did call it (when starting a console for example). I love to use aterm, configured with a script or an alias, and I am now in the habit of typing ". .bashrc" first thing after starting aterm, or console for that matter.

cplater

#10 Post by cplater »

I just keep the script in the my-applications directory. I'm playing around with things and it is easier find and edit when I want to make changes. Most likely when finalized it will end up in /usr/local/bin or something similar. Not sure what is going on with the .bashrc thing. I'm using tcl/tk for the scripting language as that's what my application is written in so it is not an issue. I'll poke around and see what I can find out about it.

C. Plater

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#11 Post by GuestToo »

when bash starts as "bash", it executes the commands in ~/.bashrc

when bash starts as "sh", it executes the commands in the file pointed to by the env variable ENV ... if ENV is not set, no init file will be run ... for example, you could put

export ENV=/root/.bashrc

in /etc/profile.local (or /etc/profile), and .bashrc will execute whether you start bash or sh ... that might be a good thing, or it might cause trouble sometimes

you can set whether you use sh or bash by default when an aterm/rxvt/console/terminal window opens by putting

export SHELL=/bin/bash

in /etc/profile.local

if you execute a script by typing

sh myscript.sh
or
bash myscript.sh

it also behaves differently ... bash executes .bashrc, sh does not (it executes the file that ENV points to, if it does)

the rc files that execute under different circumstances can be a bit complex ... i think most distros just put everything in one file, and setup the other files to source the one file

you can see what is happening by putting echo statements in the files, for example:

echo $0 'is executing'

drewmeister

#12 Post by drewmeister »

Thanks, GuestToo! I'll implement it tonight.