Are scripts in init.d executed synchronously/alphabetically?

Using applications, configuring, problems
edwin.evans

Are scripts in init.d executed synchronously/alphabetically?

#1 Post by edwin.evans »

What order are the scripts in /etc/init.d executed? I figured it would be alphabetically but I'm seeing a script starting with P getting executed before one starting with A. Also, are these executed one after the other or in parallel? Is there a script that loads these scripts or is it compiled into the Operating System?

Thanks!

Karl Godt

#2 Post by Karl Godt »

/sbin/init is the default target for the linux kernel to execute after it had finished extracting vmlinuz . Puppy /sbin/init is since Lupu a script that executes /bin/busybox init , that by default runs /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit , which calls near its end /etc/rc.d/rc.services . This rc.services runs the scripts in init.d . The linux commands or shell internal functions often sort numbers before letters and lowercase often before uppercase or viceversa. :Punct: 's are also to consider .

Example :

Code: Select all

touch test.1 1test.2 11test.3 0100test.4 Test.5 '@test.6' '__Test.7'
ls -1 *[Tt]est.*
ls -1 *[Tt]est.* |sort
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P

edwin.evans

#3 Post by edwin.evans »

Karl Godt wrote:/sbin/init is the default target for the linux kernel to execute after it had finished extracting vmlinuz . Puppy /sbin/init is since Lupu a script that executes /bin/busybox init , that by default runs /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit , which calls near its end /etc/rc.d/rc.services . This rc.services runs the scripts in init.d . The linux commands or shell internal functions often sort numbers before letters and lowercase often before uppercase or viceversa. :Punct: 's are also to consider .

Example :

Code: Select all

touch test.1 1test.2 11test.3 0100test.4 Test.5 '@test.6' '__Test.7'
ls -1 *[Tt]est.*
ls -1 *[Tt]est.* |sort
Thanks! That clears things up a lot!