Precise general questions

Booting, installing, newbie
Barkingmad

Precise general questions

#1 Post by Barkingmad »

Hello

As Precise Puppy is the latest relese I was thinking of moving a PC I have on from 4.3.1, mainly for the greater software choice but was wandering what sort of hardware specs it is aimed at?

I was wanting to use a P4 1.8GHz. RAM ATM is only 256MB so would upgrade but what to?

I am looking for "comfortable" performance in general use, not "it runs but like treacle", so if Precise would be a bit heavy I'll probably use Lupu instead.

Also, does Precise use GTK3? -- I can't find it mentioned anyware and it would open up more software like the later releases of Fotoxx for picture management.

Thanks for any help

Will

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

It cold potentially be slower. Its probably best to try a frugal install of Precise and see how your machine runs.

Atle

#3 Post by Atle »

I think you need the retroprecise or at least non PAE version for your hardware. If you just download Precise it will not boot on old computers.

But Slacko and Lucid will probably for sure boot and has more .pet's than Precise.

Barkingmad

#4 Post by Barkingmad »

Thanks

For interest, what sort of hardware specs would say Precise needs?

Will

Tote

#5 Post by Tote »

Hi Barkingmad,

if it helps I'm using an old-ish laptop with M chip, 1.40GHz, and something like 240Ram, the older kernels run better than the newer ones on here, but I recently tried the latest PreciseNOP and it worked quite well.

It's not as snappy to use as Puppy432 that I'm using now, but what you lose in snap you gain in the more up to date appearance and access to newer pets, etc. It's swings and roundabouts.

Atle

#6 Post by Atle »

Hi...

What kind of browser do you 256 guys use? I feel that Firefox uses an awful amount of ram that nearly cripples my 512 ram machines.

I guess the only way to go even further down with the ram is to try out Slitaz or Tiny Core, as they are preferably distros at 35 and 10mb, but with latest this and that. I have not tried them it that sense yet as i aint got no 256 machine.

Yet in menu/system/schedule/bootmanager

there could be some services that can be turned off in order to get even more out of this low spec machines.

I have tested them my self and looked at the ram usage and it went down a little, But when you already got little, then little is more than "just" I guess:-)

Tote

#7 Post by Tote »

Hi, right now I'm posting from the latest sfs version of Opera, and running the Puppy 432v3 I mentioned above. I've disabled plug-ins but java script is enabled. If I need the plug ins I can enable them easy enough. Not sure, but it seems to help with the low ram.

I can't use Firefox, but I never liked it so I never used it anyway. Running it will just slow everything to a standstill and I get tired of waiting for things to load. The latest Seamonkey runs pretty well. Not lightning fast but not so slow it becomes irritating.

Dillo or links are good for a lot of websites and don't use hardly any resources.

I can run the latest version of those two browsers, (Opera and Seamonkey) without any major problems on Puppies with older kernels, but it's usually a no-go or very-slow with any distros using newer kernels. I don't know why that is. :shock:

jakfish

#8 Post by jakfish »

Hey, Tote, I run the same 4.32. Have you tried to run Chrome/Chromium on 4.32? Perhaps you did, and that's why you run Opera :)

Jake

Tote

#9 Post by Tote »

:D No, I haven't tried it. The Google/Chrome association always put me off.

jakfish

#10 Post by jakfish »

I know, the whole Google thing is creepy, and I'm up to my elbows in it, Android phone, google sync, everything. The trouble is, Google and its tentacles make cross-platform computing (Linux, Windows, phones) a breeze.

At any rate, on my eee 900, I run a bastard union of a stripped-down puppeee kernel with ttuuxx's 4.32. Very snappy, though Chromium--unfortunately--runs far, far better on the same eee running Lubuntu 12.10.

Hence, my inquiry into your browser findings. I need to try Opera again on the eee. On another, faster netbook, I use Opera on dpup exprimo 5.13. It's okay, but still slower than Chromium on the eee,, go figure :)

Jake

Atle

#11 Post by Atle »

Why I am a bit stuck with Firefox is the addons...

I use several of them and feel naked without. Apart from that I could use any browser. Guess they are all spyware at the end of the day, apart from Dillo.

You get a instant account at a certain datacenter i Utah, no matter what browser you choose;-)

kurtdriver

#12 Post by kurtdriver »

Precise 5.4.90 runs quite well on this Celeron 1.86, so your chip is fine, mind you this laptop has two Gigs of ram. You'd probably want to add some.

I'd say it's a tad slower than Wary was on this machine. Wary was truly zippy on it. Firefox 18 was slow to load on Precise. Removed in favour of Seamonkey. There's no comparison in terms of package availability. Why not try it and see how it runs?

Precise seems to run a little faster than Fedora 18 does on my Quad core 2.4 Ghz. machine.

I just ran

Code: Select all

# time seamonkey

real	0m0.090s
user	0m0.010s
sys	0m0.013s

That works for me.