Can't Boot From 2 USB Flashdrives

Booting, installing, newbie
DLWood

Can't Boot From 2 USB Flashdrives

#1 Post by DLWood »

I downloaded Puppy 2.10 a couple of weeks ago and burned the ISO to a live CD which works fine. I'm saving my files as a Multisession CD, not to the HD or USB drive.

I tried using the universal installer to be able to boot from a flash drive. When it didn't work on a PNY 128MB drive, I tried it on a Sandisk 512MB minicruser pen drive. Neither worked with default settings. I don't know enough to know what other settings to try, but I did try some of them with the same failed result.

Then I read that there was a bug in the "initrd.gz" file, and so I downloaded the fix and replaced the file. Once, the PNY got through part of the boot process, but then hung up on "error 71" or something like that. So I'm guessing that my Bios will allow booting from a USB drive OK (if it made it part way through).

I downloaded the entire Puppy ISO fix....."puppy-2.10r1-seamonkey.iso" and burned another live CD. I retried the universal installer to both flash drives, but all I get is "Missing Operating System" when I try to boot from the USB drive. I look at the files on the USB drive and they are all there!

What am I doing wrong? Newbie to Linux and Puppy and need help.

ddtd

#2 Post by ddtd »

Hi, also newbie here :-)
Had the same problem as Jon Strabala (http://www.puppyos.net/blog/comments.ph ... 916-064956) but solved it searching the net. Works with puppuy 2.02 and 2.10 for me.
At this site: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ are infos on how to install linux on pendrivers (usb stick) among others is puppy, but for puppy author of the site suggests to use puppy usb installer which doesnt work for me. So i've tried procedures like knoppix linux on that site.

What you need to have: puppy iso file, HP usb disk format tool, syslinux-3.11.zip, isobuster or simillar, usb stick.

First you format usb stick with HP usb disk format tool (file system FAT), then you use isobuster and extract these files to usb stick: initrd.gz, isolinux.cfg, pup202.sfs (or 210), vmlinuz.

Edit isolinux.cfg, edit PMEDIA=idecd to PMEDIA=usbflash, save it, rename isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg. Then you use syslinux, from \syslinux-3.31\win32 dir, syslinux H: (put your usb drive letter). And that's it. Set up your bios to boot from usb-hdd or usb-zip which one it works.

DLWood

Still No Go

#3 Post by DLWood »

Thanks ddtd for your post and information.

This has been REALLY frustrating. I read your directions and nearly all of the directions for the linux distros, as well as many links for the HP utility, syslinux.exe and others.

Here's what I did:

1. Reformated my PNY USB drive with the HP USB disk storage format tool. I used the Quick Format since several of the instructions said to do that. I have no floppy drive on my computer nor do I have the DOS boot files that I read so much about.

2. I copied INITRD.GZ, PUP_210.SFS, SYSLINUX.CFG, and VMLINUZ from the fies created by the PUPPY Universal Installer to the USB drive. I checked and the syslinux.cfg file was already fixed with the "PMEDIA=usbflash"

3. I downloaded and extracted syslinux-3.31.zip to a directory on my desktop. I looked for 3.11, but it wasn't listed. This should be the latest version and should be OK....right?

4. I opened the comand line, CD to the syslinux-3.31\win32 directory, and ran syslinux.exe G My USB drive letter is G. I got "Usage: syslinux.exe [-sfma] <drive:> [bootsecfile]" as a message. I guess this is right; I have no experience with these things. At least it didn't error.

5. I shutdown the computer and turned it back on, pressing F12 to get the boot selection. I chose "USB Drive" and got the message...

Remove disks or other media
Press any key to restart

Pressing other keys just gives the same message. If I remove the USB stick, I get "press F2 for setup" which just takes me back to the BIOS

I have a DELL Dimension 4600 and you press F2 for BIOS setup and F12 for boot selection. USB drive is an option on the boot selection.

I also tried taking the 4 files from the live CD and editing the isolinux.cfg as you suggested, but I got exactly the same result.

So, I'm one frustrated DLWood today. I'm wondering how to do it using the DOS floppy method if I don't have a floppy drive. I'm out of things to try.

Any other suggestions? :shock:

ddtd

#4 Post by ddtd »

Sorry mate, i have no more suggestions

vern72023

#5 Post by vern72023 »

How I do it
1 >format the usb as FAT using the HP utility - as BOOT disk NOT quick format - the "create a DOS startup disk " choice
NOTE you will need to provide the folder that has your bootimage files in itn ( you will find a folder under usr/lib/ called syslinux that contains these) just copy it to the syslinux folder that you are going to run from) or you can get it from sites like BartPE
2 > run syslinux
3> copy in the INITRD.GZ, PUP_210.SFS, SYSLINUX.CFG, and VMLINUZ
done

The folder i use to do all this contains the following files
hpusbfw.exe
io.sys
command.com
syslinux.exe
config.sys
bootsect.bin
msdos.sys
That is everything you need and all you need

so far I have successfully done this with about 12 different types of usb drive from 64MB up through 5GB and including the make you specify - it has never failed for me

I have created a zip of this called BootUSB.zip which is about 218KB in size - you say you already have the hpusb utility so because of the size limit i did not include it in the posted file

have fun
george
george

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

DLWood, do I read you right, that you can't get the computer to boot from anything at all now? Or can you still configure the BIOS to boot from the CD for instance?
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

DLWood

Still no Joy

#7 Post by DLWood »

Flash, I can boot from the Puppy Live CD or my normal Windows HD.

vern72023, thank you for your instructions. I think I followed them to the letter.

1. I unzipped your file and extracted it to my Windows desktop (6 files in folder "bootusb").

2. I formatted the PNY 128 MB USB drive as FAT using the "create a DOS startup disk" choice. I pointed to the "bootsub" folder on my desktop. It reported that the format went fine.

3. I clicked start/run/cmd to get a command prompt (clicking on your "command.com" file would flash the prompt across the screen and last only a second or two). I changed the directory to \desktop\bootsub\. I entered "syslinux.exe G" and hit return. It gave me the message "Usage: syslinux.exe [-sfma] <drive:> [bootsecfile]" ..... same as before..... is this the correct reply message?

4. I copied in the 4 files to the USB drive and shutdown the computer.

5. I started the computer, hit F12 to get a boot selection, chose "USB flash" and got this as a message:

Microsoft(R) Windows 98
(C) copywright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999
C:\>

This is a new one.....Windows 98???? WTF??? I have Windows XP Home already!! :shock:

I just have to laugh. This seems so simple to not be working.

I reversed # 3 and 4 above thinking the files maybe needed to be copied before syslinux was run.

What am I doing wrong?

Getting a headache,
DLWood

vern72023

#8 Post by vern72023 »

try syslinux.exe g:
george

DLWood

#9 Post by DLWood »

Thanks vern72023. I got things working eventually. I definately needed the colon in "syslinux.exe g:" But it wouldn't work with just that.

I had 2 live CDs that boot just fine. One I downloaded and burned about 3 weeks ago, and one a few days ago (puppy-2.10r1-seamonkey.iso). The second one said it had a fix for the INITRD.GZ file so one could boot or save to a USB drive (can't remember which). I think I was using the 4 files from the second CD or from the files the Puppy universal installer generated. I decided to replace them all with the files from the first CD and PRESTO...it worked. I'm not sure which file was at fault, but that was part of the problem. Your pointing out that I needed a colon was the other problem.

So, success at last. I'll quickly copy those 4 files that work!!!! Thanks everyone for all your help.

Now if I can just figure out how to make Gaim work with the defaults. I have to replace the addresses with IVP4 addresses, and nothing works for MSN.

And I want to know how to resize the screen for my monitor.

And....... :wink:

Never ends, does it??? :D

PaulBx1

#10 Post by PaulBx1 »

If you are saying the Puppy 2.10 files worked, where the Puppy 2.10r1 files did not, well that's not good.

Either the universal installer is broken, or maybe the 2.10r1 did not download properly. Did you check with md5sum? Anyway I will keep your workaround in mind.

It's about time for me to take another shot at installing to USB flash, and this thread is encouraging me, especially the comment that "so far I have successfully done this with about 12 different types of usb drive from 64MB up through 5GB and including the make you specify - it has never failed for me".

DLWood

#11 Post by DLWood »

Yes, I'm saying that when I used the 2.10r1 files, I could not get it to work. Yes, I checked the MD5sum hash and it was OK. The live CD I burned from 2.10r1 worked OK too, so maybe some corruption happened when copying to the USB drive. I had tried just about every combination of things in a desperate attempt to make it work. So, when I copied the old 210 files from the first live CD that I burned and it worked, I was very pleased. Don't know if that was actually the difference, but it worked by changing the files.

I've read many posts that say they couldn't get the universal installer to work for the USB drives. In fact, I haven't read about anyone who has been successful (but then, why would they post, right??).

I have successfully used vern72023's method to boot from a 512 SanDisk mini cruser as well as the PNY 128. I didn't try the universal installer again.

vern72023

#12 Post by vern72023 »

i am using the latest 2.10r1 filles and they work fine so it may well have been some sort of corruption when copying them over.
The main advantage for r1 was the delay that was introduced so they could more accurately pick up usb drives

George
george

Mets

#13 Post by Mets »

Well, I was having similiar problems, and this is what I did:

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=11285

Mets

pmshah

Perhaps Hardware incompatibility.

#14 Post by pmshah »

I will relate a strange problem to you that I faced with an otherwise perfectly functioning MSI mobo.

The bbios of the mobo allows booting from the usb port. I have options to select the kind of USB boot device such as usb-cd, usb-zip, usb-floppy etc.

It also has a header on the it for connecting USB devices to the front panel. Whenever I had my Apacer 1 gb pendrive connected to this usb front panel connector the system would simply freeze in the middle of the boot process. I also have an internal multi flash memory card reader on the same machine. It never gave me any problem whether there ws any media in the reader or not. It would also not boot from the usb cdrom connected to this front port. After almost a year of living with the problem one fine morning while upgrading my hdd & the cabinet opened up & a cd-rom connected to the rear (onboard usb - next to the vga/rj45 ) port and the system booted normally. I connected the Apacer pendrive to this rear port & the machine booted properly. I changed the bios settng to boot from usb-cdrom as the first option & the machine booted from the cdrom perfectly.

So for all you know it just might be some thing in the bios that prevents booting from USB. You might try one of the other ports & it just might work.