Rose Garden - for musicians

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Kenn

#21 Post by Kenn »

Thanks
I found the ecasound dotpup.

BTW, I didn't know it was possible to update the Thinkpad CPU. I looked through a number of sites but all of them seemed to refer to the TP600E or 600x, so perhaps it isn't possible for the vanila 600. Anyway if you happen to have a link...
toddyjoe

#22 Post by toddyjoe »

Kenn, I am not sure how easy it is to mod/upgrade the Thinkpad 600. I had to sort through a lot of Japanese websites to find out how to mod/upgrade my Thinkpad 310ED from 133 MHz to 400 MHz and the RAM from 16MB up to 128 MB (which is well beyond the maximum RAM quoted in the IBM literature). For a good starting point, freely download a copy of the hardware maintenance for your 600. There are a few sources for these downloads all over the Web. Then, try checking out the Thinkpads Forum over at thinkpads.com. There is lots of great information there about modding and upgrading old legacy Thinkpads, including some of the 600 series. I am also "toddyjoe" over there and vouch that it is a GREAT resource for tinkering with Thinkpads. Good luck!
bill

Rosegarden,Puppy4?

#23 Post by bill »

Hi,Is anyone working on Rosegarden in Puppy 4.I have attempted it but so far I have hit a brick wall. :? cheers,bill
amigo

#24 Post by amigo »

I have the older version here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... arden-2.1/

It only needs Xlibs so it is easier to get going than the new qt-based versions.
bill

In search of "Xlibs"

#25 Post by bill »

Hi Amigo,Thanks for the Rosegarden info.I searched "Xlibs" in my browser and came up with one hundred ten thousand hits. :? Any idea of a specific .tar or .pet .thanks bill
amigo

#26 Post by amigo »

Xlibs refers generally to the libraries installed with the xorg server. There are actually several packages that encompass what used to be a single package. The upshot is that you should already have these libs installed on your system. I was going to use ldd to tell you the exact lubs it needs, but I forgot that the compile produces a static binary so ldd doesn't work. That also means that you have even less dependencies to worry about since they are compiled into the app already.
muggins

#27 Post by muggins »

Bill,

I tried Amigo's Rosegarden on pup4. The only thing missing was libXaw.so.8. I just entered:

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/X11R7/lib/libXaw.so.7 /usr/X11R7/lib/libXaw.so.8
and it starts up OK. Being melodically challenged, that was the limit of my testing!
bill

getting a working Rosegarden in Puppy 4

#28 Post by bill »

Hi muggins ,Well I have tryed Rosegarden a couple of times wirh other distros and while it looks great and seems to run O.K. I have yet to be able to hear a sound out of them .I can open a .mid file and see it installed and can even see the indications of it playing,but I hear nothing. :? I had a similar problem with Ardour2 until I my dumped my onboard NVIDIA sound chip setup and installed a Creative Blaster LIve mp3+ which brought Ardour2 up and running. :D

Since I have been using
# tgz2pet Wonder.tar.gz (with some success)

I am now trying to figure ,where I am going wrong trying to install a .bz2 with process below.

<The procedure >

The installation procedure for software that comes in tar.gz and tar.bz2 packages isn't always the same, but usually it's like this:

# tar xvzf package.tar.gz (or tar xvjf package.tar.bz2)
# cd package
# ./configure
# make
# make install

If you're lucky, by issuing these simple commands you unpack, configure, compile, and install the software package and you don't even have to know what you're doing. However, it's healthy to take a closer look at the installation procedure and see what these steps mean.

Up to now Puppy 4 has just been watering my leg :lol: but I endeavor to perservere .thanks ,bill