Lupu-528 Booting questions

Booting, installing, newbie
ntzrmtthihu777

Lupu-528 Booting questions

#1 Post by ntzrmtthihu777 »

Hello all!

I am a new linux/puppy/ubuntu user, currently running Precise/Lupu/BT5 triple boot, and am looking to optimize puppy boot time. Currently I have puppy fully installed on partition of my laptop's second hard-drive (a no-no, I know XD) and am looking to boot it directly from the .iso file via the method here (10.04 boots real fast this way)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1549847
but it won't work right out of the box, Which got me thinking 'maybe this isn't the most ideal way to do this.'

Main reason I got puppy was to have a backup os I could boot and use to fix my primary os (had to do it once already, broke my sudoers file), so I'm wondering which method works best/fastest:
1. A full install to a small partition
2. Frugal install into Ubuntu 12.04
3. Boot from flash stick
4. Boot directly from iso as mentioned above (plus helping me to boot this
way)

Any help would be appreciated.
dk60902

Re: Lupu-528 Booting questions

#2 Post by dk60902 »

ntzrmtthihu777 wrote:Hello all!

I am a new linux/puppy/ubuntu user, currently running Precise/Lupu/BT5 triple boot, and am looking to optimize puppy boot time. Currently I have puppy fully installed on partition of my laptop's second hard-drive (a no-no, I know XD) and am looking to boot it directly from the .iso file via the method here (10.04 boots real fast this way)
but it won't work right out of the box, Which got me thinking 'maybe this isn't the most ideal way to do this.'

Main reason I got puppy was to have a backup os I could boot and use to fix my primary os (had to do it once already, broke my sudoers file), so I'm wondering which method works best/fastest:
1. A full install to a small partition
2. Frugal install into Ubuntu 12.04
3. Boot from flash stick
4. Boot directly from iso as mentioned above (plus helping me to boot this
way)

Any help would be appreciated.
I am not certain, perhaps a more experienced puppy user can correct me, but I think I remember reading somewhere that a full install boots up faster than a frugal. Maybe choice #1 may be the fastest.

My experience is with frugal installs. I think it is the best way to install puppy as long as there is enough RAM. Using Slacko 533, from the time I click puppy on the grub menu page, it is about 13 seconds until the puppy screen appears. This is with an older Dell Vostro 220 desktop with a pentium dual core E2140, 4 GB RAM, and an 80 GB 7200 SATA drive.
rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

ntzrmtthihu777 wrote: am looking to boot it directly from the .iso file via the method here (10.04 boots real fast this way)
but it won't work right out of the box
Puppy can't be booted this way.
ntzrmtthihu777

#4 Post by ntzrmtthihu777 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
ntzrmtthihu777 wrote: am looking to boot it directly from the .iso file via the method here (10.04 boots real fast this way)
but it won't work right out of the box
Puppy can't be booted this way.
frak, I was afraid of that. Thanks anyway.
bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

Flash drive install slowest.
Hard drive frugal or full install.
Full install to hard drive partition is fastest boot. That is if about 5 sec. difference is that big a deal to you.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)
ntzrmtthihu777

#6 Post by ntzrmtthihu777 »

bigpup wrote:Flash drive install slowest.
Hard drive frugal or full install.
Full install to hard drive partition is fastest boot. That is if about 5 sec. difference is that big a deal to you.
Well, like I said, I mainly use puppy as a rescue os, so the faster I can boot, fix the problem, reboot, continue using primary os the better. Thanks
ICPUG

#7 Post by ICPUG »

If it's going to be used as a rescue OS then it shouldn't really be installed on the hard drive as the hard drive (or its boot mechanism) may have got frazzled.

If you install on a flash drive then the machine that is being rescued needs to have the capability of booting from flash.

The most usable system would have to be the Live CD and don't install at all. It's slower to boot but how often do you need to be rescued??

If by rescue you mean recovery from regular actions of another operating system then perhaps it is different. I use Puppy this way to clear out bumf collected during the operation of Windows. I use a frugal install for this but boot time differences between frugal and full install doesn't come into it for me. Frugal is simple and much quicker than Windows anyway.
Burn_IT

#8 Post by Burn_IT »

I keep my rescue Puppy on a USB powered 1.5" hard disk - along with all my other useful stuff. But I carry an old single diskette case with both a boot floppy and a mini CD with Puppy etc on it, just in case the other boots are needed.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett
ntzrmtthihu777

#9 Post by ntzrmtthihu777 »

ICPUG wrote:If it's going to be used as a rescue OS then it shouldn't really be installed on the hard drive as the hard drive (or its boot mechanism) may have got frazzled.

If you install on a flash drive then the machine that is being rescued needs to have the capability of booting from flash.

The most usable system would have to be the Live CD and don't install at all. It's slower to boot but how often do you need to be rescued??

If by rescue you mean recovery from regular actions of another operating system then perhaps it is different. I use Puppy this way to clear out bumf collected during the operation of Windows. I use a frugal install for this but boot time differences between frugal and full install doesn't come into it for me. Frugal is simple and much quicker than Windows anyway.
Perhaps 'rescue' is too strong of a word. As I said I'm a total noob and as such am taking it slow. I'm not screwing around with stuff that could really screw me over; I don't do anything I don't know how to undo through Puppy, mainly adding a line or two here and there, so all I have to do is boot puppy and delete the offending lines.
ntzrmtthihu777

#10 Post by ntzrmtthihu777 »

ntzrmtthihu777 wrote:
ICPUG wrote:If it's going to be used as a rescue OS then it shouldn't really be installed on the hard drive as the hard drive (or its boot mechanism) may have got frazzled.

Perhaps 'rescue' is too strong of a word. As I said I'm a total noob and as such am taking it slow. I'm not screwing around with stuff that could really screw me over; I don't do anything I don't know how to undo through Puppy, mainly adding a line or two here and there, so all I have to do is boot puppy and delete the offending lines.
I have puppy on disk, but my HP dv9000 has no optical drive (I know I can use Unetbootin or the Puppu Universal Installer to create a bootable usb, But I don't have a stick I can dedicate to this just yet. Living on a budget as I live in a homeless shelter XD)