Puppy runs ok, but can't eject live cd (64 MB RAM)

Booting, installing, newbie
pelokwin

Puppy runs ok, but can't eject live cd (64 MB RAM)

#1 Post by pelokwin »

Good day,
I have the live cd of puppy 2.0.1. It ran great on both a IBM aptiva desktop and my new toy a Gateway Solo laptop.
So I thought that when you run the live cd it loads into RAM so you can eject the cd to use the drive but in both cases I can not get the drive to open. Is there something I need to set up first or am I just missing the "snake right in front of me"
I'm just a passing thought in this world
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

It sounds like the disk is "mounted." This shouldn't be, assuming all you did was boot to the desktop. What does MUT show (when you click on the "drives" icon on the desktop?)
GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

Puppy will load completely in ram, which will free your drives

but if you don't have enough ram, it will mount the file system on the cd instead ... this will make Puppy run more slowly, and you will not be able to use the cd drive ... how much ram do you have?
laptopnewbee

#4 Post by laptopnewbee »

GuestToo wrote:but if you don't have enough ram, it will mount the file system on the cd instead ... this will make Puppy run more slowly, and you will not be able to use the cd drive
one solution to a ram shortage is a big swap partition. mine is nearly 4gig. not as fast as actual ram but should be faster than drawing from the cd.
pelokwin

#5 Post by pelokwin »

Hi all,
Sorry I took so long to get back. I am now only working with the gateway Solo, The desktop is going by by. this is the info fome windows "system info"
Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
Clean install using /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=c:\windows\options\cabs /IS /IW /IQ /ID /IV /IZ /II /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IE 5 5.00.2314.1003
Uptime: 0:00:06:05
Normal mode
On "0018562352" as ""
Gateway, Inc.
GenuineIntel x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1
64MB RAM
82% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (3871MB free)
Available space on drive C: 3871MB of 5717MB (FAT32)

As far as the Q from Flash yes it is mounted.
laptopnewbee...I think you are right
GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

64 megs is probably not enough ... you might need 128 megs to run completely in ram

if you copy the pup_201.sfs or whatever it is called from the cd to the hard drive where your pup_save.3fs file is, it will probably free up your cd drive (and run faster) ... copying the file "installs" Puppy to your hard drive (about 95% installed)
BlackAdder

#7 Post by BlackAdder »

Can confirm that Puppy 2.xx will not run fully in RAM with <128MB - more correctly the test showed that it won't with only 96MB.
What I found was that if you let it save at the end of a session and then copy pup_201.sfs (or whatever) to the same disk location as pup_save.3fs, then Puppy will load programs from the disk and free the CD-ROM. So GuestToo was right - as usual. It also created a 100MB pup.swp file on the FAT32 hard disk without any prompting from me.
Puppy now chugs along quite happily on an old machine with 96MB RAM. Will try it with 64MB later - just for laughs - but I have run Puppy 2.xx from CD-ROM on machines with as little as 48MB RAM.
pelokwin

#8 Post by pelokwin »

Thank you guys. I will try it to night and I will be back to updat.
pelokwin

#9 Post by pelokwin »

Alright so I put a copy of the file pup_201.sfs on the hd (as GuestToo said) and ...nothing as far as closing puppy when I shut puppy down it asked if I wanted to save session I said yes but puppy said "no suitable partitions"[/b]