Succesful use of Dropbox in a Frugal installation

Booting, installing, newbie
DaveS

#21 Post by DaveS »

rmcellig wrote:I get ya. What I will do is put a frugal install and the dropbox folder on the same sda partition. I just noticed that sda 7 has over 100GB of free space so I will put everything on this partition to make things simpler.
That should fix it.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!
rmcellig

#22 Post by rmcellig »

It will definitely keep things simpler. I have 216.72GB of free space for sda5. Tons of room to do a frugal install and create a new Dropbox folder which I will keep out of the Root folder.

I will post back with screen shots of how I have it configured to make sure I have dropbox etc... in the right places, then we can move on to the startup script. This is so fun!!
rmcellig

#23 Post by rmcellig »

So here is my latest update. I formatted a new Puppy Frugal partition ext4 (sda5) which is over 200GB in size. Now I think all I have to do is create that script so Dropbox loads on startup?
Attachments
my.dropboxanddropbox.png
(95.33 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
folders.png
(29.08 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
rmcellig

#24 Post by rmcellig »

I created a startup file in my Startup folder and although Dropbox now appears on my taskbar, I am still presented with the Dropbox setup window. This is what I have in the file.
Attachments
startup.png
(88.49 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
DaveS

#25 Post by DaveS »

rmcellig wrote:I created a startup file in my Startup folder and although Dropbox now appears on my taskbar, I am still presented with the Dropbox setup window.
Sure you are... Dropbox must create a unique identity for every install. Just follow the on screen set up procedure and eventually it will find your existing Dropbox folder and ask if you want to merge it. Say yes, and you are all done.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!
rmcellig

#26 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks for the heads up. I will keep an eye on what happens and post back. I have my Dropbox setup pointing to my link to Dropbox instead of the actual Dropbox folder. Should I be pointing to the actual folder instead? Does it matter?
rmcellig

#27 Post by rmcellig »

I think what I will do is just do a full install to a new partition so I can dual boot with other Linux distros and I know that Dropbox works fine in a full install.

Is there a downside to doing a full install? I know it is not as flexible as a frugal install and I would think that a full install is like your typical Linux installation.
jmccoy1

Dropbox Startup

#28 Post by jmccoy1 »

Hello - I'm using fernan's solution to getting Dropbox to start correctly (except that I put a link to ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd in my Startup folder, rather than a script). I have a question, though: Why does this work? Why does moving the .dropbox folder to /mnt/home change anything?

I'm not sure whether my question is about frugal installs, permissions, symbolic links, Linux, or something else.

Thanks for any help!
fernan wrote:Hi, I'm running puppy linux 5.25 and had the same problem, but I've found an easy fix to run dropbox under a FRUGAL install:

I moved the .dropbox folder outside the /root folder (where is installed by default), and made a link inside /root pointing to the real location. In my case, I've moved the .drobbox folder to /mnt/home/.dropbox

PAY ATTENTION THAT I'M MOVING AND LINKING THE .dropbox FOLDER, NOT THE Dropbox FOLDER

I also have my Dropbox folder outside the /root folder and linked to that in /root so I don't need a hughe lupusave.3fs (or pup_save file)

to auto-start the dropbox daemon, I've made a executable file in /root/Startup/dropbox-start.sh

this is inside it:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

It's working in my computer, I hope this can help other users with the same problem. It seems many people have this problem

good luck :D