Precise 5.7.1: SeaMonkey - Missing elements on website

Booting, installing, newbie
Omega

Precise 5.7.1: SeaMonkey - Missing elements on website

#1 Post by Omega »

Precise 5.7.1 / Retro

When I visit the following website:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/584003-mario-bros/faqs

with SeaMonkey there are some symbols missing. For example left of the FAQ should be a filled circle and left of FAQ/Walkthrough should be a half-filled circle, in the search field should be a small magnifying glass. Instead I have little boxes everywhere (where these small symbols should be) with codes like "F111", "F002" or "F042".

When I open the same site with Opera there are no problems.

On other websites I have not noticed any real problems with SeaMonkey.

What is it? Is there anything I can do about it?

Terryphi

#2 Post by Terryphi »

This is a Mozilla bug not a Puppy bug. The same problem is seen using Firefox 23.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

Omega

#3 Post by Omega »

@Terryphi: Okay. Thanks, good to know.

chapchap70

#4 Post by chapchap70 »

I have Seamonkey 2.17 and Firefox 20.01 (Nightly) and I see the circle plus the half circle to the left of the FAQs. Could it be an addon like noscript? Maybe install an older version?

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

Here's SM 2.19 and FF 23.0.1. NoScript allowed it's all fine. Grab this and check for a video upgrade..
Attachments
sm_2.19.jpg
(69.76 KiB) Downloaded 406 times
ff_with_noscript_blocking-1.jpg
(51.18 KiB) Downloaded 435 times

Omega

#6 Post by Omega »

I have tested it with SeaMonkey 2.17.1 (Precise 5.6.1) and SeaMonkey 2.19 (Precise 5.7.1). In both browser-versions the symbols are not shown.

The only two add-ins that I have installed are:

a) a german language pack
b) Quick Translator 1.0

Of course there are more add-ins. I mean the ones that came with Puppy like flash-player etc. I haven't changed anything in the player-compartment because it works very well on any other site.

I have tried disabling the Puppy Ad-Blocker by deleting everything in the blacklist but with no success.
I have tried disabling the two add-ins above but it doesn't help.

Funny that the page is displayed correctly with Opera. On the same system. (I have Precise 5.7.1 Retro which has SeaMonkey and Opera.)

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

How does: seamonkey -safe-mode display?

Omega

#8 Post by Omega »

Hi.

Excuse me I'm still pretty new to Puppy Linux and I'm not sure if I open safe-mode correctly. Here's what I did:

I clicked on the desktop on "console" and in the terminal window typed in "seamonkey -safe-mode".

Seamonkey started and I went to GameFAQs but still no success. The symbols are not shown.

What I noticed is, that it takes pretty long to open the website. It takes 5 seconds for the blueish GameFAQs Logo (on top of the page) to appear. When I open the site with Opera it appears almost immediately.

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

Yes, how safe mode is done. I was think'n *user agent switcher* but it ain't gonna help. They're not compatible with the latest offerings. If FF's the same, simply accept the fact computers aren't perfect and be happy you have an alternate browser. If FF works, suspect a bug. Anomolies exist.

For the 571 record- my results were the same.

Omega

#10 Post by Omega »

I understand that software is never done. I wait for the next SeaMonkey update(s). (Or better said: The next Puppy Precise updates.) In the meantime I rely on Opera.