Can't Boot Puppy's 32-bits but can 64-bits.

Using applications, configuring, problems
shagguar

Can't Boot Puppy's 32-bits but can 64-bits.

#1 Post by shagguar »

Hi, i just want to ask you how run puppy on a new i7 laptop with UEFI.
SIMPLE SITUATION:

-Laptop Intel I7, 8Gb RAM, video intel HD 3000.
-Dual boot made Win8(factory) + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
-Secure boot turned off in BIOS
-GRUB 1.99 installed by Ubuntu

So, with "Grub Customizer" in Ubuntu i made 3 additional entries:
Puppy Precise 5.7.1 + Fatdog64 + LightHouse64(beacuse someone said me that it will work). I always made my "frugal" installs that way (1º Ubuntu install & 2º Edut grub manually) and never had problems.

Resuming, Fatdog64 (on NTFS an EXT4 partition) & LightHouse (only NTFS) boots perfectly, but Puppy Precise (and others puppys 32-bit i tried), cant boot. Black screen (no message or nothing after GRUB), CPU & cooler at top...and nothing. All keys and combo keys (Alt-CTRL-F1 to F8; or CTRL-ALT-DEL) didnt- work.

SO... HOW CAN I RUN PUPPY ON THIS HARDWARE???
Should i think it's UEFI problem (because i think i skip it running Ubuntu GRUB and manual entries) or not?

Thanks

P.D.: In the entry os "Puppy Precise 5.7.1" i tried several 32-bits Puppies with the same result: Hangs the PC, Blackscreen and speed up of the cpu cooler...no key responds.

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

All I picked up on was the 64 bit pups supplied a key for UFEI but the 32 are not as yet.

Its not something I have investigated as new hardware is unlikely in this neck of the woods but I am curious...does bootmgr (windows bootloader) still exist and is used on the windows side...if so there may be a way around this...?

mike

Sylvander

#3 Post by Sylvander »

I have a 64-bit desktop PC...
Mobo = ASRock H61M-S with a UEFI BIOS...
8GB RAM
Bought in 2012
I've never had any problem running ANY Puppy 64-bit & 32-bit versions work OK.
Probably because the shop that sold it configured the BIOS in a suitable way. [It was sold with no OS installed]
I told the shop owner I'd be running Puppy on it and he said it would be OK, and it was.

Ted Dog

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

I replied why on your other post and have a request there too.

Ted Dog

#5 Post by Ted Dog »

mikeb wrote:All I picked up on was the 64 bit pups supplied a key for UFEI but the 32 are not as yet.

Its not something I have investigated as new hardware is unlikely in this neck of the woods but I am curious...does bootmgr (windows bootloader) still exist and is used on the windows side...if so there may be a way around this...?

mike
No windows bootloader like you're thinking from the days of MBR and BIOS. A folder called either EFI or BOOT have separate subfolders like WINDOWS and or GRUB and a choice is given to boot which ones. With Fatdog64 on a stick usb flashdrive dvd etc. The EFI loader takes USB over internal drive and only see Fatdog64 Grub2 style folder under EFI so it will jump rigbt into booting Fatdog64 via UEFI style folder with Grub aware of differences.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Ok so at what stage does windows take over from the bios...is that a better question...
Sounds like a progression of the grub2/bootmgr system but with a more sophisticated bios missing out the precarious mbr stage so not relying on the hard drive at a very low level. Just happens to throw in the option to ignore systems at the manufacturers descretion.

mike

Ted Dog

#7 Post by Ted Dog »

EFI folder can be very roomy Win8 laptop has 300M with so much room left over a unmodifed fatdog64 frugal install boots very fast in what is left over. Apples version of EFI is only 200M so some pruning has to be done....
Think of it as BIOS with all most all hardware drivers missing and Its only job is to find a folder named EFI in the earliest fat like partition. Hardware drivers are to be located within EFI folder along with one or more executables with EFI extension
In win8 case those executables must be signed or hand over control to a signed loader/kernel that is where the lockin was to occur. Only Masterkeys can sign the package and any sub key generated. Subkeys say like FatDogs main developer uses can be used to sign executables.
Im guessing that misused subkeys can be added to a block list like happens with BluRay subkeys. However there is a storage limit so I think only really bad misused keys will ever get that treatment.
Signed to hardware keys have a short and rocky history. It is only one of the thousands of ways hackers can messup hardware. Linux has never been used in its entirety as a virus.

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Ok thanks...just wanted some insight into this from a puppy viewpoint. Its probably going to be ten years before I come to face it at my present rate :D

mike

shagguar

#9 Post by shagguar »

Sylvander wrote:I have a 64-bit desktop PC...
Mobo = ASRock H61M-S with a UEFI BIOS...
8GB RAM
Bought in 2012
I've never had any problem running ANY Puppy 64-bit & 32-bit versions work OK.
Probably because the shop that sold it configured the BIOS in a suitable way. [It was sold with no OS installed]
I told the shop owner I'd be running Puppy on it and he said it would be OK, and it was.
Mmm, i would appreciate very much if you tell me/us how you did it because, as far as i know, puppy has not uefi support.
Maybe you can share your grub config.

Sylvander

#10 Post by Sylvander »

shagguar wrote:Maybe you can share your grub config.
I don't use grub; I boot various Puppy "live" CD-RW's, and each finds its' pupsave file on the internal SATA HDD.

shagguar wrote:Mmm, i would appreciate very much if you tell me/us how you did it because, as far as i know, puppy has not uefi support.
a. I made sure [checked] that the setting in the UEFI BIOS config settings...
Was set to...
I cannot remember what it is called, but it's something to do with "legacy"...
The old way of doing stuff.
With that configured...
b. All I had to do was boot my old Puppy CD-RW disks.
Only 1 of the 6 [that worked on the old hardware] worked [booted successfully] on the new hardware.
c. Once into that Puppy, I began searching for other Puppies that could successfully boot on the new hardware.
d. Here they are listed:
d1.Precise-5.6.1
d2. Lupusuper-5.2.8.6-20131012
d3. Slacko-5.5.91
d4. Dpup-Exprimo-5.x.3.4.2.8-scsi
d5. Racy-5.3
d6. Lina-003
d7. Lighthouse64-6.02-B2_Mariner [Multi-session DVD+RW]
d8. Precise-5.6.1 [Multi-session DVD+RW][used for banking only]
So Puppies with a newer kernel "just worked" with my new hardware and the UEFI BIOS. :D

shagguar

#11 Post by shagguar »

Sylvander wrote:1.
shagguar wrote:Maybe you can share your grub config.
I don't use grub; I boot various Puppy "live" CD-RW's, and each finds its' pupsave file on the internal SATA HDD.

shagguar wrote:Mmm, i would appreciate very much if you tell me/us how you did it because, as far as i know, puppy has not uefi support.
a. I made sure [checked] that the setting in the UEFI BIOS config settings...
Was set to...
I cannot remember what it is called, but it's something to do with "legacy"...
The old way of doing stuff.
With that configured...
b. All I had to do was boot my old Puppy CD-RW disks.
Only 1 of the 6 [that worked on the old hardware] worked [booted successfully] on the new hardware.
c. Once into that Puppy, I began searching for other Puppies that could successfully boot on the new hardware.
d. Here they are listed:
d1.Precise-5.6.1
d2. Lupusuper-5.2.8.6-20131012
d3. Slacko-5.5.91
d4. Dpup-Exprimo-5.x.3.4.2.8-scsi
d5. Racy-5.3
d6. Lina-003
d7. Lighthouse64-6.02-B2_Mariner [Multi-session DVD+RW]
d8. Precise-5.6.1 [Multi-session DVD+RW][used for banking only]
So Puppies with a newer kernel "just worked" with my new hardware and the UEFI BIOS. :D
THX, i will try them

shagguar

SOLVE? Kind off...

#12 Post by shagguar »

By reading a few pages, i arrived the conclusion that my Partitions Table (GPT Type) with UEFI only boots 64-bits SOs.

So, the only solution is to change GPT to MBR but it requires to wipe all data in HD. Kind of radical procedure, for now i'll keep with GTP and Lughthouse64 + Fatdog64 + Kubuntu.

If anyone have another solution, please post it.

THX to all!!!

jamesbond

#13 Post by jamesbond »

How to use Fatdog64's UEFI "bootloader" to boot Puppy: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=690810
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Ted Dog

#14 Post by Ted Dog »

cool lost that link...

shagguar

#15 Post by shagguar »

jamesbond wrote:How to use Fatdog64's UEFI "bootloader" to boot Puppy: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=690810
THX, i will try it and report here my results.