PuppyPin priority on unionfs

Using applications, configuring, problems
pewekodok

PuppyPin priority on unionfs

#1 Post by pewekodok »

after unionfs layer checking, my puppypin was overwritten
/root/Choice/ROX-Filler/PuppyPin

I am using ratpoison and want no-icon desktop.
usually I deleted those icon tag on PuppyPin xml.
but again and again the puppy was overwritten.

how to make it sure my customized PuppyPin is on the top priority of unionfs

P.S.: my bios battery has little failure, so the time reset to earlier date after powered off.
is timestamp the possible cause of overwriting?

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

I think you need to disable the icons using the eventmanager otherwise it will recreated them
mike

sunburnt

#3 Post by sunburnt »

Yeah, a real sore spot for Puppy if you ask me.

I`m sure there`s a reason for it, but it obviously needs better control.

musher0

Re: PuppyPin priority on unionfs

#4 Post by musher0 »

pewekodok wrote:after unionfs layer checking, my puppypin was overwritten
/root/Choice/ROX-Filler/PuppyPin

I am using ratpoison and want no-icon desktop.
usually I deleted those icon tag on PuppyPin xml.
but again and again the puppy was overwritten.

how to make it sure my customized PuppyPin is on the top priority of unionfs

P.S.: my bios battery has little failure, so the time reset to earlier date after powered off.
is timestamp the possible cause of overwriting?
Hello, pewekodok.

No, the low bios battery has nothing to do with it.

To get no pinboard at all with your ratpoison window manager, simply
put the following script in your /root/Startup folder.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
# /root/Startup/nopinboard.sh
####
[ "`cat /etc/windowmanager`" = "ratppoison" ] && rox -p=
That little script wil override the PuppyPin default.

Alternately, you could insert the line

[ "$CURRENTWM" = "ratpoison" ] && rox -p=
just before the line

#exec $CURRENTWM
in the /root/.xinitrc file. (That should be line 182 or therabouts.)

That line means:
if ratpoison is the wm, show no pinboard; if not, show it.

Do not use both scripts at the same time; use one or the other.

Should you need to restore the default pinboard for some reason,
issue the command

rox -p=/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
in a console. The "rox -p=" command does not alter the existing pinboard.

I hope this helps. Best regards.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

pewekodok

thx musher

#5 Post by pewekodok »

musher( thanks a lot
you guided me to the right direction.

digging .xinitrc, find out a script
/usr/sbin/fixPuppyPin

the script try to relocate pin location.
just now comment out fixPuppyPin script.
and will see if the magic works :D

btw I just learned ROX file explorer, its features resembled ROSC
for me it were so many unfamiliarized feature, then found out those features are excellent

pewekodok

two checkboxes not checked?

#6 Post by pewekodok »

mikeb wrote:I think you need to disable the icons using the eventmanager otherwise it will recreated them
mike
mikeb please check whether I did it correctly
I leave two checkboxes unchecked.
Attachments
eventmanager.png
(10.25 KiB) Downloaded 244 times

musher0

#7 Post by musher0 »

Careful dabbling with the fixPuppyPin line.

It's there because somehow the icons' position is calculated starting from
the right. I don't think it has any bearing when no pinboard is used.
However, if you remove or "remark" that line, you may scratch your head
for a bit when you'll want to come back to using another window manager.

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Yes that should do it...it may do as its told :D

The fix puppy pin unless its changed calculates icon positions based on the existence of the trash can one...think about that for a minute..

I rewrote it to use the actual screen dimensions but to be honest its no big deal to leave it out as its not exactly very clever in the first place.

mike

rufwoof

#9 Post by rufwoof »

necro bumping a old thread ...
but to be honest its no big deal to leave it out as its not exactly very clever in the first place.
I use jwm and rox, but more in their traditional style. Mostly code everything into ~/.jwmrc (repeated <StartupCommand>....</StartupCommand> 's for multiple things to be started when jwm is loaded ...etc.); And I use standard rox.

A rox panel is great as a program launcher as you can just drag/drop programs onto the panel, and rearrange them using the middle mouse drag/drop. Including AppDir's (special rox folders that contain a icon (.DirIcon) and script (AppRun) ... along with anything else that 'App' might use/need that isn't already included elsewhere). Some take AppDir's to the extreme and include entire environments and/or filesystems ... so for instance you could build a AppDir for libreoffice ...etc. Once built you can drag/drop and run AppDir's as though they were a single file/folder. AppDir's in the ROX panel means you can just drag/drop files onto that panel icon so that it opens up that file with that program. Rox is heavily into drag and drop.

The rox pinboard, typically called puppypin in Puppy linux can be any name. However Puppy has tended to steer that more towards single pinboard usage, which is a shame IMO. Whilst somewhat like a desktop in that you can drag/drop things (icons) onto the Pinboard, its not really a desktop in the more common sense. Its really better suited for grouping things. Personally I use multiple pinboards and switching between them is as simple as running rox -p <pinboardname>, so for instance I have one for music (rox -p music.pb i.e. my choice of name is music.pb), another for the car (rox -p car.pb) ... etc. On each of those you can drag/drop relevant files/programs/images/videos/whatever. For instance you might keep scans of your car test certificates (MOT's) and insurance papers, along with contact phone numbers, maybe some pictures .. whatever - and have all of those files that are perhaps located in a range of places in your file/folders/directories all readily to hand on the single pinboard.

You could for instance create a pinboard for each customer/client you might deal with, maybe naming them john.pb .... or whatever. So if they phone you you can rox -p john.pb and instantly switch to a desktop that you specifically have structured to be appropriate for dealing with that client, photos, family details, calendar events (spreadsheets, docs...etc.).

I only give my pinboard names a .pb suffix so that I can associate those, another way to open them i.e. create a mime type that associates .pb files to open/execute rox -p ... that file ... and if all your .pb files are in the same single folder you can quickly navigate to any one.

Such workflow benefits along with its drag/drop style are one of the great features of ROX. Whilst upstream development of ROX slowed to a crawl after years of development at a frantic pace (lead author Dr. Leonard had real-life encroach upon him) he was/is one of the chief architects of the freedesktop.org standards so ROX was well written and compliant ... worked well and continues to work well.

Attached snap of my main (default) desktop. Left screen edge is the rox panel to/from where I can just drag things (for instance grab one of those .conf files in the rox filer window and drag it over to the leaf icon in the rox panel to open that file using leafpad (text editor)). Bottom edge is the jwm panel, I like to keep mine mostly as a tray and tasklist. The time shown in that tray double acts as the MENU button. For volume control I just use a WIN up and down arrow key combination so I don't bother with a volume icon in the tray etc.

Flip to my music pinboard and that has a range of my recent listening list of mp4 files, along with a link to my main music folder and a mpv icon that I can drag music files onto as a addition/alternative to dragging files over to the rox-panel mpv icon.
Attachments
s.png
(254.73 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
m.png
(208.21 KiB) Downloaded 82 times

greengeek

#10 Post by greengeek »

Rufwoof - how did you get your icons placed off grid?