How to copy a file from one folder to another?

Booting, installing, newbie
baffledbylinux

How to copy a file from one folder to another?

#1 Post by baffledbylinux »

I am using Precise Puppy 5.7.1 retro.

1. I do not understand how to copy files with ROX filer. When I right click a folder and choose "copy", all I get is a small pop up window that shows the same address as the folder I've just clicked.

What am I supposed to do, memorize the address of where I want to paste the file and type it in manually? Surely the file manager should make it easier than that.

I have look through the ROX manual, but it does not tell you how to copy files.

There appear to be no other file managers available. I remember having this same problem in the past.

Please could someone tell me in specific concrete terms what to do.

2. I have put a pen drive into one of the USB ports of the computer. I cannot see the pen drive in the ROX file manager display. I would like to copy some files from this computer into the pen drive.

Please could someone tell me how to do this. Saying that I need to "mount" the drive, for example, does not help me - I need specific concrete details of what I should do.

Thanks.

norsiwel

How to copy file(s) in Rox

#2 Post by norsiwel »

to copy files in rox, open two rox windows, and simply drag the file from one window to the other, a small menu will drop down asking if you want to copy, move or link the file or files you have selected. To mount you usb stick click on the icon for it on the desktop and it will open in a rox window, then open another rox window where the files you want to put on the usb drive live, then select as many as you like, and drag them to the usb drive window and let go, the same process, choose from the menu, to copy, move or link.
the only thing that is constant is change

cthisbear

#3 Post by cthisbear »

Always use >>> COPY files...never >>> MOVE.

http://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-usi ... hswqoHKd2M

Chris

Sylvander

Re: How to copy a file from one folder to another?

#4 Post by Sylvander »

baffledbylinux wrote:There appear to be no other file managers available.
1. I ALWAYS install Xfe [X File Explorer] in EVERY Puppy I use.
[See screenshot below]

a. You can display a folder hierarchy pane on the left, and 2 file panes on the middle and right.
You can make 1st one pane the focus [by clicking in the pane, or part of its name], and use either the hierarchy pane on the left, or the [name or items displayed within the] file pane to navigate to the item [a folder contents?] to display in the file pane.
Then you make the 2nd pane the focus, and choose something to display there.

b. If you select->[highlight] some thing[s] in one pane [the left?]...
You can right-click the item[s], and then choose either "Copy to..." or "Move to..".
By default it will then do that action [copy or move] to the other pane.
[You CAN specify some other location, but I never do that]

c. Xfe is very useful/handy/powerful.
It can be used to copy/backup/restore all [or part] of the contents of a partition.
I often use it for backup/restore.

d. To explain the screenshots:
d1. sdb1 is a [150GB ext3 partition on a] 1TB external USB HDD [also holding sdb2= 785GB NTFS partition] in an enclosure.
I keep backups [and other stuff] in that.
d2. Folders 00, 01, 02, 03 I made within [some also outwith] the Puppy filesystem, to hold this-n-that.
They automatically go to the top of the folder hierachy, so are always easy to see/find.
I configure Firefox to save stuff to /00 but also to offer the choice to save somewhere else.
d3. The white ghostly icons below indicate that all folders/files are unhidden.
Click on black ghostly icons [hidden] to make them white [unhidden], and vice-versa.
d4. The yellow item has the focus.
d5. You can make it display either 1 or 2 file panes by clicking at top right [not included in screenshot] on the appropriate little pane icon.
Left one is for 1-pane; right one is for 2-panes; middle one gives a display of 2 file panes and no folder pane.
Attachments
00.jpg
(41.38 KiB) Downloaded 773 times
01.jpg
(6.1 KiB) Downloaded 766 times
Last edited by Sylvander on Mon 26 Aug 2013, 12:48, edited 2 times in total.

FeodorF

#5 Post by FeodorF »

Ups - Monday!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

baffledbylinux

#7 Post by baffledbylinux »

What I did with "Rox" that worked was, as far as I recall:

Find the file you want to copy, right click and choose "copy" from the menu. Another small window will pop up.

Click on the desktop Rox icon again to open a third window. Navigate to where you want the file to go. Drag the second window into the third window.

Seems rather a long winded way of doing it. I understand that another more recent file manager is available for Linux, which is similar to Windows Explorer. In the future, if I can install it, I will use that.

Thanks

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

You did find a long way around. :lol:

You almost got it right. Modify your method a bit and you'll have something more like what you're used to in Windows. First, find the file or folder you want to copy, but don't right-click it. Instead, open another instance of ROX and find the folder where you want to put the copy. Then simply left-click the file you want to copy and, holding the left mouse button down, drag the file to the folder where you want to put the copy. :)

baffledbylinux

#9 Post by baffledbylinux »

What you have described seems like doing a "move" rather than a "copy".

Jasper

#10 Post by Jasper »

Hi baffled,

You find it simply baffling, whereas Flash finds it bafflingly simple.

Your Puppy experience appears to extend to some eight days, whereas Flash has more than eight years behind him.

It can do no harm to test the method Flash suggested - then you might understand.

My regards

MochiMoppel

Re: How to copy a file from one folder to another?

#11 Post by MochiMoppel »

baffledbylinux wrote: When I right click a folder and choose "copy", all I get is a small pop up window that shows the same address as the folder I've just clicked.

What am I supposed to do, memorize the address of where I want to paste the file and type it in manually?
This small pop up is useful when you want to make a copy of a file in the same directory. In this case you have to change the name, and the pop up conveniently already has the basename selected for you, so you just have to type a new name and your copy+rename is done. Of course if you (or your clipboard) memorized the new address you can input the address right away. In some cases this is much quicker than clicking your way to the target directory.

For using drag&drop do as Flash advised you. Watch the icon of your mouse cursor while you drag:
It includes a "+" sign. This means that the file will be copied. You can force other actions (resulting in other cursors) using the keyboard:
Shift + drag = Move
Ctrl + Shift + drag = Symlink
Alt + Shift = Show options