OpenOffice needs glibc2.5. Where can I find it?

Booting, installing, newbie
ThreeEightTwo

OpenOffice needs glibc2.5. Where can I find it?

#1 Post by ThreeEightTwo »

Hello, all. I've been using Precise for a little while now, and am sorta getting used to the Linux file structuring in general. But when it comes to installing applications in Puppy, I'm consistently stumped. I'm still generally new to Linux, obviously.

I'm trying to install Apache OpenOffice 4, and one of the prerequisites are glibc 2.5 has to be present. However, when I checked the GNU website, they list the latest glibc release as 2.18.

Some googling somewhat reveals that there are two versions of glibc out there, but every search is too vague and there's little info regarding this as it is.

Would someone here know more about this, and where I can get the correct glibc library?
Last edited by ThreeEightTwo on Tue 24 Sep 2013, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

In this case 2.18 is later than 2.5 ... love that convention :)

mike

ThreeEightTwo

#3 Post by ThreeEightTwo »

That does not compute. :?

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

ok how about 18 is more than 5
glibc 2.5 is from about 2005/6

mike

ThreeEightTwo

#5 Post by ThreeEightTwo »

Ah, I see. It should be read as 2.05, .06, .07.....18, right?

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Yep... a little confusing at first and not everything follows that convention.

Packages like libre office are very conservative when it comes to system needs which is to our benefit :)

regards

Mike

ThreeEightTwo

#7 Post by ThreeEightTwo »

You know, I never really figured out the major differences between Libre and Open Office. Pretty much everyone has always said they were basically the same exact thing, except Libre continues their FOSS philosophy and Oracle dropped the ball on OpenOffice somehow.

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Hmm twas originally go openoffice a sort of fork under the wing of someone I cannot remember. What I did find though it loaded faster and opened documents faster with lower resource usage especially for the big stuff.
Apparently it handled macros better too but I never played with that.
mike

edit forgot to ask..is libreoffice working for you now?

Monsie

OpenOffice needs glibc2.5. Where can I find it? (Solved)

#9 Post by Monsie »

If I remember correctly, Precise Puppy has libc 2.15 so you should meet the requirements for any version of OpenOffice.

Note the system requirements for OpenOffice 3.4
http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/sour ... aoo34.html

Then note the system requirements for OpenOffice 4.0
http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/sour ... aoo40.html

and you will see that Apache effectively lowered the requirements for the latest version of OpenOfffice. I suspect that they chose to compile it with glibc 2.5 in OpenOffice 4.0 in order to satisfy the Redhat customers, as this would be a significant market.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

ThreeEightTwo

Re: OpenOffice needs glibc2.5. Where can I find it? (Solved)

#10 Post by ThreeEightTwo »

Monsie wrote:If I remember correctly, Precise Puppy has libc 2.15 so you should meet the requirements for any version of OpenOffice.

and you will see that Apache effectively lowered the requirements for the latest version of OpenOfffice. I suspect that they chose to compile it with glibc 2.5 in OpenOffice 4.0 in order to satisfy the Redhat customers, as this would be a significant market.

Monsie
Didn't realize the differences in sys requirements.

I went and head and tried installing Oo anyway (simply out of personal preference), and I keep getting a 'Segmentation Fault' message every time I run the dpkg install command.

...I'm seeing the topic marked 'solved.' Post new thread?

Monsie

#11 Post by Monsie »

ThreeEightTwo wrote:
Monsie wrote:If I remember correctly, Precise Puppy has libc 2.15 so you should meet the requirements for any version of OpenOffice.

Monsie

I went and head and tried installing Oo anyway (simply out of personal preference), and I keep getting a 'Segmentation Fault' message every time I run the dpkg install command.

No, you want to keep this thread going... so all you need to do is to remove (Solved) in the subject line by editing your first post, and the thread can stay open. Note that you have to do this as no-one else can do it for you. :)

It sounds like you are trying to install the OpenOffice package from Apache, and you would probably have better success with a version that is packaged specifically for Puppy. See Mick's thread over here for version 3.4 I don't know yet if anyone has tried to package version 4 or not. Also, Apache has Unofficial Development Builds for version 3.4.1 which include a Full Archived Set which requires no installation --just unpacking of the archive here. This might be a good option for you since you are having issues with the installer... While it is not version 4, it is a recent version and should get you up and running.

Hope this helps,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

mikeb

#12 Post by mikeb »

Their download seems to only offer rpm.... if so that tends to be a compatability pig.... and dpkg is for debs(???).

As suggested...someone who has done the dance and made it human compatible for puppy users who be a better bet. Usually a sfs is a good idea.
Big isn't it..my sfs of 3.4 rolled in at under 100MB.

mike

ThreeEightTwo

#13 Post by ThreeEightTwo »

Monsie wrote:
ThreeEightTwo wrote:

Monsie

No, you want to keep this thread going... so all you need to do is to remove (Solved) in the subject line by editing your first post, and the thread can stay open. Note that you have to do this as no-one else can do it for you. :)

It sounds like you are trying to install the OpenOffice package from Apache, and you would probably have better success with a version that is packaged specifically for Puppy. See Mick's thread over here for version 3.4 I don't know yet if anyone has tried to package version 4 or not. Also, Apache has Unofficial Development Builds for version 3.4.1 which include a Full Archived Set which requires no installation --just unpacking of the archive here. This might be a good option for you since you are having issues with the installer... While it is not version 4, it is a recent version and should get you up and running.

Hope this helps,
Monsie
Yeah, I'm already figuring out that packages won't necessarily work even if you meet all their dependencies. I've always thought that it was install all prerequisites, then install package app, then it'll work.

mikeb wrote:Their download seems to only offer rpm.... if so that tends to be a compatability pig.... and dpkg is for debs(???).

As suggested...someone who has done the dance and made it human compatible for puppy users who be a better bet. Usually a sfs is a good idea.
Big isn't it..my sfs of 3.4 rolled in at under 100MB.

mike
Yeah, if I'm not mistaken, dpkg is for .DEBs. So far, my experience with dpkg is....rather unsuccessful. I have never successfully installed a package with that tool.

azstew

#14 Post by azstew »

OO4 .sfs is what I use, as I don't need OO loaded at start every day. Use load with sfs on the fly as needed.

http://download853.mediafire.com/62j56v ... .0_528.sfs

ThreeEightTwo

#15 Post by ThreeEightTwo »

I've successfully got Oo 3.4 going, although I'd like to know just how you got your hands on 4.0. The Puppy repositories ought to have that already.