Pup Save File?

Booting, installing, newbie
laserdood

Pup Save File?

#1 Post by laserdood »

what really goes into pup_save.2fs files, is it just a few settings, or pointers to programs to load on boot, or is it really saving the whole applications kinda like OLE object type variables would do in VB?

In other words...does it need to be 3 Gb large, or small is fine like 512k?

Thanks,

Laserdood

8)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

If you intend to load no or very few extra pets or SFS then small is fine.

I always choose 4GB
I could probably get away with 2GB
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

sfeeley

#3 Post by sfeeley »

I usually go with the recommended 512. I keep my documents/music files/etc in a different folder at mnt/home and have never had any problems.

BTW it is easy to make your save file bigger, but hard to make a big one smaller. So start small and go from there.

laserdood

thanks

#4 Post by laserdood »

Thanks - I was just curious because I started mine at 512k and then I started adding dozens of PETS and SFS files so I resized it to 1 GB, then 2Gb, now 2.5Gb - but now during sessions when it saves the pup_save.sfs from RAM in the background, whatever I'm working on sort of suspends until the whole process of saving is complete...and it takes a few minutes to save 2.5GB on my system anyway.

Thanks for your feedback

Best,

John :twisted:

Dewbie

#5 Post by Dewbie »

Lobster wrote:
If you intend to load no or very few extra pets or SFS then small is fine.
Doesn't an .sfs file run outside of a save file but act as though it's inside of one?

laserdood

pup_save.sfs

#6 Post by laserdood »

I don't know, that was kind of what I was asking you guys. Does the OS encapsulate the .SFS and save it to the settings save file, or does it just save a pointer to the programs but they actually exist outside of the save file? I have no idea, I'm still reading to try and find out. I suspect based on my next paragraph you'll see that the sfs files are saved internally in the pup_save files...but that's a guess...

Nevertheless...I have my only Puppy OS bone to pick now...i'm sad to say this is not good. I timed the saving of pup_save.2fs during my session ("Saving RAM to pup_save.2fs...") in the background - where most things I'm doing become temporarily frozen or suspended except micro-memory tasks like editing this text file, but Firefox is frozen, I can't even open a console, and all tasks seem to be added to a queue and executed at next available interrupt in the pup_save process - so whenever this saving happens I can't really do anything else until it finishes.

IT TOOK 15 WHOLE MINUTES TO COMPLETE!! DUDE, that's not good. Don't get me wrong - I like Puppy, except for this. This means every hour I have to take a 15 minute break and just wait until the process is done...not very efficient.

Can someone tell me what parameters control the background pup_save.sfs process, like is there something I can modify to either disable this altogether, or at least chajnge the period from what seems to be once/hour to something longer? Is this part of the kernel, or is there some settings file that dictates this process?

Thanks,

Laserdood 8)

jpeps

#7 Post by jpeps »

The sfs files load into loops. You're probably saving the sfs file itself. If it's in /mnt/home, it won't be included in the save file.

Dewbie

#8 Post by Dewbie »

laserdood wrote:
so whenever this saving happens I can't really do anything else until it finishes.

Sounds like your save file is on USB flash drive. :)
is there something I can modify

Menu / System / Puppy Event Manager
Click on Save Session tab to adjust settings.

jpeps

#9 Post by jpeps »

Dewbie wrote: Sounds like your save file is on USB flash drive. :)
Of course, but that wouldn't effect its size or what gets saved. When it's in periodic save mode, you want to keep it as small as possible.

Dewbie

#10 Post by Dewbie »

jpeps wrote:
Of course, but that wouldn't effect its size or what gets saved. When it's in periodic save mode, you want to keep it as small as possible.

I wasn't referring to size.

If the save file is set up on a flash drive, it's periodically flushed from RAM to flash (assuming enough RAM is available), so that flash doesn't get worn out from constant writing.

This process causes the freezing, and it doesn't happen if the save file is on a hard drive.

sfeeley

#11 Post by sfeeley »

I'm posting from a phone and can't search now. But there is a way to disable the autosaving on USB sticks. There hVe been several threads

`f00

#12 Post by `f00 »

laserdood's savefile

Keep your savefile slim and healthy is one, another would be PupsaveConfig-2.2.4, shinobar's tool enables the save/nosave option at closing time (with default nosave at a time limit if things go wrong, iirc)

Lots of scattered info on save/nosave, basically for now just set the interval to 0 in pupevent (and maybe re-X) so it doesn't hang you up with thumb-twiddling during a session

hth

Sylvander

#13 Post by Sylvander »

laserdood

excellent info thank you

#14 Post by laserdood »

thanks guys :!:

laserdood

eaxctly

#15 Post by laserdood »

yeah everything I have related to my Puppy OS is on my flash drive. i wanted to be completely portable from machine to machine, and also for when I get to the moon and they have workstations there running gag me MS Windows which is satanic and evil :twisted:

8)

laserdood

f00 and sylvander

#16 Post by laserdood »

thanks fellas that will work for me on this issue.

much appreciated :!:

8)

jpeps

#17 Post by jpeps »

`f00 wrote:laserdood's savefile

Keep your savefile slim and healthy is one
gdmap is excellent !!