How to connect to public wifi?

Booting, installing, newbie
circularL7

#1 Post by circularL7 »

I tried to connect via wifi at a public establishment. The network wizard picked up the signal, and I went through the process, but it claimed that it was unable to connect. A fellow patron informed me that, though there was no password, I was supposed to agree to terms via an initial page. I assume that since I've used the machine with wifi before, the issue is related to agreeing to the tos.

What should I do?
starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

If it's McDonald's the trick is that you have to keep the page open where you accepted the terms and all, or it kicks you right back off.

That tripped me up a couple times till I figured it out.
circularL7

#3 Post by circularL7 »

Coffee shop, but I'll try McDonald's tomorrow. I've been jonesen for a biscuit anyway :D

Thanks for the help!
Monsie

#4 Post by Monsie »

It's possible that the terms of service stipulations that you must agree to for some public wifi access locations are part of a pop-up window. If that is the case, be sure to disable any pop-up blocker you might have enabled in the browser... otherwise you might miss this step altogether, then wonder why you cannot establish a connection.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.
circularL7

#5 Post by circularL7 »

Thank you. i had tried at MDonald's in the past also, but it was such a brief effort that it wasn't worth mentioning, but now, it seems to me that neither service initiated a pop-up, so that may be the issue.

Unfortunately, both my wifi and biscuit had to be postponed on account of priorities.
bill

#6 Post by bill »

Just FYI but I have used a McDonalds hotspot a couple of times,with good results and the only thing I might add before you wag in your laptop is to check
the availability of a power outlet to connect your charger if you intend to download a sizable file.If your laptop is anything like mine and the charge gets
low,you will have wasted your time.While I have found all McDonalds are hotspots,all are not equipped with power outlets.

Oh ! and by the way circularL7 ,after you pick the service,you will be required to DHCP it,otherwise you can't connect as this is what I had to do using Puppy
circularL7

#7 Post by circularL7 »

That's good to know; thank you!
bill

#8 Post by bill »

Just a reminder to ALL owners/users of laptops,do not,under any circumstance,leave your laptop unattended,because it takes less than five seconds for you to face a big disappointment.Just saying cheers
circularL7

#9 Post by circularL7 »

Success away from home! Thank you, all.

I still haven't gotten to McDonald's, but I'm outside. I should be stopping by there tomorrow or so.

I don't know what I did that was different except that I opened a SM window before trying to connect. In the past (except when I was at home, ironically), I had always begun with trying to connect. Go figure.

I'll test next time to see if it matters. And, I'm going to start looking for a respectable laptop.
circularL7

#10 Post by circularL7 »

ksh... ksh... This message... ksh... is coming to you from... ksh... McDonalds.

Thanks!