GRUB seems reluctant to install

Booting, installing, newbie
howard

GRUB seems reluctant to install

#1 Post by howard »

After installing Precise Puppy (5.4) on my Thinkpad R50e, I attempted the procedure for making the hard drive bootable. Unlike previous installations, where I accepted all the defaults, this one did not suggest a location to install GRUB.
So I entered /dev/sda/ in the field and clicked Continue. The installer appeared to be churning but then soon disappeared from the screen with no confirmation of the result. Next, I tried /dev/sda1, with the same result as above.
In cases where no GRUB installation point is suggested, what is the coorect thing to enter in order to have GRUB installed to the boot sector of my hard laptop'ds drive?
Thanks
howard

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

The legacy GRUB installer was broken in some versions of Precise. Use Grub4Dos bootloader config instead. Or get the updated version of legacy GRUB here.

howard

#3 Post by howard »

rcrsn51 wrote:The legacy GRUB installer was broken in some versions of Precise. Use Grub4Dos bootloader config instead. Or get the updated version of legacy GRUB here.
Sorry I wasn't more clear. I believe I used the GRUB Bootloader, which was a menu selection from within Precise Puppy.
howard

666philb

#4 Post by 666philb »

Hi Howard...

There are two grub programs in precises menu... grub legacy and grub4dos. Grub4dos is the one you want
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

circularL7

#5 Post by circularL7 »

Try sda0.