Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
fredx181

#1681 Post by fredx181 »

Hi William
I think it would be good to include this script in /opt/bin. It is the kind of commandline utility Puppy users have become used to having - like dir2pet.
Yes, and implement this as a right-click option in the menu of xfe or rox would be nice.

Fred
saintless

#1682 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Anyway I'm sure update-menus will NOT run with every dependency..
Just with a package that needs an entry in the menu.
Yes, Fred. Further check shows I'm not right. Update-menus runs 2 times for gftp and 2 times for Transmission which has much more dependencies.
I guess we do not have a problem then and update-menus link for mk-menus and fixmenus is ok.
Yes, and implement this as a right-click option in the menu of xfe or rox would be nice.
I will think about how to implement it this way. I already made single deb and multiple debs right click install option for Rox. I guess the same way will work.

Toni
fredx181

#1683 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni
I will think about how to implement it this way. I already made single deb and multiple debs right click install option for Rox. I guess the same way will work.
I know almost nothing about Rox, is it possible to set custom action to a directory.?
If it is, then the deb-buiding could be done with right-click on folder but probably then all directoriies will show the option "build-deb" on right-click menu.
Anyway the script will give message when it's not a suitable debian-package-directory.
But if an extension is needed I can make the script so that the "extracted-from-deb" folders have an extension, like ".xdeb" or something.
Hope I'm clear, difficult to explain.

You remind me of transmission; I've been working on a small portable
The one from Wheezy is working fine but far to big.(mostly because of gtk3).
Took Transmission-2.31 from here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38969
In the past I had bad experiences with transmission.
Downloading not starting or very slow.
But this build works OK for me.
It depends on curl and a symlink libpcre.so.0
So to make it work:

Code: Select all

apt-get install curl
cd /lib/i386-linux-gnu/
ln -s libpcre.so.3 libpcre.so.0
transmission-2.31.tar.gz:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByBgCD ... sp=sharing

Fred
Mark_C

#1684 Post by Mark_C »

I am having some trouble with Porteus and one of the older computers I have.
Its a Pentium 4 2.4 with 512meg ram with the Intel 82845G video card.
Once I get to a desktop the computer will lock up within a few minutes, even if I do nothing on it.
I'm thinking its the video card since these cards have had problems in the past with Linux.
Is there any boot codes that can be entered that might allow the computer to not lock up or maybe a config file that can be edited?
saintless

#1685 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
I know almost nothing about Rox, is it possible to set custom action to a directory.?
Yes, it is possible but I can't make redeb work the way you suggest. Probably I do something wrong.
If redeb script + some.deb is in /live/image/test folder for example running:

/live/image/test/redeb some.deb 
gives error message "some.deb no such file or directory".
But if I place redeb in /opt/bin
and run it this way:

redeb /live/image/test/some.deb
it works fine except the output folder and new builded forlder containing new some.deb package are placed in /root
Can you, please, test if this is the same with you, Fred. and if you can see something wrong in my actions with redeb?
So to make it work:

apt-get install curl
cd /lib/i386-linux-gnu/
Thank you! I was thinking to check out available CLI and GUI torrent programs for Debian but small working Transmission is good solution.

Toni
sunburnt

#1686 Post by sunburnt »

Fred; Yes it`s a Bacon file. I see how it jumps between functions to write the menu files.
It`s complex overkill, so it`s difficult to see how it makes the menu from all the files used.

# Like my setup, look at the jwmrc file it makes. If it looks right, then it`s not the problem.
If the jwmrc file does not look right, then post the file you get, and tell me what`s wrong.

I found a quicker way to generate the menu, one egrep command replaces the loop.

Toni; Your new jwm file probably was not made with the libs I listed installed first.?
DebianDog has none of them. Readme says if the libs are there, jwm is compiled with them.

# But no matter. A clean flicker-free refresh of JWM`s menu is probably not that important.

Toni; Your first example has no path for the some.deb file, that`s why it uses $HOME
It should be:

/live/image/test/redeb /live/image/test/some.deb 
You need to change to the some.deb dir so it will be the current dir.

Try this to get the new folder/deb in the same dir as some.deb ( redeb in /opt/bin )

cd /live/image/test ; redeb /live/image/test/some.deb
So Add this to redeb ( $1 = /path/some.deb ):

cd "${1%/*}"
saintless

#1687 Post by saintless »

Hi, Terry.
Toni; Your new jwm file probably was not made with the libs I listed installed first.?
DebianDog has none of them. Readme says if the libs are there, jwm is compiled with them.
It is compiled will all the libs you listed but they have different numbers at the end of the name file if you download them with apt-get. I checked them one by one with apt-get search lib-name. and apt-get install lib-name. I guess the number shows new version. I don't know if different version of libs matters.
Toni; Your first example has no path for the some.deb file, that`s why it uses $HOME
Thank you, Terry. I guess I misunderstood something in Fred's explanation how to use the script.

Toni
fredx181

#1688 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni
If redeb script + some.deb is in /live/image/test folder for example running:
Code:
/live/image/test/redeb some.deb
I think that's normal you get error because you probably did not open the terminal in /live/image/test but in /root and "some.deb" is not in /root I assume.
redeb /live/image/test/some.deb
it works fine except the output folder and new builded forlder containing new some.deb package are placed in /root
Yes, my bad, add a line to cd to directory just under FILE=$1 at beginning so it becomes:

FILE=$1
cd "`dirname $FILE`"
Edited also my post on previous page with changed code.
Hope it's OK now.

Fred
saintless

#1689 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Fred.
Going out for a few hours. I will test it tonight.

Toni
saintless

#1690 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:

FILE=$1
cd "`dirname $FILE`"
Thank you, Fred.

Works fine this way and we have now in Rox right click extract-deb-package for .deb files. And create-deb-package from folder + redeb gives message if the folder does not contain files for debian package.
In Xfe right click Open on deb package extracts the content in the same folder. I can't find a way to set run actions for folder in Xfe but it is OK as it is now.

Toni
saintless

#1691 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:You remind me of transmission; I've been working on a small portable
The one from Wheezy is working fine but far to big.(mostly because of gtk3).
So to make it work:

apt-get install curl
cd /lib/i386-linux-gnu/
Thanks, Fred, transmission works well from quick test.
I will test it some more but since it will add only 1,5Mb to the system I will include it in DebianDog. I just will try to change libcrypto and libssl with debian official libs if I can,
Do you see any problem if I use executable transmission-gtk as simlink in /opt/bin and no-debian libs in /opt/lib (if I can't replace them with debian libs) instead exporting paths with transmission script in your archive?

Toni
fredx181

#1692 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni
Do you see any problem if I use executable transmission-gtk as simlink in /opt/bin and no-debian libs in /opt/lib (if I can't replace them with debian libs) instead exporting paths with transmission script in your archive?
No , I don't expect problems when you do that.
The libs are official debian but from squeeze.
I just didn't want to "cheat" so I made libs isolated.
btw, why a symlink? I'd say just put transmission-gtk in /opt/bin then.

fred
fredx181

#1693 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All
Here's portable pure-ftpd for testing
Basically it's taken from here by GuestToo:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=12859
But I added some options using yad for:
- Choice of directory to share
- Give a custom ftp username and password.
- Choice for anonymous support or not.
When choosing anonymous still the user may get a prompt for password.
Leaving it empty and click OK should work then.
When using the default: (username: ftpuser password: dog)
Test it then in address bar of your browser (may not work with the terrible h3v browser :wink: )

ftp://ftpuser:dog@127.0.0.1/
pure-FTP.zip (see attached)
EDIT: New revision uploaded with some fixes and better support for anonymous user.
EDIT2 2014-03-08 : again new revision uploaded with completetely different setup.
Hopefully less confusing.

Fred
Attachments
pureFTP.zip
(172.75 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 08 Mar 2014, 18:13, edited 3 times in total.
joewing

#1694 Post by joewing »

saintless:
As far as icons in JWM are concerned, JWM 2.2.1 should support all of the formats as JWM 2.1 and more. When compiling you need to have the *-dev libraries installed for JWM to use the libraries.
There was an issue where JWM didn't support XBM icons (not XPM, which JWM has always supported), but it does in the latest release, not that I would expect XBM icons are very common.

I seem to recall a question about when JWM loads its configuration file. JWM only loads the configuration file on startup or when restarting. It will also load it on "-reload", but it won't update everything (only the menus). I may change this in the future to update more.

As far as using JWM v2.1 vs. a newer release, I obviously have a bias, but I would support using a v2.2.1. JWM v2.1 is a few years old at this point and has a lot of bugs. On the other hand, the JWM 2.1 bugs are mostly known. Unfortunately, I haven't spoke with the Debian package maintainer for JWM in awhile, so I don't know if its likely that JWM will be updated there soon. I'll try to reach out to him.

- Joe
saintless

#1695 Post by saintless »

Hi, Joe.
joewing wrote:When compiling you need to have the *-dev libraries installed for JWM to use the libraries.
Thank you for the explanation! It was my first trial. I will compile it again with the -dev libs installed also and see if this solves the icon issue.
I thought v.2.1 can't be so old if it is in stable and testing debian repoes.. It will be very good if Debian team comes up with official latest Jwm package.

Toni
saintless

#1696 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Hi All
Here's portable pure-ftpd for testing
Thank you, Fred!
I will test it today.
About Transmission - we started to put non-debian apps in separate folder in /opt/apps and simlinking the executables in /opt/bin. We keep /opt/bin only for self-made scripts. Terry suggested this structure to have easy way to remove non-debian apps if we need later.

Toni
saintless

#1697 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Joe :)
Xpm and Jpg icons now showing with v.2.2.1.

Here is new testing Jwm-v.2.2.1.deb package:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/ ... 1_i386.deb
Just install on top of Jwm-v.2.1 exit x and start x again.

Terry, still no most of the submenu program icons with your previous mk-menus but I guess it is not connected with the compiling method?
With the last mk-menus the submenu icons are there except some programs get home icon.

Toni
saintless

#1698 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Test it then in address bar of your browser (may not work with the terrible h3v browser :wink: )

ftp://ftpuser:dog@127.0.0.1/
Sorry, Fred. H3V is choice of smaller browser but I see now dillo opens ftp and h3v can't. I just do not like to force users to use iceweasel or other big browser.

Question to all interested:
Can you please test:

apt-get install dillo
It opens ftp.
and

apt-get install netsurf
Netsurf is two times smaller than h3v but also seems not to open ftp.

Infact we can have Netsurf + Dillo for the same size H3V adds to DebianDog.

Toni
fredx181

#1699 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni
About Transmission - we started to put non-debian apps in separate folder in /opt/apps and simlinking the executables in /opt/bin. We keep /opt/bin only for self-made scripts.
Ah, I see why now.

Here's new revision of pure-FTP with some fixes and extra support for anonymous user (see attached, also edited my post on previous page).
Please test this one, the previous had some bugs.

I'll test the other browsers later today.

EDIT 2014-03-08 : new revision uploaded with completetely different setup.
Hopefully less confusing.

Fred
Attachments
pureFTP.zip
(172.75 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 08 Mar 2014, 18:14, edited 2 times in total.
saintless

#1700 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Here's new revision of pure-FTP with some fixes and extra support for anonymous user (see attached, also edited my post on previous page).
Please test this one, the previous had some bugs.
Thank you, Fred.
I use only Gftp client to upload files on smokey01.com and I'm not sure I do the test right but here is the result from pure-ftp:

1. On the same computer I choose the default /root folder and ftpuser with password dog + checked annonimous user.
The ftp starts.
Typing in Seamonkey and Dillo ftp://ftpuser:dog@127.0.0.1/ I get to working page "index of ftp://ftpuser@127.0.0.1/ but I don't see any files or folders.
Creating new files in /root does not change this.
If I stop pure-ftp and reload the page I get error message the page can not be found so it is working.

2. From another computer I type in Firefox v.3.6: ftp://ftpuser:dog@192.168.100.4/ and I get to page
"Index of ftp://ftpuser@192.168.100.4/" but still no files or folders there.

I know I do something wrong and I have to share the files to be visible somehow because I get the same behaviour from puppy with pure-ftp built-in package.

BTW is it possible Pure-ftp to be used as ftp-client to upload files on smokey01.com for example like Gftp? I guess not because puppy has both pure-ftp + Gftp included as default.

Toni