How many of you host a webserver/ ftp/ ssh/ from home?

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
sickgut

How many of you host a webserver/ ftp/ ssh/ from home?

#1 Post by sickgut »

I am deciding if i should use my Rasp Pi to host a website and other things from my home permanent IP address. I have an upload speed of 160KBs (kilobytes not kilobits), and i figure it will be just fine to host things other then large ISO files etc and also let me FTP to home from other computers when i am traveling to access and upload any project i am working on.

As far as i can tell, i setup a DMZ (demilitarized zone) on my router and this will expose the ip addy of the Rasp Pi to the internet.

Does anyone here do anything similar to this? Is there anything else that would be useful information that i am missing?

aarf

#2 Post by aarf »

if i were to do this i would just install xampp into my favourite puppy and then it is virtually ready to go. BUT some connections to the internet wont allow it to happen. i havent looked into determining what the characteristics of the blocked connections are.

John Doe

#3 Post by John Doe »

Hello sickgut,

I don't currently run any servers but have run several in the past, including from home.

Puppy (and linux in general) is pretty secure by default.

Couple quick start up tips:

1-change your root password

2-firewall settings, allow only the ports for the services you wish to connect to from the outside.

3-newer pups seem to run CUPS by default. make sure it's blocked by firewall.

4-the command 'netstat -na' from shell will give you a look at what your machine is listening for and on what ports and addresses (as well as current connections). 0.0.0.0 means any ip address on the machine.

5-You have the DMZ concept correct. Make sure you don't use the broadcast address like 192.168.1.255 or 192.168.0.255 or the gateway. You don't want 255 or 1 at the end. Set it static in the machine so it doesn't use DHCP.

Have fun.

tlchost

#4 Post by tlchost »

Be suire that you check the TOS (Terms of Service) of your Internet provider. Some of them are very explicit that you can not run a server with residential services.

Thom