How to get rid of Windows and install Puppy Linux please?

Booting, installing, newbie
baffledbylinux

#1 Post by baffledbylinux »

I have an old computer (a Dell Dimension L700CXE, with a 698Mhz CPU, 189MB memory, read/write CD drive, 20Gb SCSI ATA Quantum Fireball HD, currently WindowsMe installed). I've also got a Lucid Puppy Linux V.5.2.8 Live CD.

I'm using the above to write this message, as the motherboard on my WindowsXP computer has suddenly failed, so I'm using this old computer as an emergency fall-back. I may need to use this computer for some time.

I am not familiar with Linux. Please could someone explain step by step what I need to do to erase the existing WindowsMe and install Puppy Linux instead. I've looked at the guides but I do not understand them.

The version of Puppy Linux on the LiveCD is old. If it is capable of burning a CD then I could download and burn a more appropriate version. Unfortunately I do not have any pendrive available.

I have experimented with using this old computer and the LiveCd in the past, and there are two or three Abiword wordprocessor files on the HD which can be erased. When the LiveCD starts up it mentions lupusave.2fs and lupu_528.sfs - I imagine they may be something to do with this.

Although I have had no problems accessing the internet for emails etc (thanks to Puppy Linux for making it so easy), the other essential thing I need to do for my home business is print letters. In the past when experimenting I recall being able to print letters with my HP Inkjet 930c printer. I do not remember if I did anything to set it up.

But now when I try to print a letter nothing happens. I do not get any error messages, just nothing happens. The computer knows that I have a HP deskjet 930c. In the printer selection menu, after I have asked Abiword to print a letter, it says "If you have more than one HP Deskjet 930c printer connected to this machine, please unload (and blacklist) the..." - cannot see the rest of it.

When I experimented in the past I probably also used a HP Deskjet 930c, but that particular printer got damaged and I bought the same model from ebay to replace it. So same printer model, but different individual printers, if that makes any difference.

Looking at the hardware information, for the printer it says printer state: printing a job. State reasons: connecting-to-device. Yet nothing happens, and I have left it a very long time. The printer is connected, powered, and switched on.

What in simple steps do I need to do please?

Thanks very much.

alphadog

#2 Post by alphadog »

Hi "baffled"
I would suggest you look at some videos on "You Tube" on how to install to hdd. Search "install puppy linux" I found nearly 4000 results!
Must be something there for you .
Remember to backup any files you may need from the Me install onto a disc or usb key or they will be wiped if you use the whole hdd to install to.
I could talk you through the process but watch a video first then try an install and see how you go. Remember if you bork it up you can just boot your live cd and you have a fresh pc again. Then you can come back here again and ask away.
To install a printer in Puppy ...... Click on Setup (Desktop or Menu)..>click on CUPS Printer Wizard > answer yes to add a new printer > wait a few moments for the CUPS interface to open > click on Adding Printers and Classes in the CUPS for Administrators menu and just follow the process through takes a few moments to do.
If you get lost or confused (or both or neither ) just come back here to ask any more questions .
Dell Optiplex760 8Gb RAM 256Gb SSD+500Gb HDD(Now running Bionicpup64)

ardvark

#3 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

Interesting, I just got done scrapping out a Dimension L500cx that was running Precise 5.6.1 because, even with a CPU upgrade, the system wasn't able to run the OS as quickly or efficiently as I needed, particularly with web pages. :(

If alphadog's suggestion for installing your printer doesn't work, here is a thread might be of help. :)

Also, using the Gparted program in Puppy to set up your linux partitions will effectively remove your Windows ME install.

Regards...
Last edited by ardvark on Fri 23 Aug 2013, 02:11, edited 1 time in total.
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

ally

#4 Post by ally »

hey baffled

boot from the live cd with 'puppy pfix=ram' from boot options (ie without a savefile)

menu>system>gparted - delete partition then create new partition (if you want to run linux only use an 'ext(1,2,3)'

menu>setup>puppy universal installer - follow the instruction and select a 'frugal' install (this is like a copy of the live-cd on your hdd)

menu>system>grub4dos - this is the 'bootloader', just click where it tells you

puppy is installed

menu>shutdown>reboot - it will ask if you want to save, don't yet (ie no), whilst it reboots remove the live-cd

when it restarts it will show a boot options page, hit enter or wait

when the system starts, follow the instructions to select keyboard/country etc

when that's done it will ask to restart x, click yes

follow the instructions to 'connect' to the internet (wireless or ethernet as appropriate

when you've finished all this restart again and create a savefile (this stores you settings and provides working space

when rebooted you should be good to go

sounds a lot but when you've done it before it takes 3-4 minutes

the hardest thing for me when starting was finding where your files go, ask again if you need to

have fun and welcome aboard

:)

cthisbear

#5 Post by cthisbear »

Specs:

http://www.jlaenterprises.net/index.php ... cts_id=419

I'm surprised that Lucid works on this.

Chris.

Monsie

#6 Post by Monsie »

baffledbylinux wrote:
In the past when experimenting I recall being able to print letters with my HP Inkjet 930c printer. I do not remember if I did anything to set it up.
Yes, you did. You must have used the CUPS Printer Wizard to set up your printer.

baffledbylinux wrote:
But now when I try to print a letter nothing happens. I do not get any error messages, just nothing happens. The computer knows that I have a HP deskjet 930c. In the printer selection menu, after I have asked Abiword to print a letter, it says "If you have more than one HP Deskjet 930c printer connected to this machine, please unload (and blacklist) the..." - cannot see the rest of it.
It sounds like your system "thinks" there are two HP 930C deskjets installed, hence the problem with printing... Since you are running Puppy live on a CD, the simplest thing is to reboot and try again --if you have not done so already. However, you might have this problem again. Here is why I think so: you are low on ram --192mb - 3mb (for on-board video) = 189 mb useable ram. Puppy performs amazingly well on some old computers, but, there are limits. Puppy really likes 256 mb or better to function well. If you can manage it, you should be able to find some more used ram at a computer shop for only a few dollars... which would still be cheaper in the meantime than getting your main system up and running again.

Question: Do you remember the process while using CUPS Printer Wizard, and if so, do you remember at any point a pop-up error message something like: "Printer driver not found" and if so, did you go ahead and select another compatilble driver from a list provided for your model of printer? I ask because I am trying to figure out your situation, and if in this scenario, it is possible that you could have somehow installed two drivers for your printer. This seems highly unlikely, but weird things sometimes happen... :wink:

If you are still unable to set up and use your printer while running Puppy live after a reboot, report back and others can help you further. Hopefully rcrsn51 will see this thread and offer some assistance, as Printers are part of his expertise.

Hope this helps,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

baffledbylinux

#7 Post by baffledbylinux »

Thank you for replies. I have now created a Live CD for Precise Puppy and prefer that (I'm impressed that even this 698Mhz computer can do streaming video in Opera, albeit jerky). I have done the CUPS thing and got the printer to work, thanks.

I find it frustrating that there are no instructions or software to simply install Puppy Linux straight to hard disk, overwriting all the old disk contents. With Windows, and possibly other versions of Linux, this is the normal way. In Windows I think it is called a "clean install". (The appeal of Windows is that you simply put the installation disk in the drive, confirm you want a clean install, and it does the rest.) It would be nice to have installation cds of Puppy Linux as well as LiveCds.

When using Puppy Universal Installer, it says that you should change the Windows (currently got WindowsMe installed) file system to Linux ext2 using GParted, but does not say how it is done.

How do I change *all* of the Windows file system to be Linux ext2 please? I want to delete all the contents of the hard disk, including all the saved files of the various versions of Puppy Linux I have tried, and start again from scratch.

UPDATE: I have tried using GParted, but cannot get it to change anything at all. It lists fat32 19.01GB, and unallocated 1.54MB. The hard-drive is only 20GB. The "resize/move" option is grayed out. The only thing it will let me click on is "new partition", but when I try to create a new partition I get an error message saying "Could not add this operation to the list. A partition cannot have a length of 0 sectors".

Thanks

FeodorF

#8 Post by FeodorF »

baffledbylinux wrote:UPDATE: I have tried using GParted, but cannot get it to change anything at all. It lists fat32 19.01GB, and unallocated 1.54MB. The hard-drive is only 20GB. The "resize/move" option is grayed out. The only thing it will let me click on is "new partition", but when I try to create a new partition I get an error message saying "Could not add this operation to the list. A partition cannot have a length of 0 sectors".
Please notice:

You need to boot your Precise Puppy Live-CD with the option 'puppy pfix=ram'.

To do this, you'll have to hit the 'F2'-key as soon as the 'puppy face' shows up - there you enter the above text 'puppy...' .

As soon as puppy precise is up and running, your hard disk symbols have to look like this: 'Partitions.jpg'. Now you'll be able to use gparted and change the partition type successfully. (Whenever there is a square around the drive symbol the drive will be blocked for gparted.)
Attachments
Partitions.jpg
(12.3 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
Last edited by FeodorF on Fri 23 Aug 2013, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

To get Gparted to fully work, you need to boot the Puppy live CD using the boot option: puppy pfix=ram
This makes sure the hard drive is not mounted.
Drive must not be mounted for Gparted to fully work.

There are several ways to install Puppy.
Explained here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60302
Look under full install method for info about using Gparted.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

baffledbylinux

#10 Post by baffledbylinux »

Will probably try installing later this evening when I have more time.

Thanks