SOLVED! Mini Wireless USB Adapter that works with Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
Javelin Dan

SOLVED! Mini Wireless USB Adapter that works with Puppy?

#1 Post by Javelin Dan »

I bought a Tenda model W311 MI mini wireless USB adapter the other day. It's plug-n-play with Ubuntu, but I plugged it into my old Dell laptop running Lucid 5.28 and it said no networks were detected. Running the command "iwconfig" showed that the device wasn't even recognized. Cruising through the files in the installation disc, it mentioned the following drivers: RT 3070, RT 3370, RT 5370, and RT 5372. Does this mean that any one of these drivers will work with this device? In any case, none of the "RT" drivers already loaded in Puppy is one of these. Just for grins, I loaded and unloaded every "RT" driver there and none worked.

I have two questions. 1.) Is there a way or a place to retrieve one of these drivers to make this device work? And, 2.) If not, can anyone suggest a low cost MINI wireless adapter that will plug-n-play with Puppy? I have an SMC that works great, but it sticks out a mile and I'm afraid I'll eventually snag it on something. Any and all input appreciated.
Last edited by Javelin Dan on Thu 04 Jul 2013, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

You probably need the proprietary rt3070sta driver.
It's available for Puppy Lucid 5.2.8 here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 360#513360

If this doesn't work, you should tell us the USB device ID of your wifi device.

Javelin Dan

#3 Post by Javelin Dan »

Thanks for the try, tempestuous. I successfully downloaded and installed the driver. It showed up in the network configuration tool, but when I loaded it no networks were detected. I did find a Panda Ultra mini wifi adapter on ebay for $12.99 (US) that claims it works with Puppy 5.3.3. Would that be any different from 5.2.8?

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

Javelin Dan wrote:... claims it works with Puppy 5.3.3. Would that be any different from 5.2.8?
Yes, quite different - a more recent kernel with updated kernel modules (drivers).

My suggestion was based on your mention of "RT3070" in the documentation, but let's stop the guesswork and be sensible and scientific - as I mentioned in the previous post, we need to know your USB ID.
Plug in the wifi dongle, then run this command -

Code: Select all

lsusb
You should see your wifi device listed - please tell us the ID.

watchdog

Re: Mini Wireless USB Adapter that works with Puppy?

#5 Post by watchdog »

Javelin Dan wrote: 2.) If not, can anyone suggest a low cost MINI wireless adapter that will plug-n-play with Puppy?
Any wireless device, which come with Windows XP driver, can work in linux by ndiswrapper driver. So I prefer to purchase a device which is supported in xp and there are a lot of them. If the wireless device can get recognized in puppy by the kernel without ndiswrapper is only better.

Javelin Dan

#6 Post by Javelin Dan »

tempestuous - Sorry I missed your question in your first post. The command "lsusb" reveals the following:

Device 001: ID 1d6b:001
Device 002: ID 04f3:0230
Device 003: ID 148f:5370

I can only assume the "148f:5370" ID is the one for the dongle as the 5370 number relates to one of the RT driver numbers -correct? One of the other ID's relates to my USB mouse, and I have no idea what the third relates to as these are the only two external USB devices plugged in.

Watchdog - I will follow tempestuous's lead first to it's natural conclusion, but if that ultimately fails please explain how I would make this work with ndiswrapper. I know this device is supposed to work with XP, BUT that only happens if you run the installation CD (I'm assuming in Windows), and this machine is not a dual boot - Puppy only. When I mount and try to run the CD in Puppy, it only allows me to read files.

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

Javelin Dan wrote:Device 003: ID 148f:5370
Try the rt5370sta-v2.5.0.1-k2.6.33.2.pet from here.

bill

Mini Wireless USB Adapter that works with Puppy?

#8 Post by bill »

Would this be pertinent to use in defining USB Adapters ? Click on Menu >System Status and Config > Hard info information > USB Devices > 80211 g wlan . Just asking .
Attachments
USB_Devices.jpg
(15.81 KiB) Downloaded 915 times

Javelin Dan

#9 Post by Javelin Dan »

Almost there! Thanks to rcrsn51 who provided the link, and tempestuous who originally posted the driver, I downloaded and installed the rt5370sta driver. When I opened the internet connection tool I now had a choice of "etho" and "ra0" (only had "etho" before). I clicked on "ra0" and it scanned for available networks where the name of mine showed up with several others. I selected mine and it gave me a choice of network protocols and asked for my password key as usual. However, once I entered the correct info I got a message that it failed to associate my network name with the ESSID. It suggested to try again which I did several times with the same result. Any suggestions?

Revision: I went back and checked and only my network was detected whereas with the SMC dongle plugged in about six local nets were detected - if that means anything at all.
Last edited by Javelin Dan on Mon 01 Jul 2013, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.

Javelin Dan

#10 Post by Javelin Dan »

Following is a copy of the failure log:

Interface: ra0 Driver: usb Bus: x MacAddress: C8:3A:35:C2:86:50
Description: x

STEP1a: ifconfig ra0 up
STEP1b: iwlist ra0 scan
ra0 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:22:2D:BB:F1:CF
Protocol:802.11b/g/n
ESSID:"Javelin69"
Mode:Managed
Frequency:2.457 GHz (Channel 10)
Quality=52/100 Signal level=-69 dBm Noise level=-92 dBm
Encryption key:on
Bit Rates:72 Mb/s
IE: WPA Version 1
Group Cipher : TKIP
Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP
Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
STEP1c: ifconfig ra0 down
STEP2: iwconfig ra0 mode managed
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device ra0 ; Network is down.
STEP3: iwconfig ra0 channel 10
Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04) :
STEP4: iwconfig ra0 essid "Javelin69"
Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :

LAST 10 LINES of /var/log/messages:
Jul 1 02:27:44 puppypc user.warn kernel: #
Jul 1 02:27:44 puppypc user.warn kernel: RTUSB_VendorRequest failed(-110),TxFlags=0x0, ReqType=OUT, Req=0x2, Idx=0x400,pAd->Flags=0x70024442
Jul 1 02:27:44 puppypc user.warn kernel: Request Value=0x0c81!

tempestuous

#11 Post by tempestuous »

It appears to be an encryption related problem.
In the Network Wizard (which I hope you're using!), screenshot below for reference, you selected the correct form of encryption, right, WPA/TKIP or WPA2?
If you're not sure, check your wifi router's configuration setup.

If all settings are correct, it may simply be that the rt5370sta driver isn't playing well with that particular form of encryption - so change it. If your router was set for WPA, try changing it to WPA2. Or vice-versa.
Attachments
network-wizard.jpg
(51.22 KiB) Downloaded 790 times

cthisbear

#12 Post by cthisbear »

" running Lucid 5.28 "

Try Frisbee.

""""""""""

When you boot a recent Puppy....install Frisbee.

Frisbee is either enabled automatically or is an option >> Pet
in Network or Internet >> in the Puppy menu.
Sometimes it is in the Connect menu on the screen.

In Lucid 5.28 it is in Network????????????

Run the pet

wait at least 10 seconds

Now try Connect...Frisbee should be a third option.

:::::::::

If it won't play right...try this...

Change the >> Ap_scan Parameter

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=435

::::::::

Strangely enough on some Puppies...still no connection.

I exit to the prompt.

Type xwin >>> return to desktop

and magic happens.

With the last Precise with my horrible Dell I had to do that.

Mind you Win7 often fails to connect as well.

::::::::::

And try the battery trick.

Yeah! I know...you'll say BS.

Turn off your laptop

Pull out AC power lead

and the battery

Hold down the Power Button for 30 seconds.

Re-assemble and boot up.

Try to connect now.

""""

tempestuous.

Hey Tempe...any help here please.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86522

Chris.

Javelin Dan

#13 Post by Javelin Dan »

No time to look into any of this tonight - it's my wedding anniversary. I'll give you a shout back tomorrow and let you know what I found.

Javelin Dan

#14 Post by Javelin Dan »

Success!!...more or less...

OK - here's where I am:

Tempestuous - I tried to change the encryption protocol but was unable to do it. When I got to the network wizard page you posted no matter what I tried, it would simply recycle to the same page with my correct network name, my ESSID (the same), encryption setting, and password key. But when I hit the "Go" button it would simply reset to the same page. After I felt I had exhausted every option, I tried cthisbear's suggestion...

cthisbear - I downloaded and installed Frisbee. It searched around automatically a lot trying to connect but never was successful until out of frustration, I double clicked on my Network name after it scanned for available networks. I got the window that said that it might take up to 45 seconds to connect. It took all of that and then some, but I finally got a message that it had connected. My first click on my browser failed, but the second connected. It connected every time after that. I saved the configuration and rebooted. Again, my first attempt to connect to my browser failed, but the second was successful. Not ideal, but I can certainly live with it.

A footnote here: This is a low spec computer and I don't weigh it down by loading any of the other repositories other than the one it installs with. When I want to look for pet packages, I go here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... ges-lucid/, here: http://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/linux/puppylinux ... ges-lucid/, or here: http://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/pupp ... ges-lucid/. The pets are listed in alphabetical order usually having several listings for the same software arranged oldest to newest, top to bottom. I downloaded the Frisbee Beta 2 package from the ibiblio site. It installed with no issues.

I'll leave this thread open for a day or two in case anyone wants to weigh in, then I'll mark it "solved". Many thanks to all who tried to help!

Javelin Dan

#15 Post by Javelin Dan »

UPDATE -

I think I actually judged Frisbee a little too harshly at first. After playing with it for a while, I discovered it connects automatically, first time - every time, but it does so considerably more slowly than the connection wizard in Puppy. All that needs to be done is to wait until the pop-up pooch tells you it has aquired your network address, and you're good to go. Some people might find the cute little pop-ups annoying, but I've grown to like the progress reports, especially since it takes a little longer to connect. All things considered, I'd have to say Frisbee rocks!

I have one small request - cthisbear (or someone who knows Frisbee) PLEASE post a simple tutorial of how to set up and configure Frisbee. Without any instruction, I eventually just started clicking on anything that even looked like it might work. I still don't know what the hell I actually did to get it up and running. In any case, my Linux victories are few and far between and it feels good to sit in the winner's circle again. Thanks again.

cthisbear

#16 Post by cthisbear »

" In any case, my Linux victories are few and far between and it feels
good to sit in the winner's circle again. Thanks again. "

You are a winner because you didn't give up.

You kept testing.

You reported back to us whether good or bad.

And jemimah was a good egg and a pretty smart cookie.

And well missed here in the forum.....

I hope that she is OK.

""""""""""""

jemimah

Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 2

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 20Beta%202

18 pages

Chris.