Puppy just not ready for prime time

Booting, installing, newbie
dancytron

#21 Post by dancytron »

Baffled,

Some more answers to definitions.

sudo apt-get install gparted - Command line used in ubuntu or similar operating systems to install gparted. Does not apply to Puppy

root permissions - Full access. In Windows it would be "administrator access". Unlike most linux, the default permission a user has in Puppy.

swap partition - a partition that is used to swap with RAM memory. In windows called "virtual memory paging file" or similar.

EXT4 - a type of file system used in linux (but not in Windows). Examples of file systems in windows would be NTFS or FAT 32.

/dev/sda/ - A linux label for the first hard drive. In Windows it would be called "C:" or C Drive.

flagged/marked as bootable - A partition which is bootable/could be booted to.

sata - A type of hard drive. All modern hard drives are SATA. The older ones are PATA or IDE (same thing different names). Really old ones might be SCSI.

darkcity

#22 Post by darkcity »

failfop - when computer says no after ten hours of trying, and you retire to bed with a Malt Barley/Bailey.

mikeb

#23 Post by mikeb »

Hmm many distros follow the windows approach of a setup that takes you from cd to installed system ... I think the op expects/wants something like that... I understand his viewpoint.

For puppy this has never been the case as it is primarily written to be a LIVE CD system (or more lately USB) that has the option to have a persistant save. Installing is either not required or something the user can do later on but is not required to have a working computer. Also you have a running system in far less time than other operating systems take to install.

Many including myself have run live on slightly broken machines eg no hard drive at least until we get to sort out the hardware.

mike

ardvark

#24 Post by ardvark »

mikeb wrote:Many including myself have run live on slightly broken machines eg no hard drive at least until we get to sort out the hardware.
...which is an excellent point and feature, which makes puppy unique. But how can we make installing it to a hard drive more easily understood by beginners? :)

Regards...

mikeb

#25 Post by mikeb »

Well ardvark there are users here who have tried to improve this aspect... the 'one click does all' script and a win32 installer that does the job in windows are 2 examples. Its sad to see people resorting to outside tools like unetbooting to achive an install but incorporating neater solutions is not up to the likes of you and I.

Back to the original thought of as a live cd its get the iso and burn it...in essence thats the install done
Perhaps there is a certain responsibility in creating a full installer...if it messes up yer window 8 there would be all hell to pay so instead leave it to the users choice and technique plus no 2 systems and computers are alike so not an easy one to test.
One final point is that a Full install (eg like windows and ubuntu) is not officially supported...'at your own risk' sort of thing. the idea of puppy is to be unobtrusive and a full install is the opposite of this.

mike

amigo

#26 Post by amigo »

"If the tuffty9 is in a failfop state, then use the kerangbang program to disenbobulate it, unless the woofter has been previously smershed." +1

sunburnt

#27 Post by sunburnt »

All good points guys...

I think the main thought is that Puppy could be better in a lot of ways.
I`ve seen lots of great ideas and code come and go from Puppy.

Building on an all Ubuntu Puppy would allow portable apps. = more apps.
So the variant builders wouldn`t be constantly remaking the apps. wheel.

alphadog

#28 Post by alphadog »

I find that Puppy is quite excellent in many ways and I use it all the time . It does however require some knowledge of Linux computer terminology , but this is easily picked through reading magazines or just browsing the beginners sections of this and other forums.
IMHO there is a good newbies section on the Mint forums http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=59925
So the gist is I think that Puppy is not as polished as some of the bigger distros but surely if it does what you want it to , then surely that is your prime time , and why should you go elsewhere .
@baffled I see by your other posts on these forums that you are having great trouble understanding the "language" used by Puppy or any other distro especially as you are trying to do a full install and believe that we are all computer programmers, system analysts etc. This couldn't be farther from the truth! In my case I work in a factory on the shop floor.There are others here such as motorcycle mechanics etc.
If you give me a couple of days I will try a write a how to on a full install to hdd (and explain the terminology used in laymans terms) and post it somewhere where you can read it
Dell Optiplex760 8Gb RAM 256Gb SSD+500Gb HDD(Now running Bionicpup64)

mikeb

#29 Post by mikeb »

There are others here such as motorcycle mechanics etc.
What are you implying here.... them there motycycles is complicated beasties :D

have fun

mike

ardvark

#30 Post by ardvark »

mikeb wrote:Well ardvark there are users here who have tried to improve this aspect... the 'one click does all' script and a win32 installer that does the job in windows are 2 examples.
I didn't know this.

Regards...

mikeb

#31 Post by mikeb »

One click installer
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42876

win32 installer
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61404

the forum is not the ideal way to organise data......

mike

darkcity

#32 Post by darkcity »

Added links to
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/InstallationIndex

The Wiki could be a way to organize information about Puppy. Unfortunately many pages need updating and/or rewriting.

alphadog

#33 Post by alphadog »

What are you implying here.... them there motycycles is complicated beasties
@mikeb Yessir I come from the era of British thumpers Triumph BSA Norton etc.
Dell Optiplex760 8Gb RAM 256Gb SSD+500Gb HDD(Now running Bionicpup64)

mikeb

#34 Post by mikeb »

I had a BSA A7 for a while but the previous owner had lost 20% of it along the way... and not a 20% that was easily replaceable either...so it never got to thump for me :(

As for thee japoknees a set of helicoils is essential...

mike

Q5sys

#35 Post by Q5sys »

alphadog wrote:
What are you implying here.... them there motycycles is complicated beasties
@mikeb Yessir I come from the era of British thumpers Triumph BSA Norton etc.
From a much different generation... but I'm trying to work out the kinks in my 98 Triumph Speed Triple. No one in my area knows anything about them. Lol

baffledbylinux

#36 Post by baffledbylinux »

Over the long weekend I tried several liveCD alternatives to Puppy. Unfortunately nothing appears on both the "old computer" and the "beginner" lists at Distro Watch.

Previous investigation indicated that for a computer with CPU =>1GHz and memory =>1GB, then Linux Mint is considered best for beginners. For CPU =>1GHz and memory =>512MB then Ubuntu is considered best. (Xubuntu, according to Wikipedia, is just as resource hungry as Ubuntu).

As I have a lower spec computer, I tried all the more popular disros listed in the "old computer" list at Distro Watch. Crunchbang, Bodhi, and Antix were far too technical for the beginner.

That left Lubuntu, which I installed to hard disk. But I was disapointed when I started to use it.

The "killer app" that Puppy (Precise Puppy Retro to be precise) has compared to Lubuntu is being able to run Shockwave Flash in Opera.

Opera will not install in Lubuntu. Shockwave Flash will not install in Lubuntu, including not in Chromium or in Firefox. But they both install and run in Puppy. And that is why I have come back to Puppy.

So I can see streaming videos in Puppy, from the BBC News Website or YouTube, but not in Lubuntu. The streaming videos are admittedly rather jerky or choppy, but the sound is complete. This is on a 698MHz CPU and what was a 384MB memory, now increased to 512MB. .

The thing that needs improvement with Puppy is that Abiword is ridiculously slow. Each letter takes almost a second to appear. Even though I am a slow two-finger typist, I type half a sentence and then wait a very long time for Abiword to catch up at about one character per second.

I wish Puppy could be installed so that I did not need to have a CD stuck in my only CD Drive, and that there was more choice of programs.

Another thing I noticed with Lubuntu compared with Puppy, was that Puppy was a much smaller .iso file but appeared to have more programs included in it.

I tried making a CD from the Puppy Gamer iso in the hope that it might be more optimised for streaming video, but it would not run on my computer.
Last edited by baffledbylinux on Tue 27 Aug 2013, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#37 Post by rcrsn51 »

baffledbylinux wrote:The thing that needs improvement with Puppy is that Abiword is ridiculously slow. Each letter takes almost a second to appear. Even though I am a slow two-finger typist, I type half a sentence and then wait a very long time for Abiword to catch up at about one character per second.
Are you assuming that all Puppy users experience this?
I wish Puppy could be installed so that I did not need to have a CD stuck in my only CD Drive
It can be. Do you need help with installing to a hard drive?

mikeb

#38 Post by mikeb »

Installing would improve the performance definately though if you want to do some serious typing get libre office or perhaps try softmaker...they do/did a free version.

Also it likely you can get a faster cpu of ebay cheap...up to 1GHz likely.

A better graphics card if the is a agp slot can also majorly improve performance for little outlay.... I have a couple of 12 year old compaq motherboards and they work nicely with a few hardware changes to max the performance.

mike

baffledbylinux

#39 Post by baffledbylinux »

Yes thanks I would like help installing Puppy to HD. I have tried clicking the install icon on the desktop, but it eventually tells me I cannot install because I have a puppy file (I forget the name) installed on the hard disk.

So I would like to ask, after booting Lubuntu how do I delete this file please?

I would like to install everything to HD, and have puppy take up as much as possible, preferably all, of the HD.

The problem with a slow Abiword is something that has been asked about by many different people on the internet. Perhaps other word processing programs for Puppy are available.

Thanks

baffledbylinux

#40 Post by baffledbylinux »

Thank you mikeb. If I install a graphics card and boot up the pupply live cd, will it be able to install the required drivers?