How to run a .desktop file from Firefox?

Using applications, configuring, problems
hollywood

How to run a .desktop file from Firefox?

#1 Post by hollywood »

So I am testing a remote access program called "Bomgar". It works over the internet by having the client access the Bomgar website and enter a code. It is made for Windows, Mac, and Linux of which my company uses all. My issue is that on Puppy, I can make the software work but not in a way that is friendly to the end user(client)......

Basically, the end user enters the code I give them which then downloads a file from the Bomgar site. The file is a .desktop file which contains script to install the Bomgar client and connect the user to me so I can remotely control them. What happens is Firefox asks if I want to "save" or "open with". If I save it, and then open a terminal and 'sh bomgar.deskop' from the saved location it will install and run the client and I can remotely control the computer. However I want to set up the client's machine to run the file directly from firefox by selecting "open" rather than asking them to save and then run it from a terminal. Does anyone know how I can do this? I have attempted to save the file and change the properties to get it to launch the installer with no luck. Basically I believe I just need the .desktop file to be executable. I have changed it's properties to be executable but still nothing happens when I click the .desktop file, and ultimately I want Firefox to execute the file when the user selects to "open" it.

So first thing I need to figure out is how to run the saved file simply by clicking on it. If I can get that to work, then I need to tell Firefox how to run it by default. This isn't a typical .desktop file that refers to a program. This is a .desktop file that when ran, installs software and launches it. Like I said, running the file from a terminal with the 'sh' command works perfectly.....The install runs and the remote session works. Thanks for any help you can provide.

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

Hello Hollywood,

I can't help with your ffox question, but thought that, perhaps, makeself may be relevant for creating a self-installing archive. (If not, just ignore.)

cheers

aragon

#3 Post by aragon »

rox (the filemanager used in most puppy-versions) is able to run *.desktop files.

aragon