Wary 5.3: PMusic ist not working [solved]

Using applications, configuring, problems
wingevil

Wary 5.3: PMusic ist not working [solved]

#1 Post by wingevil »

After booting Wary 5.3 from the Live-CD, Pmusic can't be use the radio stations. the message "connecting..." appears but nothing happened!

When I start Pmusic from urxvt, the I see there the message

Code: Select all

aplay: playback:2297: read error
the same happenend after a fresh full install on hd with Wary 5.3

The dependency check shows for the item ffmpeg a [??] instead of [OK]

tested on two different boxes, same results.

???

Any hint what to do?

Thanks in advance

Michael
Last edited by wingevil on Sat 21 Jul 2012, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
zigbert

#2 Post by zigbert »

the [??] means most often that your ffmpeg is compiled from svn and are not one of the official releases. ffmpeg -version will tell you exactly the date of the build. I don't remember, but I guess 5.3 should be good...

When it comes to radio-streaming, it depends on a valid URL. The radio index are auto-generated and it happens that URLs are dead. Also ffmpeg isn't the best choice for radio-streaming. That is why Pmusic prefers streamripper if installed. (is it?). Streamripper will support much more radio-stations and provide track-info for playing song if available. Also, it offers the choice of advanced recording of stations - splitting tracks into files with correct naming and tagging. More in the FAQ

Sigmund
wingevil

#3 Post by wingevil »

zigbert wrote:the [??] means most often that your ffmpeg is compiled from svn and are not one of the official releases. ffmpeg -version will tell you exactly the date of the build. I don't remember, but I guess 5.3 should be good...
it is what is in wary 5.3 delivered:

ffmpeg version git-2011-10-01-78f08c0
zigbert wrote: When it comes to radio-streaming, it depends on a valid URL. The radio index are auto-generated and it happens that URLs are dead. Also ffmpeg isn't the best choice for radio-streaming.
the streams are very common and work on a slacko-install very well

zigbert wrote: That is why Pmusic prefers streamripper if installed. (is it?). Streamripper will support much more radio-stations and provide track-info for playing song if available. Also, it offers the choice of advanced recording of stations - splitting tracks into files with correct naming and tagging. More in the FAQ
streamripper is NOT installed but in my opiniion PMusic should work "out of the Box", if it is delivered on the ISO...

Remember what I worte:

a) After booting from the Live-CD
b) the same happened after a fresh full install og Wry 5.3

Anyway: thanks for your support. :)
zigbert

#4 Post by zigbert »

streamripper is NOT installed but in my opiniion PMusic should work "out of the Box", if it is delivered on the ISO...
I am not the one to decide what's in the iso, and what is not...

Sigmund
wingevil

#5 Post by wingevil »

maybe I'm boring but let me ask one more time.

What I've done on two different boxes:

I installed Racy (and/or Wary) fresh "full" on HD (and/or as a frugal install)
I installed streamripper
I installed PMusic 2.6.3

But Pmusic won't play any radio stations. Only the message 'connecting' appears but nothing happened. :cry: Playing of MP3 works well.

On the same two boxes I installed slacko and Pmusic works perfect, including all radio stations.

How can I identify and eliminate the reason for this error?

Thanks in advance :wink:
npierce

#6 Post by npierce »

wingevil,

Please post the results of these two commands:

ffmpeg -version 2>&1 | grep -E "built|ffmpeg"
ffmpeg -version 2>&1 | grep -o "disable-network"
If the second command reports "disable-network", then you have a build of ffmpeg that cannot handle a URL. If so, try installing this pet:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... -1-w5c.pet

Since you have installed streamripper, I would think that streamripper would handle the URLs, so I would think you wouldn't need URL support in ffmpeg, but I don't know much about pmusic. Without streamripper, you would definitely need URL support in ffmpeg.

As zigbert said, "ffmpeg isn't the best choice for radio-streaming." Many of the URLs in /root/.pmusic/index_radio will not work with ffmpeg. For instance,

Music-sources -> Radio -> Genre -> Rock-Classic -> Beatles Radio

provides this URL: http://www.beatlesradio.com:8088/listen.pls
which gives this error from ffmpeg: Invalid data found when processing input.

But this URL: http://www.beatlesradio.com:8088/ works fine as an input to ffmpeg (and therefore pmusic using ffmpeg). I don't know about streamripper, but mplayer will work with either.

For testing purposes, here is one from the list that is known to work with ffmpeg:

Music-sources -> Radio -> Genre -> Classical -> WKSU 3 89.7 FM Kent, OH (MP3 128k)

(Its URL: http://66.225.205.8:8030)

Good luck.
wingevil

#7 Post by wingevil »

Hi npierce,

you're my hero, because you hit the bull's eye!!!! :D :D :D

After installing the recommended version of ffmpeg, pmusic now playing my radio-stations.

Thank you very much again. :D

Greetz Michael
npierce

#8 Post by npierce »

Yay! :) Good news.

You're very welcome.
Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

NPierce- WOW! Is this the cli to show how a given pkg was compiled?

ffmpeg -version 2>&1 | grep -E "built|ffmpeg"
Please- the "2>&1" part here means what?
npierce

#10 Post by npierce »

Semme,

Well, no, it's not that magical; it just works for ffmpeg because ffmpeg will tell you how it was compiled.

Actually, all you need is

ffmpeg -version
The rest of it just extracts the information that was of interest to me.

ffmpeg prints the version information on the stderr stream, not the stdout stream. 2>&1 simply redirects the stderr stream to the stdout stream so that it can be piped to grep.

By the way, I had been confused about why wingevil had problems with streaming from a URL even though he had installed streamripper (which is supposed to handle the connection to the radio server), but I now see the problem. Yes, streamripper does handle the connection to the radio server, but the connection from streamripper to ffmpeg uses a URL: http://localhost:8002.

I had been under the mistaken belief that if streamripper was installed, a recent version of pmusic would work with a version of ffmpeg compiled with the --disable-network option. But with that option, ffmpeg will not recognize even that local URL.
Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

NPierce- thanks for the explanation, apologies for the delayed response. Slipped my memory..
npierce

#12 Post by npierce »

You're welcome.