Connecting a puppy linux and xp computer via dsl? SOLVED

Using applications, configuring, problems
fitzhugh

Connecting a puppy linux and xp computer via dsl? SOLVED

#1 Post by fitzhugh »

Ok, I must start by admitting that I am very ignorant about all things to do with networking, so while I often can figure out things for myself, or with a little nudging, in this case I don't know where to begin and would appreciate some basic newbie-ish level help.

I'm staying for a few weeks at a house with dsl and an existing XP computer. I have my puppy linux computer with me (2.11). I need to get both machines on the internet via the existing sbc DSL connection. Both computers have just the regular ethernet cards.

Edit: oops, hadn't even thought clearly: the dsl modem uses the ethernet port, of which there is but one on each machine. Kinda need to get a router, huh? I'll leave the orig post below for background, but essentially I guess I need to know what to look for in choosing a router, if that is really what I need. Or can I just toss in a second ethernet card, since they are to be found everywhere? What is the cheapest way to get both computers online? This is very temporary so I'd like to throw as little money at it as possible. /Edit

I think this is where IP Masquerading comes in, right? If so, how hard is it to configure? Am I right in also assuming that, as with most everything, I want to rely on linux to do the actual work and let xp do nothing much useful at all, just connect through the puppy machine?

I usually love tweaking and playing around with puppy, learning as I go. In this case, as has been the case for a little while now, I'm just too swamped to do so to the extent I'd like, so I'd appreciate some initial pointers to get me going. More than that, however, is the problem that I really can't spend much time at all online until I get my puppy linux computer online since the xp machine is used heavily throughout the day and evening. I certainly don't mind rtfming, but want to make sure I am not barking up the wrong tree. Add to that my complete lack of clues regarding networking and I'm in need of a kickstart.

Thanks!
Last edited by fitzhugh on Thu 09 Nov 2006, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

Gn2

#2 Post by Gn2 »

If using a hardware router - All machines can connect to the Web without any other being on.

The router is the gateway & resolves DNS addresses.
Most also have NAT (Name Address Translation) which in itself is added security0
Since from the Web - the only address seen is the gateway (router) _ acting as a "proxy"
Most also have built -in software firewalls - - can be password protected -& are usually easiest to configure without prior advanced IP rules savvy

If any computer is setup as the gateway (in effect becoming the "router") -
Others must use own static numerical web address:
Most secure would be to use a Linux box as gateway
Which also requires the gateway box to have another NIC card/driver

One to WEB - other to Lan boxes

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ie=IS ... arch&meta=

pmshah

#3 Post by pmshah »

You can also find dsl modem, router & a 4 port 10/100 switch rolled into one. You can then gat rid of a whole lot of lose wiring.

Check out NetGear & D-Link sites.

SnowDog

#4 Post by SnowDog »

fitzhugh,
The absolute cheapest thing I know to do, would be to install a second ethernet card in the XP box, enable internet sharing and use a crossover cable to connect to your linux box.
As described by previous poster's though, this isn't the most secure way, just the cheapest.

I'm assuming that you want to leave the XP box more or less un-modified when you go home?

I don't know how to use Puppy as the first link in that chain - (unfortunately, because that would be more secure), but depending on where you are, you should be able to grab a used 10 base T ethernet card for about $1 and you can build your own crossover cable by re-routing the wires in a regular one.
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.

fitzhugh

#5 Post by fitzhugh »

Thanks for all the above advice. I found a router on craigslist for $6, and the guy also has an ergonomic (split) keyboard which he'll throw in for $3, and a couple of ethernet and power cables for free. This is GREAT! I need a new ergonomic keyboard because regular ones cause severe pain after just a few minutes of use (years and years of typing in wrong positions did my wrists some nasty damage) and my ex-housemate's dog PEED on my old keyboard and ruined it! That, and I left the power and ethernet cables behind in the move (oops - never thought I'd be without POWER cables... seems like I always have at least 10 extra lying around - but not now). Since I'm already going to go there I might as well grab the router too since I'd spend more than that on any other approach.

I'd ask the order of wires for rewiring an ethernet cable - certainly sounds like the cheapest way as well as being rather easy - only I don't know where my soldering iron is. Moving is a PAIN.

I appreciate all the help :)

Oh yeah, the router is a Netgear RT314 - an older model no longer made, but is there any reason it wouldn't work for this application? I can't think of any, but then again, I wouldn't know.
Details:
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/RT314.asp

raffy

auto sharing

#6 Post by raffy »

That may be one of those routers able to do automatic internet connection sharing.

In that case, all you need are straight-through ethernet cables (the regular ones) connecting each PC to the router, and you'll have no need for cross-over cable (for PC-to-PC connection).
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Gn2

#7 Post by Gn2 »

straight-through ethernet cables (the regular ones)
Your supplier will know - they are RJ45 cables: Approx one-buck-fifty CDN $ for 20 FT)

Good thing too - the wires are so miniscule, you havva terrible time trying to work w/them !

All routers will use auto dhcp broadcasting once eth config is eabled by Puppies' wizardy

SnowDog

#8 Post by SnowDog »

fitzhugh.
Gn2 makes a good point.
Hacking an ethernet cable really shouldn't be done with a soldering iron.
Sorry, I wasn't reall thinking before I typed that. There's a tool used to attach the new RJ plug to the end. If you can get a pre-made crossover cable, it will save you a headache.

If you want to know how anyway, just google for crossover pin-out.

The router should do the trick anyway, then you can use a straight cable.
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.

fitzhugh

#9 Post by fitzhugh »

To make the idea of soldering a cable absolutely absurd it seems the only soldering iron here is one of those large heavy duty contractor types with two large wires meeting at the tip, rather than a precision pencil kind. It looks like it is meant to solder ship hulls together! I know those things are impossible to work with. I've soldered many tiny pieces together in the past with varying results, so yeah, I'll go with a router.

That leaves the question I really should have asked... instead of asking about that one specific router, I should have asked what to look for. I think I may have noticed recently that network cards and such are faster than they used to be, but these computers have just the old standard 10/100Mbps cards. I found a new router at Fry's (God I hate shopping there, but they are cheap!) for $25US, cheaper than most used ones.
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3237271
D-Link DI-704P 4-Port Cable/DSL Router

Is there anything I should avoid or specifically look for? Is this one so cheap cause it is really useful only as a paperweight?

Thanks

Gn2

#10 Post by Gn2 »

Nothing really to beware of - all have come down remarkably in price now that wireless is "touted" everywhere,

It's more of a market saturation thing - to attact new buyers into "upgrading" they need bells & whistles.

10/100 is the standard of most all

Smc has a good inexpensive line, but nothing wrong with D-link wired products.

Notice that one even has a printer server -
At one time you paid through the nose for such an "extra"

I have an expensive (at the time) 3com NIC card -
then later bought TWO SMC cards (tulip chip) at $9.98 each - End price of all including some extra rj45 cabling -
was less than one third of 3com's original purchase.
Technology changes so rapidly in computerdom - 1 Yr old is
just so much shelf space stock to clear out.

Does Fry's have a return policy ?
Purchasing on-line can be a Prob. if unit is faulty (happens)

Happy shopping.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#11 Post by GuestToo »

i have a D-Link DI-704P ... it always worked well, never any problems, except the power supply stopped working ... d-links have poor power supplies ... you can replace the power supply with a generic one of approximately the right voltage (and polarity) ... sometimes routers that don't work reliably work well if you replace the power supply

i saw a picture of a d-link router somewhere with a case fan glued to the top ... the idea was to convert the router to an "ultra-reliable" router

one feature of the d-link 704 is that you can use straight cables or crossed cables, the d-link doesn't care which type they are, just plug them in and they work

d-link's aren't the best routers to buy, but as i said, i had no problems with mine except for the power supply ... linksys are probably better, but would be more expensive

SnowDog

#12 Post by SnowDog »

fitzhugh,

Not sure about where you are, but here in Northern Canada, I use generic brand wireless routers (cheap) hooked up to a box which serves as dhcp server. These are really cheap and seem reliable enough for my requirements.
This way I have 4 ports for cables to other boxes, plus wireless for any laptops I use for net access.
This might be something for you to consider (wireless router) because it gives you what you want (ethernet ports), plus later if you want you can upgrade to wireless cards in other machines or laptops you want to share it with.

Wireless is a whole other conversation though, which I will avoid for lack of experience, except to say that I've had a hell of a time getting certain Linksys cards to work in Puppy. Lots of others here will be able to help you with that.

fitzhugh

#13 Post by fitzhugh »

More good info - thanks.

I had assumed the wireless routers did NOT have ethernet ports in them, so had not looked. I don't see any need for wireless anytime soon for this place, but will see if it is not too much more.

Fry's does have a return policy - any reason within 30 days as long as it is in good shape (packaging not destroyed), but are hell if you want ANY customer service. This page has been up for at least a decade, and it captures the reality perfectly (a few elements are local silicon valley humor, like lozano's carwash - just a few blocks from the Palo Alto fry's location, but check it out)...
http://braith.best.vwh.net/frys.htm
No, it is not nice, but neither is shopping at fry's. The ONLY people there who will not pretend not to notice you are the guards who check every bag at the door. PRISONS have better customer service. But, hey, I wanna cheap router so I should stop complaining and head to Fry's. It just means I ask y'all my questions instead of trying to ask someone there.

SnowDog

#14 Post by SnowDog »

Funny link there fitzhugh.
The only FRY's they have out here in the bush is the potato kind.
There's a WalMart and a Raio Shack that I'm sure must hire from the same labor pool though.

Our worst is a private computer shop. There's a huge guy behind the counter that I swear must smoke crack all day long to get to look as freaky as he does.

For comparisons sake, My generic router was $29, two wireless PCMCIA cards were $10 each and a few cables and network card cost about $5.

I have a Linksys wireless router (like the one you'll see at fry's for about $55, but besides the little auto-setup button, it doesn't seem to work any better or worse than the cheap ones do.

fitzhugh

#15 Post by fitzhugh »

Ended up getting a linksys BEFSR41. It was OVERPRICED for $40.

Plugged in the power, the ethernet to the dsl modem and computer, then tried to call it up through the browser to configure it. Only the browser loaded with all the pages that were loaded when it was last closed, and the WORKED... as in NO setup, configuration, etc. What is really odd is I didn't even give it my username or password for my dsl account, but it clearly got everything from the computer - this was the xp box. When I next attached my puppy it too worked great, really just opened the wizard and told it to get IP from DHCP and that was it.

The refurbished netgear I tried was hell - never could get it to work and I am pretty sure it was just stuck in a box and put on the shelf after being returned as broken - happens all rthe time at frys and I should have known better from my own problems with them in the past.

:)

SnowDog

#16 Post by SnowDog »

Right on fitzhugh!
May I suggest that you edit your original post's subject to include the word (solved)?
This way anyone else wanting the same infor can get a quick answer on what works for that purpose.

One more thing you may want to include somewhere in the post, is whether the box running xp has SP2 or not. I've seen people have all sorts of issues (some worked with it, some without), mine has it and it co-operates with linksys or generic wireless routers. The linksys wireless cards are tricky though in any linux I've tried.
I did manage to get one to work for a while in a Dell CPi, but then it quit and I never got it right again.

Glad to hear you are in business.

rarsa

#17 Post by rarsa »

The absolutelly easiest way is the following:

Get a second card for the windows computer (You may even get an USB ethernet addapter for almost no money so you don't have to open the other compuer, or you could get an internal card for about $1 or $2)

After that you just bridge the cards in windows. (I've done that even with wireless). To bridge the interfaces just do the following:

- Open the "Network Connections" in windows
- Select both connections, right click and select "Bridge Connections"
- Add each connection to the bridge by right clicking each connection and selecting "add to bridge"

As someone mentioned before you'll need the following:
- A cross over cable between the puppy computer and the XP computer.
- The DSL modem must include a DHCP server. If not you will need to set up a DHCP server in Windows and things get more complicated.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to