Midi over USB with Puppy 5.2.8

Booting, installing, newbie
Tuneturkey

Midi over USB with Puppy 5.2.8

#1 Post by Tuneturkey »

System Disc:
P4, 2.8mHz, 2Gig Ram, puppy 5.2.8
Application - jOrgan
Remote midi device; midibox Lpc-17 core.

Problem:
jOrgan talks (midi in and out)to the LPC17 over a USB connection.
Puppy seems to work fine, and mounts USB flash drives ok. however, jOrgan can't see the LPC-17, and no midi messages pass in or out.

Does puppy automatically recognize and communicate with remote midi devices, or does the user have to install jack, or something else.

Also, I want to install a program called mios studio which comes in a ZIP file. I unzipped it to the .opt folder, but thats as far as I can go. How do you install the program? The extracted file is not an executable it has .tar.gz or something like that. Please point me to a "how to"

Needless to say, I am a newbie to Linux!
Looking forward to some help!
Tuneturkey

Moose On The Loose

Re: Midi over USB with Puppy 5.2.8

#2 Post by Moose On The Loose »

Tuneturkey wrote:System Disc:
P4, 2.8mHz, 2Gig Ram, puppy 5.2.8
Application - jOrgan
Remote midi device; midibox Lpc-17 core.

Problem:
jOrgan talks (midi in and out)to the LPC17 over a USB connection.
Puppy seems to work fine, and mounts USB flash drives ok. however, jOrgan can't see the LPC-17, and no midi messages pass in or out
This part is a little out of my depth. Things like memory sticks are done with stuff that comes already in the system for Puppy-528. Midi is a different matter so stuff is likely to need to be installed. I'm sure others will look into this part.
Also, I want to install a program called mios studio which comes in a ZIP file. I unzipped it to the .opt folder, but thats as far as I can go. How do you install the program? The extracted file is not an executable it has .tar.gz or something like that. Please point me to a "how to"
Files that end tar.gz or tgz usually are a stored archive of several files. Click on the "file" icon in the upper left corner of your screen and using that browse your way to /opt and click on the .tar.gz file in question. You are likely to see an archive tool pop up and show you what is in the archive.

Chances are this archive will contain many files. You can extract them and put them using the archive tool. Chances are there will be files that want to go into /usr/local/bin and some that go into /usr/local/lib and others that go in /user/local/share

As a general rule:
If it goes into /usr/local/bin it is an actual program that will be run later

If it goes into /usr/local/lib it is a collection of small code sections that will be used by something from /usr/local/bin

If it goes into /usr/local/share it is data such as a font or an icon or example or the like that is not actual code.

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

It may need an alsa/midi driver loading or there may not be one.
I would poke around the kernel sound folder in /lib/modules and see if anything resembles a midi usb driver....I did not see one but i am using something different.

Otherwise google for the hardware and linux and see if you get clues that way....or perhaps a driver source.

You may have to build a specific driver anyway...need devx and the overgrown kernel sources to do that.

mike

Hotdog

#4 Post by Hotdog »

Tuneturkey,

A good first stop for working with MIDI on Linux is http://www.midi-howto.com/. Some information there will help with MIDI on Linux in general. Most of what appears there will also apply to Puppy 5.2.8. Puppy does not have an intrinsic MIDI handler per se. MIDI gets handled indirectly via ALSA, for example, and whatever other programs that your specific applications may use.

As for MIDI over USB, USB is just another 'connecting wire' and invisible as long as the external device(s) and the software applications support it. In your specific instance that should be true.
[i]Puppy 5.2.8.7, Full Install[/i]