Applications-Package Manager

Booting, installing, newbie
serdal22

Applications-Package Manager

#1 Post by serdal22 »

Hello Everybody,

This is my first time using Puppy Linux. I am using Live version right now and have not installed it yet. Before doing so, I would like to ask a few questions, please:

1 - I am using Lucid Puppy Linux released in 08.2013. I can not see VLC, Devede, and Wine. Are these programs (Applications) already there but I can not, somehow, see?

2 - If these programs are not in the package, how can I get (Download / install) them?

3 - If I need to download them manually, am I going to look for deb or rpm or tar version?

4 - Is there any software (Package) selection that I can search and get these programs, such as Synaptic Package Manager?

5 - How can I convert my avi files into DVD and burn them so I can watch them in a regular DVD player? And how can I convert my avi or divx files into mpg4 or mpeg4 which my Playbook plays only?

I have been using Linux distros for 13 years, but I still consider myself a newbie. After using many Linux distros, I can say many latest Linux distros disappointed me for their non user friendliness. However, after trying (Live version, I have not installed it yet, but about to do so) Lucid Puppy Linux, I have hope once again.

Entire distribution is very fast. Internet is very fast and hassle free so far. I am very much impressed.

I even tried Calc, and it is also very impressive. The desktop icons and background colours are very nice as well.

Thanks in advance for your precious helps, and happy new year to you all . . .

Serdal
bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Welcome to the kennels :D

In the future, better to make a separate topic for each question. Much easier to follow and answer.

About adding programs and installing packages.
Running from a Puppy live CD/USB.
You need to do a shutdown and make a save file.
Boot using the save file.
The save file stores anything new you add to Puppy.

Like anything new you need to get some knowledge on how it works.

To start:

Basic info on installing additional programs.

First read this:
http://puppylinux.com/development/packa ... gement.htm
http://puppylinux.com/development/createpet.htm

Program packages need to be compiled for Puppy for the best chance to work. Puppy has it's own way of doing things.
Program packages are available in several ways. What you are looking for is probably available in one of them.

Puppy Package Manager, that is installed with the version of Puppy Linux you have, is the best place to get new programs. It will open, showing programs that are known to work on your version of Puppy.
1. Run Puppy Package Manager.
2. Left mouse click on a listed program.
3. Follow install directions
4. Program installs.

Depending on the version of Puppy you have, the package manager will have option to get packages from repositories other then Puppy repositories. The package manager will need to be configured for them.
This is how:
Run Puppy Package Manager (PPM)
Select configure package manager.
Select the repositories you want to show.
(Limited to 5 at one time)
Select update now.
After the update process, (it will take some time to update).
Close and restart PPM.
Should now see your new repositories at top of PPM window.
You then select the one you want to show in listings.
Note:
When getting packages from non-Puppy repositories, make sure you click on examine dependencies button (if offered) and download and install any identified as needed along with program package.

Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) section of this forum is the next best place to look. However, you must keep in mind that you will find programs that where originally compiled under a specific version of Puppy and they may or may not work with your version.
General rule is to read the posting for the program pet and see if there is any info that would indicate what version of Puppy it will work under.
Most of the stuff will work on a large portion of Puppies, but not 100% guaranteed.
You may find more then one version of a program. Sometimes that makes a difference.
1. Find a program you want.
2. Open the program thread.
3. find the link for downloading the program pet.
4. Left mouse click on the link
5. Follow the directions to either install or save.
(If you save the pet file you can install by viewing the pet file in Rox-Filer (file manager) and left click on it)

There is an updated newer version of Lucid Puppy you may want to use.
Get it here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)
serdal22

Downloading The Latest Lupu Distros Now.

#3 Post by serdal22 »

Dear Bigpup,

Thank you very much for these awesome infos you have provided.

I am downloading the latest version 5.2.8.6 now. I also saw this Lupulpus 5.2.8.6 which is larger in size of 538 MB. I wonder what the difference is between Lupu and Lupuplus. Well, I will try both of them very shortly.

Again, thank you very much for the precious helps. I will report back once I am done and start using this awesome distro.

Very best regards . . .

Serdal
bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

lupuplus is lupumini with added SFS files such as LibreOffice and java runtime (jre), to be copied to a frugal installation directory.
These added SFS program package files are why it is bigger than standard version. These are large programs packaged as SFS files.
You can control if these large programs get loaded or not.

http://puppylinux.com/development/packa ... gement.htm
SFS files are typically "combo packs" of applications, containing all packages needed for what is required. For example, there is a "mySQL-PHP-Apache" SFS module available. The really beautiful thing is, you just download it, select it in the BootManager, reboot, and its installed and ready to go. Don't want it anymore? -- either just delete the '.sfs' file or deselect it in the BootManager.

Another important point: no dependencies to worry about! If the SFS file is designed for your version of Puppy, then it will have all needed dependencies in it.

This is the most incredibly simple way to install (and uninstall) large combinations of packages.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)
serdal22

#5 Post by serdal22 »

Excellent info again, Bigpup. Thank you very much.

I followed your instructions and managed to download and install VLC! I guess I shouldn't call myself a newbie anymore~ 8) :idea:

Ok, I am reading the info you have provided about the SFS files.

And now I will search for some info on how to install Lupu 5.2.8.6. into my HD.

If I can not find sufficient info on the installation, I will start a new thread for that.

Once again, thank you very much for your precious helps. :)

Serdal
mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

This is the most incredibly simple way to install (and uninstall) large combinations of packages.
Bigpup I am slightly warmed by your remark... glad you see this so clearly :)

Its good for the little stuff too :)

Sorry to drop in...just had to say something

Nothing to add... Bigpup has covered the topic admirably as usual :)

regards

Mike
serdal22

#7 Post by serdal22 »

Dear Friends,

Thank you very much for your precious helps.

Ok, I finally managed to install Puppy Linux Precise 5.7.1 to my HD! As I mentioned before, there is no going back to other OSes and I will hang on to wonderful Linux OSes forever.

Now, what I did:

I watched two videos on youtube, first one was the installation process of Puppy Linux Slcacko 5.3.2.4. I couldn't install that Puppy to my HD.

Here is that video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxVOH3mo3Gw

And then I watched this video, took my notes, and I succeeded the installation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NutFVK-zYGo

I will continue writing more about my mistakes and how I corrected them.

Thank you all very much again, very best regards . . .

Serdal