need an undelete program to recover directory

Using applications, configuring, problems
nubc

need an undelete program to recover directory

#1 Post by nubc »

I accidentally deleted a week's work, a folder with hundreds of files. I need an undelete program to recover my data. Running Wary 5.1.2 full install, with ext3 file system.
Last edited by nubc on Sun 30 Mar 2014, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

This should be OK on 512 >> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk. PhotoRec for ext3. Read-up!

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

This is also an excellent piece of software and yes it is a windows program...

http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-recovery/

it saved my bacon after deleting a whole partition ...

mike

nubc

#4 Post by nubc »

Thanks so much for your responses. Gives me hope that this situation might be overcome.
1. Does one of the Linux forensic specialty distros have an undelete or recovery program? I sure would prefer to do this from a live CD, and not have to pull the drive out.

2. mikeb, do I have to pull the drive and install it into a Windows box in order to use the Linux recovery program you suggest?

3. What about UBCD or Tom's Boot Disk or Hiren's Boot Disk, do any of these have a recovery/ undelete program?

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

"THIS" you can run from a live boot. Mikes suggestion works from Windows.

nubc

#6 Post by nubc »

Okay, I am running PhotoRec from TestDisk 6.14, but I'm not sure to what device I should copy the data, because PhotoRec sees only sda, one big partition. It is emphasized in the docs that the data must be copied to a location/drive/ partition that is different from the location of the deleted data. There are separate partitions listed but they are identified exactly the same, the only exception being that the first item has '>' to the left of it. If Wary is on sda1 and the data on sda2, can I copy data to sda1, or do I need to copy it to a USB thumb drive? Any suggestions, clarifications welcome.

nubc

#7 Post by nubc »

Took about 2 hours. I have now used PhotoRec to rescue files. However, some files do not play, and all file names (titles) have been lost and replaced with arbitrary numbers. This is not entirely satisfactory because it will take me a full day to re-discover titles and other identifying info. There may be losses as well. From the time duration of the rescue I am guessing that ddrescue was the command being used for copying undeleted files.

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

hmm yes if thats the only way to get it to something with windows then yes. I have myself one of those ide/sata to usb adapters and they are worth their weight in gold at times like this.

There is also debugfs that the bigger distros have but again you get a pile of nameless files with dates as the only clue.

With the windows program it did somehow get files with names though with a whole partition there would still be a pile of garbage from data thats been deleted and partially ovewritten... unavoidable really.

In my case most data had been backed up and i was only recovering files from a week or so which helped the whole process.

mike

nubc

#9 Post by nubc »

Puppy needs a trash can strategy similar to Windows, that gives a second chance to save accidentally deleted files. You can delete the file without stripping off the header, and then complete the deletion by emptying trash can.
'Delete to Trash Can' and 'Empty Trash' commands should be available from right-click context menu.
Last edited by nubc on Sun 30 Mar 2014, 11:51, edited 5 times in total.

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

Hmm Xfce4s trash can works just like windows... I expect other window managers do too

mike

jtwdyp

#11 Post by jtwdyp »

nubc wrote:Puppy needs a trash can strategy similar to Windows, that gives a second chance to save accidentally deleted files. You can delete the file without stripping off the header, and then complete the deletion by emptying trash can.
I beg to differ. One of the things I hate about windows is it's insistence on using it's trashcan. When I delete something I don't want to have to go look in some special folder and delete it again just to get rid of it. I mean if I wasn't sure I wanted it to cease to exist, I'd have merely moved or renamed it...
'Delete to Trash Can' and 'Empty Trash' commands should be available from right-click context menu.
OK I guess an OPTIONAL right click menu choice wouldn't be so bad. But I'd be more comfortable with such a thing if it's menu label/name/description said: "MOVE to Trash Can." instead. Though I'd want there to be only one trashcan, rather than one on each and every writable filesystem.

When it comes down to "accidental" deletions, It's because I don't expect my GUI to save me from myself that I've learned to "think" before deleting. And if there is something so important that I can't afford to lose it to a typo, then it's something I need to think about including in an backing-up strategy...
mikeb wrote:Hmm Xfce4s trash can works just like windows... I expect other window managers do too
Actually though, isn't that really a feature of the "file manager" component? I mean, I've used Xfce before, and I sure don't remember it interfering with anything I deleted with Midnight Commander or via CLI.
[color=brown][size=67]
--
JtWdyP

[/size][/color]

bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

nubc wrote:Puppy needs a trash can strategy similar to Windows, that gives a second chance to save accidentally deleted files. You can delete the file without stripping off the header, and then complete the deletion by emptying trash can.
If you delete by moving (dragging) a file to the "trash icon" on the desktop.
Nothing is deleted, yet. Only moved.
Right click on icon
Get choice to empty the trash
Look in the trash

Or Click on the "trash icon" to see contents in Rox file manager window.

To recover a trashed item:
looking at trash contents in Rox file manager window.
Right click on a file
You will get option to restore trashed item.
If you choose restore
It will place item back in original location fully restored.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

nubc

#13 Post by nubc »

Thanks for your comments, jtwdyp, you make some good points. I would certainly prefer 'Move to Trash Can' over my hastily composed terminology. I've never really liked the constant tedium of clearing desktop, dragging files with millimeter accuracy, resizing directories, aligning directories in order to move files around, and have always preferred to use context menu (Copy & Paste, Delete) to accomplish transfers. But Puppy is such a wonderful OS, I have learned to live with the inconvenience. I once tried to use Trash Can in my routine and found it mostly unsatisfactory.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1124890781
Good for you, that you don't make serious mistakes like accidental deletion. I might be able to say the same, if I used my computer normally, but I don't use it normally. I push performance limits of the computer, and myself. When I accidentally deleted the directory, I had just pulled an all-nighter, 8 consecutive hours of translating Chinese titles. Translating Chinese to English presents some problems of syntax (word order) and meaning which often require extra research and educated guessing. After 8 hours of this activity I admit I was bleary-eyed and not operating at 100%. But I had a deadline, a morning deadline. Morning is not my favorite time of the day. Exactly when that deadline came due, I made a folder transfer that failed because there wasn't enough disk space on the destination drive, wasting another 5 minutes. When confronted with this situation, I usually delete the incompletely transferred file, make more space by judicious deletions, and try again. I was in a hurry and I deleted the source folder in sda2 instead of the incomplete destination folder in sdb1. I recognized the mistake the moment I clicked Delete, because I have dreaded for years making such a mistake. The doublecheck came after the fact, regrettably. Then I had to drop everything, and go to work (job). I just barely had enough time to post my problem in the forum. This is a very inopportune time to make THE mistake, because I lost all the Chinese-English title translations. All that painstaking work will have to be done over if I don't recover the source folder. I will speculate that if wasn't dragging data with Rox filer, having two similar directories open on desktop, both with the same identically named folder, I would not have made such a mistake.

MEDITATION: Just what I need in a clutch: an unforgiving operating system (GUI) that assumes I'm perfect, that I don't make mistakes.
Last edited by nubc on Mon 31 Mar 2014, 06:39, edited 5 times in total.

nubc

#14 Post by nubc »

Wow, Linux Recovery from Windows is really slow. I tried to speed up the search, but none of the parameters provided by the wizard ('Disable search by signatures' to 'Custom search') changed speed or number of files/folders found. Extrapolates to be about 10 hours to scan this partition. At 10% the program has found 850 folders and 35,000 files, which extrapolates to 8500 folders and 350,000 files. This seems absurd because I have only been using the hard drive for about two weeks. The program searches unused disk space, doesn't it?

Has anyone ever used Recuva? Takes about 5 minutes to undelete a file in NTFS.

Semme

#15 Post by Semme »

Doesn't appear to be Linux compatible. Other choices are Scalpel and R-Studio.

mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

hmm well it seems to analyse the disk and make the best guess for every bit of data there..... so the number exceeds the actual number of files present...similar to the results i got with photorec but with names.

When I did something similar I was disappointed with the options for ext file systems and it did save my bacon if somewhat slowly.

I also fully agree about rox...its method of file copying is simply too precarious...one wrong move and you are all over the place and deletions are final. And yes when you are a little weary it happens. Finally it had this habit of crashing in large folders which makes it useless for serious windows file recovery. But I am sure the fanboys will protest... right click true copy and paste has a solid and secure feel, I don't make mistakes with it and i don't have to play juggle the file manager windows. The latter is also the reason I too end up deleting in the wrong folder since its all too easy to get your location mixed up...a navigation pane leaves no doubt and also mean just the one window handles the job just fine.

In my case I use Thunar when I need to do SERIOUS work. I am not perfect and some data IS important and in such cases ROX is an accident waiting to happen.

mike

jtwdyp

#17 Post by jtwdyp »

nubc wrote:Thanks for your comments, jtwdyp, you make some good points. I would certainly prefer 'Move to Trash Can' over my hastily composed terminology. I've never really liked the constant tedium of clearing desktop, dragging files with millimeter accuracy, resizing directories, aligning directories in order to move files around, and have always preferred to use context menu (Copy & Paste, Delete) to accomplish transfers. But Puppy is such a wonderful OS, I have learned to live with the inconvenience. I once tried to use Trash Can in my routine and found it mostly unsatisfactory.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1124890781
Good for you, that you don't make serious mistakes like accidental deletion.
Oh I wouldn't say I've never goofed. And I'll admit the end_of_all_nighter such as you described wouldn't have given me any time to add the new files to a backup strategy...{which I'll confess I only bother with for really critical stuff} But most of the bleary eyed sudden loss of new data experiences I've had had more to do with not having an UPS on my desktop...
I will speculate that if wasn't dragging data with Rox filer, having two similar directories open on desktop, both with the same identically named folder, I would not have made such a mistake.
Ouch! sorry for your loss...

The drag n drop method seems less than ideal to me to. I'll agree that putting the choice in the right-click menu would make for a better method.
MEDITATION: Just what I need in a clutch: an unforgiving operating system (GUI) that assumes I'm perfect, that I don't make mistakes.
Still, I suspect that you can get {and use} an alternative to rox for most file management chores that does offer such a choice in it's right click menu. I'm pretty sure that it's the file manager component that does that.

And I think I saw something about there being a patched version of rox around somewhere...
[color=brown][size=67]
--
JtWdyP

[/size][/color]

nubc

#18 Post by nubc »

DiskInternals Linux Recovery 4.2 has crashed at 37% complete.

mikeb

#19 Post by mikeb »

curious... how big is the drive and is it really brand new?

mike

nubc

#20 Post by nubc »

Partition being analyzed is 1842 GB.