How to change JWM Menu icons? (Neon theme)

Booting, installing, newbie
technewz

How to change JWM Menu icons? (Neon theme)

#1 Post by technewz »

hello, i have just chance the icons in a jwm theme folder and i have a problem.
The icons on the desktop are ok but in the menu some icons missing.

How i can fix it ?

tallboy

#2 Post by tallboy »

There is a directory named /usr/share/desktop-directories, and in that directory we can open for example the file Puppy-Graphic.directory. When I open that file from my LupuPlus_5.2.8 in a text editor, it looks like this:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Graphic
Icon=paint24.png
Type=Directory
You see that it expect to find paint24.png, but you may have deleted the little icon used by the root menu. The icons are found in /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps. If you have a new icon there, named paint48.png or similar, you can easily make a new little icon by dragging the icon you want to see in the menu, to the mtpaint program, and in mtpaint: menu->Image->Scale Canvas. That will open a new window where you set the new size to 24 - 24, and then menu->File->Save As and choose /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/paint24.png. Open a terminal window and enter: jwm -restart and then fixmenus, and you should see an icon in the menu.
If you already have the file /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/paint24.png, perhaps you just forgot to run fixmenus? You can also change the text in the code above to another icon name, if you wish.

For the icons in the submenus, you will find similar entries in the /usr/share/applications/ directory, a new installed program should have a file here to have a menu entry.

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

technewz

#3 Post by technewz »

One of the problems is when a rename the file from name48 to name 24 it is like corrupted file thre is no image and is open like a text.

Edit

Ok i find the solution the mistake was that i did not use jwm -restart first but only menusfix, if i have any other problem i will ask again.

Thanks a lot :D
?
P.S
Can i change the icons in the taskbar too ?

technewz

#4 Post by technewz »

Too bad i am running out of luck :(
The first try with the multimedia file was successful but with the others icons graphic, document and business nothing happens, i believe i have wrong name to files but what name i must write ?

linuxcbon

Re: Change Menu icons

#5 Post by linuxcbon »

technewz wrote:hello, i have just chance the icons in a jwm theme folder and i have a problem.
The icons on the desktop are ok but in the menu some icons missing.
Which jwm theme did you change and how ?

technewz

#6 Post by technewz »

I have changed the icons in Neon theme, i have download png files from the net i resized and renamed them and replace the neon icons with them.

linuxcbon

#7 Post by linuxcbon »

technewz wrote:I have changed the icons in Neon theme, i have download png files from the net i resized and renamed them and replace the neon icons with them.
Then you have to ask to the author of that theme.

tallboy

#8 Post by tallboy »

technewz wrote:One of the problems is when a rename the file from name48 to name 24 it is like corrupted file thre is no image and is open like a text.
If you do as I described, you do not only rename the icon, you resize the icon first, and then give the resized icon the correct name.

tallboy

technewz

#9 Post by technewz »

Ok i have done it thank you a lot :)
I spend many hours but it worth it all the way.

Can you tell me how i can change the taskbar icons also ?

tallboy

#10 Post by tallboy »

Nice work! Which puppy do you have?
  • See if you have a file /root/.jwmrc.tray, there you may have some icon names.
  • Some applications or scripts that start in the tray, are placed in /root/Startup.
  • Open the scripts in a text editor, and see if there is a link to an icon name there.
  • Check the name of the script, and see if there is an icon with the same name in /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps, or /usr/share/pixmaps.
  • Then you can change them the same way you already have done.
If you need more icons, look here: http://puppy.b0x.me/desktop-iconsets

tallboy

technewz

#11 Post by technewz »

Thanks a lot for your compliment :)
I am using Precise Puppy 5.5.

tallboy

#12 Post by tallboy »

Then the jwmrc may have changed it's name

tallboy